Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Z06 headers any HP gain?

Pseudomind

Corvette
2002 MY Roadster
I have performed some preliminary research and I cannot find where switching to headers on the Z06 makes much difference. Anyone have any links or input regarding horsepower gain by adding headers?

Thanks

There is maybe somewhere in the hood of about 10,000 posts containing info on headers here. Now that's a rough guess, prob more like double or triple that.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/search.php?searchid=3240699

or

http://corvettemechanic.com/board/i..._in=posts&result_type=topics&highlite=headers

Good luck.

Let me post a little clarification here, I am talking about headers and staying street legal, and using the stock Z06 exhaust with them. Would there be a worthwhile HP difference?

OK there may be 20,000 posts with something about headers in them. I played that game for a while and gave up, no actual spec sheet information just a bunch different chit-chat and selfperceived gain information. There certainly is not 20,000 header manufactures, so for the number of manufactures who make headers, where are their before and after dyno specification sheets.

I think if I was manufacturing and selling headers, this would be a very good marketing tool, unless the real reason was very little HP gain actually associated with adding headers. I am not talking about what an advertisement page may have on it, but where to see, obtain, or verify the real data from a before/after install.

Where are the before/after dyno sheet facts?

Thanks

I think if I was manufacturing and selling headers, this would be a very good marketing tool, unless the real reason was very little HP gain actually associated with adding headers. I am not talking about what an advertisement page may have on it, but where to see, obtain, or verify the real data from a before/after install.

Thanks
Sure it's there I have seen them LG motorsports in Wyle TX
My first post has their web page & phone number!
Lou is a great guy and races using these he also has before and after dyno sheets with and with out stock exhaust.
I'm sure the vette doctors do too as well as Kook's

it's not a pipe dream and its out there if you look.

Thanks for what information has currently been posted I went to the L and G site a couple of times and if the Dyno results are there I missed them.

It is not a big deal or am I trying to make it one, just figured that those who have added headers to their C-5's would be familiar with some links. I am just trying to locate some information for later use. I will try the Vette Doctor site.

I am not planning on doing anything at the moment, just researching.

:upthumbs

Thanks for what information has currently been posted I went to the L and G site a couple of times and if the Dyno results are there I missed them.

It is not a big deal or am I trying to make it one, just figured that those who have added headers to their C-5's would be familiar with some links. I am just trying to locate some information for later use. I will try the Vette Doctor site.

I am not planning on doing anything at the moment, just researching.

:upthumbs
No the dyno sheets are not on their web site Lou has posted them before on the corvetteforum under autocross & road racing though I'm sure he will email you a copy if you write or call. from what I have seen any where from 20-maybe 75 hp gains with his headers custom tune adds when combined with the headers as the stock setting is quite rich.:beer

Let me post a little clarification here, I am talking about headers and staying street legal, and using the stock Z06 exhaust with them. Would there be a worthwhile HP difference?

OK there may be 20,000 posts with something about headers in them. I played that game for a while and gave up, no actual spec sheet information just a bunch different chit-chat and selfperceived gain information. There certainly is not 20,000 header manufactures, so for the number of manufactures who make headers, where are their before and after dyno specification sheets.

Thanks
Sorry about that boss. Did give you a couple good places to search from, but I'm not going to search for them either, but I have seen comparison dyno sheets posted. And as mentioned, yes there are HP gains to be found with long tubes and very little with sorties. If you did read some of the posts more then most are very happy with results, and sound difference is outstanding. Stock cats just seem to hold back with or without headers. Don't get me wrong, I'm on the left coast and stock is important with all the green people running around and most of them drive black and whites. :D

Doing headers and leaving stock exhaust is kinda worthless,to be legal get some hi flow mini cat's.On my 03 I had headers,with mini cats,and bullet mufflers sound really good.

he dyno sheets are indeed on the LGmotorsports site. Very impressive.

Hey Psuedo,
I am doing the same research. I did go to LG and had the same problem you had, I could not locate the Dyno results. I then did an Internet search for LG Motorsports, and one of the results said "Z06 Dyno Results" that link took me to them. They are impressive. Good Luck and God Bless
Steve

Go to this web site and give these guys a call: http://www.tonyscorvetteshop.com/.

They have access to long tube headers that fit very tight to the body and can work with the stock exhaust. I have a set on mine. I had other mods done at the same time, so I don't know how much horsepower gain I received.

Hi Pseudomind -

I put LG Long tube pro's on my Z, and coupled with a tune I picked up 33 rwhp. My car does not have cats, but I retained the stock Ti catback.

Using the metal matrix high flow cats will only cost you 3-5 rwhp, so it is still a good bump in ponies - but it is the increase in rwtq that will make you feel like the money was well spent.

In addition, if you ever decide to go h/c and intake/tb modding, you will gain even more with the headers.

Plus they sound great.

best regards -
mqqn

Thanks all, I have found some dyno sheets, but more questions:

1. What is the performance differences between the long tube headers and the short tube headers?

[I have been reading something about the scavening point, supposedly what I am guessing is this, it has to do with changing the optimal RPM range for better/more torque?]

so now question number 2

2. Exactly what is meant by scavenging

Thanks

Doing headers and leaving stock exhaust is kinda worthless,to be legal get some hi flow mini cat's.

I agree. The whole point in headers is not only hp gains but allowing your engine to breath more easily. Easier flow gives extra hp as an added side effect.

Go for long tube headers, X-pipe, high flo cats and an upgraded exhaust system. All perfectly street legal. When I had my last state inspection with the "probes" inserted into the exhaust my C5 passed with nary a scant look. It did seem like the tech went for an extra long road test. Checking the brakes maybe?

I had my C5 dyno'd before and after the headers and X-pipe. I picked up an additional 20 hp at the rear wheels.

At the end of the day it's your Corvette. Whatever puts a smile on your face is all that's important. Whether it's one mod or the other, or all the mods. If your driving your Vette with a big grin on your face, that is priceless.

:)

Thanks all, I have found some dyno sheets, but more questions:

1. What is the performance differences between the long tube headers and the short tube headers?

[I have been reading something about the scavening point, supposedly what I am guessing is this, it has to do with changing the optimal RPM range for better/more torque?]

so now question number 2

2. Exactly what is meant by scavenging

Thanks

Shorty headers provide a little better exhaust flow than the stock exhaust manifolds in that the exhaust gases have their own individual path to follow for a short distance before combining at the collector. This helps reduce some of the backpressure in the cylinders and on the engine, thus allowing the engine to breath a little easier and run a little more efficiently. Unlike the stock exhaust manifolds where the exhaust gases combine almost immediately upon exit from the combustion chamber.

The long tube headers have a longer path for the exhaust gases to follow before being combined at the collector. This reduces the backpressure on the engine quite a bit more than the shorties. This even greater decrease in backpressure allows the engine to breath even easier and provide even more power in most cases. This decrease in backpressure also allows the exhaust gases to leave the combustion chamber easier (flow out easier), thus leaving a "cleaner" chamber for the next injection of fuel and air for combustion/detonation.

The more exhaust gases that can be "scavenged" from the combustion chamber results in a "purer" mixture for the next detonation cycle. The long tube headers provide a longer path for the exhaust gases to follow, thus resulting in the combustion chamber having been better scavenged of the spent fuel and air. The shortie headers do a better job of scavenging than the stock exhaust manifolds, but nothing like the long tubes.

You also asked earlier about header gains and types of headers to use. LG Motorsports probably makes the best header for horsepower gain. One comment about the LG headers is that they typically hang about and inch or so lower than the exhaust system. The Vette is low enough as it is, but now you exacerbate the situation with a header that reduces that ground clearance even more.

Melrose makes headers specifically for Vettes. Their headers tuck very close to the bottom of the car. They don't reduce ground clearance much more than about a 1/4 or 1/2 inch below the exhaust system. You can review dyno results from different shops that have installed their headers at melroseheaders.com. Might want to check them out.

No, I don't work for Melrose. Their headers are on my ZO6 and it's a sweet set up.

Thanks ScatRat for a very well stated and thought out answer. I am sure there are others who visit the forum and who you have answered the same question for which they may of had in their minds.

I would even recommend that your answer be put into the "How To Section," as a lead in for anyone who is installing headers or anyone who has a basic exhaust question.

Four :upthumbs :upthumbs 's up!

Thanks ScatRat for a very well stated and thought out answer. I am sure there are others who visit the forum who you have answered the same question for in their minds.

I would even recommend that your answer be put into the "How To Section," as a lead in for anyone who is installing headers or anyone who has a basic exhaust question.

Four :upthumbs :upthumbs 's up!

Thank you.

I guess it would be up to Rob and the administrators to decide if they want to put it in the "How to Section."

That said, if you're interested, there's a previous thread, "What should a stock Zzz be putting down for HP" that has some spotty discussions about performance gains. The general concensus was that long tube headers, bullet catcons, x-pipe, and stock or aftermarket mufflers were the most HP gain for the $$$$.

:w

Well written ScatRat, I think I would like to add long tube headers to my car as well.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom