Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Z06 exhaust on Coupe mod

bluecoupe

Corvette
former C3&C5- future C7 when jr's college is paid
I am getting a Z06 exhaust. Is there anything extra I need to do in order to put it on my Coupe? Any gaskets, bolts. etc? Has anyone here done this mod?

No; they are direct swaps. When I did this my 2002 only had 3500 miles on it, so I even reused the gaskets.

The rear rubber supports (for the muffler hanger) have multiple notches used to level out the two mufflers. Try to use the same exact slots your existing mufflers are using.

I actually found it easier to remove the two bolts holding on each rubber support - made it easier to remove the mufflers. Then transfer the two hangers over to your TI set.

Mike,
Thanks for the advice. Did you notice any change in power or gas mileage? Did you change your intake too? Is there any more resonance (or buzzing) inside the car with The Z06 exhaust? I don't mind a little more engine rumble and growl in fact it'll be kind of cool.

Frank

That is great. The photos are very helpful. Thanks

No problem, make sure to torque everything properly and I'd use new GM gaskets. . . email me if you need the torque specs.

bluecoupe, there was no need to change my intake since (starting mid year 2001) all the C5 LS1's have the LS6 intake from the factory.

I noticed a change in the exhaust tone. A little deeper at idle; hardly any change at mid throttle, and louder (especially from outside the cockpit) during WOT.

About the only "real" performance gain IMO from the Z06 titaniums would be the weight reduction.

Agree with Mike. Also, I was planning on LG's longtubes plus a cam and I didn't want to get too loud. (I say "was" because the C6 is loooking pretty good...) :D

Thanks guys! :upthumbs
I'm picking them up Saturday. I can't wait to bolt those babys on.

What's so much better about the Z06 system, except that it's made from Titanium and therefore more durable and lighter??

Since 1993, Arvin, a market leader in OE exhaust products, has been working with Titanium Metals Corporation (TIMET), the world’s largest supplier of titanium raw material, on exhaust systems. GM came to Arvin with a challenge: build a muffler assembly that’s lighter than a stainless steel system, packages in the C5 and meets Team Corvette’s demanding performance goals. The results you’ll see under every Z06. It’s the first use, anywhere in the world, of titanium in a mass-produced, automotive exhaust system.

While Titanium is usually associated with exotic uses such as jet engine tail pipes, connecting rods in Formula 1 engines and Space Shuttle fuel systems, it’s common in nature being the fourth most abundant structural element. Titanium Oxide or "Rutile" ore occurs in ordinary, black beach sand.

From a performance standpoint, the stock C5 exhaust was already pretty good. Most C5ers buy aftermarket systems to change the sound and the look of the tailpipes. The Z06’s Arvin/TIMET exhaust not only weighs 41% less than the stainless system on other Corvettes, but to accommodate the LS6s increased exhaust flow, larger pipe sizes are used, the mufflers were changed to enhance flow and sound and the tips are different.

http://www.c5registry.com/zo6/hib/page5.htm

If titanium is so abundant why is it so expensive???

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom