Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZF6: Is brake fluid ok?

S

sothpaw

Hayne's manual says dot3 brake fluid is ok.

However, the owner's manual has some special GM hydraulic fluid.

What do you guys use for the clutch fluid in the ZF6?

Also--is there any trick to getting the reservoir cap off? Mine seems stuck on real tight, could not open with my hand. It's in a tight space too.

Dot 3 brake fluid is fine (and what I use). Valvoline makes a synthetic dot 4 that I hear is good stuff (just more expensive). The cap should just twist right off. Try removing the ECM for better access, two 10mm (or maybe it was 7mm??) screws are all that holds it in.

Gorgon said:
One 10mm bolt on the ECM and it slides off the post...

Leon
Oh, I removed the ECM, all 3 bolts, and pushed it out of the way (positioned ECM on the ASR module).

But man, that cap is stuck, it won't budge for nothing. It looks very flimsy too, I try to hold the bottom while I twist the cap because it looks like I could easily twist the whole assembly off.

The special clutch fluid's claim to fame is it's better than brke fluid lubricity. Clutch MCs get stroked further more frequently than brake M cylinders. A lot of people get away with DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid, I prefer clutch fluid because of the extra lubricity. Your choice.

I like the gm spec fluid, not that expensive. To get the cap off "gently" use some channel locks. It tends to be "stuck" but should twist right off.

froggy47 said:
I like the gm spec fluid, not that expensive. To get the cap off "gently" use some channel locks. It tends to be "stuck" but should twist right off.

What are channel locks??

Did you get the gm fluid at the local dealer? Know if the Dot3 generic brake fluid will work anyway?

Thanks

Channellock Pliers.

ChannellockPliers.bmp

sothpaw said:
What are channel locks??

Did you get the gm fluid at the local dealer? Know if the Dot3 generic brake fluid will work anyway?

Thanks
The old brake fluid will work but I would put the good stuff in there!

sothpaw said:

Thanks
The GM fluid comes from the dealer. DOT3 will work and there is nothing wrong with using it short term if you need to. You might not even have any problems using it long term, but it doesn't lubricate the seal as well and you might have shorter master and slave cylinder life. Your choice.

Andy, I've got a set of channel locks that should be the right size for you if you want to borrow them.

Did you get to Carlisle?
[RICHR]

rrubel said:
Andy, I've got a set of channel locks that should be the right size for you if you want to borrow them.

Did you get to Carlisle?
[RICHR]
Thanks, Rich. I'm going to try an oil filter wrench tonight, and if that fails, maybe I'll borrow those for a night or so.

Yes, Friday as planned. My comments on the C6 are over in the C6 tech area.
I didn't do well on parts. Nobody had a 4+3 OD button, tried the best 4 vendors (it was hot so I only stopped at the best vendors for plastic parts). The other part had to be pulled out from under a dash.

Are you off on Monday? I am; if nothing else you could drop by after work or something.

Wish I'd been there to grab the part from under the dash. That's how I got my last one at a reasonable price.
[RICHR]

sothpaw said:
Oh, I removed the ECM, all 3 bolts, and pushed it out of the way (positioned ECM on the ASR module).

Did you remove the ECM from its housing? Perhaps the 95 setup is different, but one 10mm bolt will allow you to slide the ECM in its housing out of the way. With a quick look this morning I see two 7mm bolts holding the ECM in its housing.

rrubel said:
Are you off on Monday? I am; if nothing else you could drop by after work or something.

Wish I'd been there to grab the part from under the dash. That's how I got my last one at a reasonable price.
[RICHR]
Rich,

Oh no, there was not dash to grab it from. What I meant was, the vendor said that was the only way I would find one. He didn't have the dash either. I didn't see any. But mostly, I focused on the 4+3 button. I guy said he had just sold one 10 min earlier, but he was a pricier place, would have been 10 bucks I bet. I can give you cards.

Gordon,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think '93 is different from '95. I take out 3 10 mm OD (thread is 5mm) heavy duty nuts (which have washers intergral) and I can move the entire ECM box completely out of the way. I can't see a need to tear the ECM apart unless I think the electronics are bad--and that box has a lot of screws.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom