Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZO6 Exhaust

ScatRat said:
Now, on to another subject about the ZO6. I'm really curious as to why would anyone want to change out a factory, all titanium exhaust that has been tweaked for optimum performance?

Are the aftermarket exhausts REALLY that much better? Has anyone made any comparisons before and after - RWHP, 1/4 times, torque?

Thoughts/comments....:bu

Who ever said anything on these cars was "tweaked for optimum performance?"

If that were true, there wouldn't be ANY aftermarket upgrades.

No Z06's running fastest times with engine mods are using the stock Ti exhaust.

For the simple fact. It's already on and sounds GREAT...

I leave the stock system alone. It's simple. It's there. It's works. And it doesn't cost me a penny more to upgrade it.

I've heard the differences on some of the z06's with their mods and find that the difference is NOT enough to warrant the money or the work to do it!

ENJOY THE RIDE.
Bill.:)

Wanna play? You gotta pay!

smook said:
For the simple fact. It's already on and sounds GREAT...

I leave the stock system alone. It's simple. It's there. It's works. And it doesn't cost me a penny more to upgrade it.

I've heard the differences on some of the z06's with their mods and find that the difference is NOT enough to warrant the money or the work to do it!

ENJOY THE RIDE.
Bill.:)

No one also said that modding vettes was inexpensive either -- far from it. BUT, with a little planning, and proper investment, these cars can be fast. They're just, so-so, stock.;shrug

Most major tuners admit the exhaust on the Z06 gets the job done as well as the more expensive and louder aftermarket cat backs..

Most guys who do catbacks do it for the cool sound..Not power.

Not sure about that...

JBsC5 said:
Most major tuners admit the exhaust on the Z06 gets the job done as well as the more expensive and louder aftermarket cat backs..

Most guys who do catbacks do it for the cool sound..Not power.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. There have always been gains with aftermarket exhaust systems. For those who like the idea of a Ti exhaust, sure go ahead and leave it on there. If you're not modding much, if at all, it probably IS fine. Besides, if you're leasing your vette, you may not want to mod too much anyway.

I think to say that most vette owners change exhaust systems, just for the sound is quite a generalization. That would make me believe these people didn't/don't really consider what they are buying and are just modding blindly.

The tuners I communicate with, including myself, deal with some pretty radical engine build ups so I guess I'm referring to a slightly elevated group that really wants to push the capabilities of these cars.

"Gets the job done" is a little vague. Does that mean your vette is a point A to point B type of vehicle? Afterall, a minivan "gets the job done", right?

Disagreeing is often what these forums are all about..

To each is own.

JB

2001 ZO6 w/ Halltech Tunnel Ram, TTP 224/224 114 LSA 396 RWHP Package, FLP headers,3.73 Getrag Rear,2004 Z06 shocks,Shaner S2 TB,Hurst

I guess you can MOD your Z06 Exhaust for Performance and/or Sound.
I would like a little deeper tone to the exhaust, but $600-$1000 for another exhaust is alittle spendy for me. Now a nice bolt on muffler that attaches directly to the exsisting hardware would be nice. As long as you wouldn't sacrafice performance in the process.
Gus

GusVette, "a nice bolt on muffler that attaches directly to the existing hardware" is exactly what every cat-back system available is. And how would you possibly be sacrificing performance? I'm lost.

Pac-man said:
GusVette, "a nice bolt on muffler that attaches directly to the existing hardware" is exactly what every cat-back system available is. And how would you possibly be sacrificing performance? I'm lost.
The aftermarket systems are mufflers with welded pipes and tips, true, but to just weld in another set of mufflers is sort of a band aid, isn't it?

Why not get a system and let the mfcrs warranty deal with it if you rust or separate somewhere? You may not sacrifice performance, but is it the best option?

Anything from a car manufacturer represents a compromise - not necessarily a bad thing - there's a large constituency to satisfy. IMO the Z06 is a nice inexpensive upgrade on a stock car where someone doesn't want resonance or more sound. But if you want sound, go with an aftermarket cat back.

IMO, aftermarket air intakes and exhauast systems (including headers) have to produce greater, noticable power over stock/near stock components where the engine has other performance enhancements.

Years ago..on different cars..with different technology's..I'd say swapping out an exhaust is a good way to get some power..but its not necessarily the case with the Z06 corvette's titanium exhaust.

With a stock C5 you might benefit more from either upgrading to the titanium z06 exhaust or another aftermarket exhaust as there is a difference of flow rates from the Ti. to the stock Corvette coupe and convertible..

In the area of 30% more air flow..but and this is kind of the point..for the most part..even with heads/long tube headers and emission friendly cams..The stk titaniums flow so close to what you need...the purchase is primarily for sound..

if any one is interested in a very well priced preowned cat back..hit this link

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58756

All great choices on the exhausts..either stock..titanium ...aftermarket..

Its really a good decision to go to an event ..or a shop and listen to what sounds good to you.

I liked the corsa Indy's with protips I had on my 1999 C5...A lot of people told me they sounded awesome..and it was fun to have..

Personally after awhile I tired of it..and if I were to do it again..I think the X pipe would be key..to smooth out the motorboat idle that eventually irrated me....(but the first year was a glorious sounding car!)

I almost bought the borlas for like free for my Z but as awesome as they sounded..and it was awesome! I couldn't live with long term...

and thats just a personal choice..

No wrong decisions..just personal ones..

Heres a sound clip of my car with the mods in the signature..Its just about the right level of sound w/the mods and the stock titaniums.. (hit the JB's exhaust file as you scroll down..)

http://www.crossedflags.com/nuke/html/modules.php?name=Jinzora&ptype=songs&genre=&artist=&album=Misc

What do U think?

My understanding of this issue is that there is no "low hanging fruit" to be plucked here. If one reads the MidAmerica, Ecklers, etc, there are claims of better flow, more HP, etc with exhaust and intake swaps. The problem may come when a person thinks "intake 15HP, MAF 10HP, exhaust 15HP = 40HP total". Nope. Won't happen. From what I have read, the only way to get really significant improvement in HP by improving engine breathing is to do the whole system, using long tube headers, low restriction cats, and all the pieces on both sides of the engine. The cost for that is fairly high, and it could well be possible to get more 'bang for the buck' with some other modifications. Many of the intake/exhaust mods have been dyno tested, before and after. Look in the various Corvette magazines for this. There just isn't that much to be gained. I bought a VaraRam, which seemed to me to have the best objective data supporting its use. It raised my trap speed in the 1/4 mile 3MPH. Is it worth $400 to get 3MPH? I guess that is a personal choice. After all this rambling, my point is that the stock systems are not that bad and significant gains can be made only by dealing with the whole system, not just a piece here and a piece there.

DRTH VTR said:
After all this rambling, my point is that the stock systems are not that bad and significant gains can be made only by dealing with the whole system, not just a piece here and a piece there.

I totally agree with you. People tend to add power gains in a linear way and that's just not realistic. And it's not just heads & cam. You gotta do the whole exhaust and the intake. And then it's the gears and torque convertor and then tires & wheels. It's almost never ending!

It's like if you shower every day, but you don't wear deoderant or wash your clothes; you're still gonna stink! :L

Edmond said:
I totally agree with you. People tend to add power gains in a linear way and that's just not realistic. And it's not just heads & cam. You gotta do the whole exhaust and the intake. And then it's the gears and torque convertor and then tires & wheels. It's almost never ending!

It's like if you shower every day, but you don't wear deoderant or wash your clothes; you're still gonna stink! :L
The way I figured my horse power increase was this way:
I added a Vortex Ram Air intake along with the larger air duct = 3 hp
Borla Stinger system........................................................= 4 hp
Deodorant......................................................................= 10 hp
Car shower daily..............................................................= 20 hp
Hot dog, that's 37 horsies!!! ;LOL

Z_OH_6 said:
The way I figured my horse power increase was this way:
I added a Vortex Ram Air intake along with the larger air duct = 3 hp
Borla Stinger system........................................................= 4 hp
Deodorant......................................................................= 10 hp
Car shower daily..............................................................= 20 hp
Hot dog, that's 37 horsies!!! ;LOL

I call BS on all those mods, maybe except for the deodorant one! If you want some real power, send me a signed, blank check and I'll guarantee you unlimited power with this:

superchevy.jpg

Yep, that's the exact size as that sticker comes. If the ricers can gain power by stickers, we can gain "Super Chevy" power with our stickers!

:L ;LOL

Anybody ever hear of losing hp or performance when bolting on a aftermarket catback?

JBsC5 said:
Anybody ever hear of losing hp or performance when bolting on a aftermarket catback?

Never heard of that. But I think some have perceived the loss of power when going with a larger diameter system because it moves the power curve higher.

I think some people don't realize this, but if you lose 10lbft of torque at 3000RPM to gain 5 HP at 6000RPM, you just slowed your car down on any acceleration test except one that starts well above 3000RPM.

Someone said before that if the stock system was sufficient then there wouldn't be a market for aftermarket exhaust. Wrong.....Flowmaster, Corsa, and Borla would try to sell their stuff even if it flowed worse than the stock ones. They want to make money. And many people would still buy them.

That said, Chevrolet didn't just arbitrarily stick random mufflers on the Z06. I'm sure if they were going to the trouble of changing the muffler design over the standard Corvette and changing the thing to titanium, there was some engineering involved in the performance aspect. At least as much as what went into the other system's designs.

I think that if your engine is stock internally, then you won't gain any performance advantage by changing your exhaust. You'll gain sound difference and weight, but nothing noteworthy in the performance realm.
If you make your engine breath much better (by heads, camshaft, displacement change...etc NOT by adding some different intake ducting) then you might have something to gain. But unless your engine is flowing significantly more air than the stock engine, the stock exhaust is fine.

Also, changing pipes size in the last 1/2 of the exhaust system is fairly useless. The exhaust gas has cooled sufficiently by that point that there is not much air density compared to the first 1/2 of the system. Think about the exhaust gas coming out of the cylinder at 1300'F degrees, and then coming out our tailpipe at around 150'F...that's quite a dramatic drop in temperature, thus air pressure. Because of this, the muffler design is the only real thing that can cause backpressure.... and the stock Z06 muffler is pretty good.

Headers are a different story...they do reduce backpressure but not because the pipe by itself flows significantly better than the stock manifold. The reduce backpressure by timing the exhaust pulses to help scavenge each other and the cylinders.

:cheers:

-Dave C. '04 Z06

DRTH VTR said:
My understanding of this issue is that there is no "low hanging fruit" to be plucked here. If one reads the MidAmerica, Ecklers, etc, there are claims of better flow, more HP, etc with exhaust and intake swaps. The problem may come when a person thinks "intake 15HP, MAF 10HP, exhaust 15HP = 40HP total". Nope. Won't happen. From what I have read, the only way to get really significant improvement in HP by improving engine breathing is to do the whole system, using long tube headers, low restriction cats, and all the pieces on both sides of the engine. The cost for that is fairly high, and it could well be possible to get more 'bang for the buck' with some other modifications. Many of the intake/exhaust mods have been dyno tested, before and after. Look in the various Corvette magazines for this. There just isn't that much to be gained. I bought a VaraRam, which seemed to me to have the best objective data supporting its use. It raised my trap speed in the 1/4 mile 3MPH. Is it worth $400 to get 3MPH? I guess that is a personal choice. After all this rambling, my point is that the stock systems are not that bad and significant gains can be made only by dealing with the whole system, not just a piece here and a piece there.
An old rule of thumb from prehistoric times (i.e, before today's auto computers and today's EFI systems), a 100 bucks spent on performance mods could yield an additional MPH or 0.1 sec in the quarter. You came pretty close to that mark. Need to take inflation into account I guess. ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom