Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZO6 Exhaust

S

ScatRat

Now, on to another subject about the ZO6. I'm really curious as to why would anyone want to change out a factory, all titanium exhaust that has been tweaked for optimum performance?

Are the aftermarket exhausts REALLY that much better? Has anyone made any comparisons before and after - RWHP, 1/4 times, torque?

Thoughts/comments....:bu

I thought about that question myself. You also see a lot of C5 guys going with Z06 exhausts systems on their coupes and verts cause it's cheaper than the aftermarket systems.

I think that on a dyno, you could get more TQ and HP. But I would've figured that with the additional weight, it wouldn't really matter.

From the stats I've seen it really comes down to one thing. Sound. I put the borla on mine because of the agressive tone. I think the only way to gain anything on the exhaust side is to replace the headers, cats and install an x-pipe.

Hi ScatRat -

The Z06 Ti system is lighter - it might have minimal flow advantage.

The primary reason the Z06 flow better is the elimination of the "pup cats" - the initial light off catalytic converters. The Z06 has a special "two element" catalyst media that lights off quickly and will pass an emission test before it is warmed up.

The Ti system will outlast the car , although I did read about a couple of the OEM Ti's having internal welds come loose and cause ungodly rattling...

Most of the folks who go to headers will put on an x pipe and then a high-flow cat back - like stingers. The two-outlet stingers are light by virtue of simplicity.

If I go to the LG long tubes and a head/cam setup - I will also have the borla stingers...just dreaming...

It is very hard IMO to justify removing the Ti unless your have a really good reason to do so - not much - if any - HP to gain here.

best regards -

mqqn

I had the Borlas on my LT1 and they really sounded nice. But, I do like the sound of the ZO6 exhaust when it's at WOT. It definitely sounds off and has the solid performance car sound. I can't think of any other STOCK exhaust I've ever heard that sounds as good as this one.

Has anyone seen any comparison tests and numbers on the aftermarket systems by any of the performance magazines?

I kept the Titanium Z06 catbacks ...through long tube headers and it works great.

Sound with a 224/224 114lsa cam through stock titanium cat back works for me..

Fyi..Z06 titanium exhaust flows 30 % better than stock C5 coupe or convertible cat back and weighs half as much.

Not a big deal but about all this motor needs . IMHO..

HTH

JB

Does anyone know what percent better the flow is from Borla Stingers as compared to stock coupe, convertable and Z06? That's what I would like to know. Also, What is the weight comparison between the Z06 titanium system and the Borlas? Thanks in advance guys.

Pac-man said:
Does anyone know what percent better the flow is from Borla Stingers as compared to stock coupe, convertable and Z06? That's what I would like to know. Also, What is the weight comparison between the Z06 titanium system and the Borlas? Thanks in advance guys.
Keep in mind at a certain point a reduction in backpressure hits a wall of diminishing returns..thats why most aftermarket exhausts for the most part are for sound quality rather than hp improvement.

Thats why a lot of coupe and convertible owners go for the Z06 titanium exhausts..They flow 30% better than the original exhaust catback that GM released with the coupe/vert..

The Borlas will dramatically flow better...sound much louder if you opt for the stingers etc..The stingers weigh within a few pounds of the Z06 titanium and sound like a Nascar racer..

A very cool sound..one that makes a stock Z06 almost unheard when parked and running next to each other..

The hp difference between the Titanium and the Borla is within the range of error on a dyno..5 hp...some get less..some get a few more..but in my opinion its a dyno variance error factor more than anything else..

Go for the borla if you like the sound..

Same can be said of many aftermarket catbacks...although often some of the catbacks can weigh quite a bit more than the borla stingers..

Be aware some various aftermarkets do create a slight resonance where the titanium Z06 exhausts do not. I am personally of the belief that resonance can in some instances set off the knock sensors and lower performance. JMO

I hope this helps..

How close do you think the Borlas come to hitting the backpressure wall that you spoke of? You stated that they flow much better that the Z06 Tit.

I'd say from a hp perspective you'll be within 3 to 5 hp tops even on a heads and cam car....

GM's really did a great job with the Stock LS6 titianium catback...although the sound is not as deep or loud as aftermarket units..its because GM has to pass drive by noise standards that the aftermarket does not have to adhere too..

This is just my opinion but from my research...even removing the cat back entirely and running a completely open exhaust..meaning there is no backpressure from any type of catback..just doesn't give that much hp...and sometimes can give a decrease in horsepower..

Buy any aftermarket catback because the fantastic sound it makes and your good to go..Sometimes a few ponies might show up on a dyno...but in my opinion..its more a variance of the dyno than a representation of the cat backs worth..

Please note this is just my opinion. Many others may feel otherwise.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

MARKETING, thats the botton line!!!!! Are you willing to spend 6-800 bucks for noise and possibly a loss in power.I sure wouldn't!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Sounds like headers yield the best gains. This is in line with what I've experienced through the years. The best investment for power for the lowest cost has always been a set of headers. Seems to still apply.

Might try the X-pipe though. H-pipes were always a good way to equalize flow in a dual exhaust system. Helped with back pressure and create a more laminar flow through the pipes. The X-pipe is a natural progression from the H-pipe. Be interesting to see what it does.

Titanium is good

JBsC5 said:
Keep in mind at a certain point a reduction in backpressure hits a wall of diminishing returns..thats why most aftermarket exhausts for the most part are for sound quality rather than hp improvement.

That point is not until you have open headers with no exhaust at all. All the exhaust systems offer sufficient back pressure. The stock Z06 exhaust is really good, but aftermarket systems flow better. Sound is a personal choice so you have to make that decision yourself. As for weight savings, I don't think another ~20 lbs is going to make that big a difference.

HP vs. weight is everything. I think losing 20lbs off of a car is great. I'll take it.

ScatRat said:
Now, on to another subject about the ZO6. I'm really curious as to why would anyone want to change out a factory, all titanium exhaust that has been tweaked for optimum performance?

Are the aftermarket exhausts REALLY that much better? Has anyone made any comparisons before and after - RWHP, 1/4 times, torque?

Thoughts/comments....:bu
Are they that much better? I guess that depends strictly on the driver and what you're looking for, if at all, in an aftermarket exhaust. I opted for the Borla Stingers for a couple of reasons and am exceptionally satisfied with the result. Only in my humble opinion, but it sounds mean when I want it to, docile and deeper at idle and positively ruthless at WOT! Additionally, the look is great with those 4 inch wide tips. You can actually feel the car breath better, especially if it is balanced by a better breathing intake system. I went with the Vortex Ram Air unit. The car revs somewhat easier in my estimation. The Stinger system is much smaller and lighter than the large stock titanium mufflers. (Got them put away in case the stainless only last 25 years or so - ha!) I can certainly understand not wanting to get too far away from stock and I realize also the fever of modding the Z but I kept all the stock parts should I ever decide to reverse myself. :L

I agree that the borla stingers especially with the four beautiful tips are stunning...and sound great..

I just would recommend considering if you could live with it everyday..

After awhile any aftermarket catback can be annoying from a noise perspective and from alerting the police..

Just an opinion that I had when I had the Corsa Indy's on my 1999 C5..

I loved them for the first year or so..but in the end..when I took them off and drove the car a few hundred miles to trade it in on my present Z06 ..I thought to myself..

I hate to say it but with the stock exhaust...I liked the car a little better.

In driving home..with the Z06 I was very pleased with the midway point of the titanium exhausts..

When I added headers/x pipe/high flow cats and then a higher lift/duration cam than stock..I knew I had made the right decision to not trade off for the aftermarket exhaust..

I came close many times as friends who were selling their Z06's were willing to sell me the borla quad tips for very little money, to the point where it would have been free..if I sold my stock titaniums and I just didn't want to do it..

Cool sounding Borla exhausts for sure but a bit too loud in a metro area with tons of cops..Headers and cam make them that much louder as well.

No wrong decision here between choices ...just personal preferences..

Decide where you want to go with your car and take it from there..

Good luck.

JB

I put B&B Bullets on mine. They're one of, if not the loudest. I can tell a LITTLE bit of more punch. Not enough to justify the cost. I just like the sound. They wouldn't work for me if it were an everyday driver. It's just owner preference as far as any mod goes.

When you understand why people do what they do, let us know. ;)

I guess I'm an old motorhead kind of guy. When I go for a performance mod, I want power. I look for add-ons that are going to provide more RWHP. The Borlas sounded great on my LT1, but they also gave me an additional 15+ RWHP. There was a noticeable seat of the pants difference in acceleration. That's what I shoot for. Sounds like the aftermarkets enhance the ZO6 exhaust note, but don't appear to provide a "noticeable" jump in output. As everyone has said in one way or another, it's a personal decision. Everyone's decision for themselves is the right one.

Scatrat, B&B bullets are claimed to give a 22 rwhp increase; slightly less for the Stingers. I've not had the car dyno'ed so I can't positively state that there was any gain but I wouldn't think anything was lost, power-wise but you are so correct about everyone's decision for themselves being the right one. :_rock

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom