Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Z06 - Replacement Windshield

D

Dave123

I recieved a stone chip to my passenger side front windshield. Insurance will pick up the repair or replacement. I am going to have the chip repaired due to location and size. This will allow the windshield to remain original and maintain the factory seal, etc. However, I did call many dealerships and Chevrolet customer assistance in regards to a factory replacement windshield (In case the repair is not successful). To my surprise the stock Z06 windshield is not available?? If your not aware both the front and rear windshield are unique on the Z06 (thinner glass) for mass savings.

Does anyone know HOW to obtain a stock replacement. Sounds like Chevrolet does not offer a replacement through the dealers, etc to allow our vehicle to remain stock!!

Has anyone else run into this issue......

wow- I knew the windshield was different, but didn't realize you can't get the stock Z06 windshield. That's bad! I wonder if that has always been the case, or if they have been discontinued?

By the way, welcome to the Corvette Action Center!

Tammy

I just read in "Roger Corvette" History:

The 2002 Z06 windshield was thinner than that used in the coupe models, shaving 2.65 pounds per car. The lighter windshield was shared with convertibles equipped with the Heads Up Display (HUD) option, which was standard on 2002 Z06 models.

CAN ANYONE VERIFY THAT THIS IS A FACT??

Just spoke with a Chevy Dealer friend . . . he said it can be had . . . the best way to get it is to order it thru a Reputable Glass Company and specify OEM Glass . . . he said it's much cheaper and quicker that way.

Well, that's a relief! Thanks, Dwayne! I had a couple of rocks hit my windshield during some high winds in western Kansas and eastern Colorado as I was returning from Cruisefest. Although they don't appear to have done any damage, the noise was jarring when it happened, and it made me start thinking about what would I do if I had to replace my windshield for some reason.

-Patrick

Mine is broken on my ZO6 and have not attempted to have it repaired yet. That's good to know about the availability.

There are two methods to replace a C5 windshield. The best way involves partially unbolting the front fenders. The second way did not involve the fenders but has been discontinued by GM. There is a TSB on it. Check your GM Service Manual to make sure the installer knows what they are doing.

I contacted one of my friends that works @GM on the corvette platform in engineering. Here are the facts:

The actual windshield assembly used for Z06 (body code 37) and the convertible (body code 67) is still available through service. The assembly part number is 10315114, which consists of the windshield P/N 10316126 (4.8mm thick) and mirror bracket P/N 25653132.

The supplier is AP Technoglass.

FYI... I am told that it is fairly common that the correct glass is not always used for replacement. So be careful to recieve the correct stock replacement glass!! The incorrect glass may work fine (assuming you have HUD compatibility), although the glass may be a bit quieter, less prone to cracks but HEAVIER.

This closes this subject....

TODD L GRIFFITH said:
Mine is broken on my ZO6 and have not attempted to have it repaired yet. That's good to know about the availability.
That's downright scary considering the speeds you drive at, Todd!:)

-John

I don't think you are correct.

GM Canada can replace this windshield.

And, yes it is very different. Also remember that the area where the HUD is projected, this area is treated to allow proper reflection. The windshield should be available from your GM dealer. I had mine replaced a year ago with out any issues. (all GM).

-Bill.

Smook,

Did you read my thread posted today at 7:28 A.M.??

Yes, the glass is available. P/N and added details contained in thread...

DAVE

JJS said:
That's downright scary considering the speeds you drive at, Todd!:)

-John
(Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Top Secret Classified Info. JJS) Yes mine is a crack at the base of the windshield. Hit by a rock. It was a spider for awhile then one cold night with the defroster on BOOM! It cracked in this wierd circle .....................thing. It measures about 6"x6" and is located directly above the HUD.

Get a real laugh at the windshield having to remain factory stock. When alot of guys mod the hell out of factory stock pieces caring less about remaining stock.. What a joke!!!

bobby1 said:
Get a real laugh at the windshield having to remain factory stock. When alot of guys mod the hell out of factory stock pieces caring less about remaining stock.. What a joke!!!
The joke is that the ZO6 windshield is a thinner glass and offers a big weight savings over the coupe and vert. Corvette windshields. We want the right one due to its weight. ;LOLnow that's funny!!

TODD L GRIFFITH said:
The joke is that the ZO6 windshield is a thinner glass and offers a big weight savings over the coupe and vert. Corvette windshields. We want the right one due to its weight. ;LOLnow that's funny!!

The funny part is the weight savings of about 2.5 lbs... that's the difference of driving to dinner and home from dinner... better do your racing on an empty stomach.;LOL ;LOL

lov-n-life said:
The funny part is the weight savings of about 2.5 lbs... that's the difference of driving to dinner and home from dinner... better do your racing on an empty stomach.;LOL ;LOL

Every bit of less weight helps. I'm still trying to work off the weight of those porky chromed ZO6 rims. A regular windshield is just setting me back even more.
I may want to race on the way home from dinner, might as well have my wife walk home too. It's all lov-in-life's fault I told her. Now she will direct her nagging at him instead of me!! :eek
:L That's not funny, it is a relief!!

Thanks, where do I find the TSB on correct windshield replacement? My DEALER broke my windshield and all of a sudden got a mjor case of the "dumbs" about how to replace it.......thanks for any help duntov_99.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom