Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Z06 Recall

B

bjsanders_

The paint job on our '06 Z06 (black) was lousy to the point that GM sent PPG to Aurora, CO to correct the paint job. GM repainted the hood, the paint was so soft that a finger print etched the paint at this point there was a recall on the top and GM removed to repair. To remedy the soft paint we put a black cherry pearlescent clear coat over the black paint. Now there is another recall on the top and I was told that they would have to repaint the top but won't replace the special paint - in their words "it's not our fault that you put the special paint on the car", well yes it is. In other words, it is not our fault that GM cannot engineer a roof on a car after 3 tries. Does anyone know who we can talk to?

The dealer we bought the car from says "this is wrong" but does nothing to help.

On another subject for those of you who own the Z06, my wife scratched the rocker panel on the passenger door, when I had it repaired it was discovered that the rear suspension was falling apart (under normal street use) with no provocation. GM repaired this at their cost, as they should have. This car has lead a soft life and this should not have happened and could have been dangerous.

Any suggestions?

I think you're screwed on the hood. Putting a clear coat over bad paint really wouldn't have fixed the problem. I suspect you went with the black cherry pearl just as much because it looks cool as it was in a misguided attempt to fix the paint.

You should have gone back to GM a second time rather than trying to solve the problem with the pearlescent clear. You're going to have a tough time "winning" that one, even in court.

Admittedly the situation might not be fair in our estimation but it's to the letter of the warranty and I think GM has a good point when they tell you "It's not our fault you put the special paint on the car."

When you say the rear suspension was "falling apart" can you be more specific?

I can't advise you whom to speak with, but I would be equally as :mad as you are. I'm dissapointed to hear the troubles and makes me nervous about mine.

I would at the very least invest a few hours calling around GM and not taking no for an answer.... see how high up the ladder you get!

Good luck - Dave

OP~ Here's what I would do~
First, I'd forget using GM for the roof seperation problem. Remove the roof liner from the framing yourself, go to a marine supply store and ask for some *epoxy" that sets up quickly. I can get you some specific part numbers if you'd like. This will retain your "custom painted" roof.

Need more info on the "falling apart" rear suspension part. If it's the bolts that hold the rear swaybar, then that is a well known issue with C6's. I've seen lots and lots of bolts backed out a dozen turns, bolts missing and one swaybar missing.

It's always a good idea to "get underneath" your car for inspection during periodic maintanance (PM's.)

** I just checked with a fellow Corvette owner who is also a licensed skipper. He told me to use 3M 5200 "fast cure" adhesive. It comes in black or white.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom