Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZO6 Performance - 1/4 mile

UB2 SLOW said:
Those are pretty consistant. What do you have as a 60ft time?
There is where I need to improve. I have improved from 2.2-2.4 to 2.0-2.1. There is still room to get better there.
Jim

DRTH VTR said:
There is where I need to improve. I have improved from 2.2-2.4 to 2.0-2.1. There is still room to get better there.
Jim
I seem to remember times similar to those with really soft street tires. I got down to 1.7 and 1.8 with slicks. Typically ran them at 15-18 psi. Don't know anything about how to run the BFGs. What do they recommend?

Your times seem to have come down overall. The Vararam and tires have gained you some additional RWHP. Looks like you're on the right track.

Rob

DRTH VTR said:
Jim
The 2.0-2.1 is not too bad for a 6M. If you can get below 2.0 you will be doing bettter than most stick drivers.

My 01 Z06 had a halltech sidewinder intake and a hurst shifter. At MIR, I pulled a 1.83 60' and ran a 12.38@115. This was on the stock F1SC tires. Went down to 22 lbs. in the rears. My 02Z06 best stock was a 12.48@ 117. With drag radials, my best 60' was a 1.72 and my best time has been an 11.98@117.63. And I have been through two tranny rebuilds (5th gear the first time and 3rd-4th the second time), and one tranny replacement the third time. If ya play...ya gotta pay. I've slowed down a lot on my DRing, but luv driver education at Summit Point Raceway! :beer

I'm amazed at the folks that can do this. Like I said, my best at MIR is 13.54 @ 109. So, the secret to running a 12.48 in totally stock trim is...? ;shrug

I'm sure that the track and driver experience makes a big difference. My son has run his ZR-1 at the Bowling Green track quite a bit, and when he first took his 2001 Z06 out, he turned 12.2 and 114mph. That's close to his ZR-1 times. I don't know what his 60ft time was though.
Ol Blue

I'll gladly speed shift for you?

Stealth1 said:
I think I read somewhere they got those numbers with a Pro driver that speed shifted. Thats shifting without letting off the gas. Dont think I will ever try that.Unless I win the Lotto or maybe borrow BV's Z.:L
Many racers speed shift. You have to be a good driver to do it correctly though. Something I'll learn on my Z. I have two in my sites right now.....

I only know of a few 02's running around that I've witnessed run 12.6X/12.7X's at rte 66 (a good NHRA track) that were bone stock. Again, they were 02's. Maybe those are worth looking at, eh?

New times at the strip

I went out to my local dragstrip (Firebird in Eagle, Idaho near Boise) last Friday night. I had one goal for this trip: learn to do a burnout with my drag radials.

Last year I ran mostly 13.4 at 108MPH. I had one 13.2 at 110.5. This year I added a VaraRam intake and drag radials. I started the year with consistent 13.0 at 111MPH, without a burnout. This last trip resulted in the following:

Elevation 2600' about 70 degrees, track about 110 degrees
Time trial #1
60' 2.017, 12.873 @ 111.12
Time trial #2
60' 1.845, 12.638 @ 110.89
Time trial #3
60' 1.810, 12.549 @ 111.28
First bracket run
dial 12.50, 60' 1.928 (bogged), 12.721 @ 111.89 win, the other guy broke out
Second bracket run
dial 12.57, 60' 1.847, 12.479 @ 112.24 lost, broke out (but happy!)

All of those runs were improvements over my previous runs. Between the VaraRam and the drag radials, I have cut about 0.6-0.8 seconds off my time, mostly from the improved tires. I added about 3MPH to the trap speed, mostly from the VaraRam.

Thanks to everyone who had suggestions for me, especially MadMic.
Jim B

Try lower pressure. i run 18.5 psi in my rears at the track. as most stated you can't just dump the clutch. stock clutch even the Z's stock clutch absolutly sucks! you have to side step it and baby it out of the hole if you want any kind of decent 60' on street tires. what i would do is side step it at around 1500 rpm and only nail the gas to about 1/4 throttle then roll on it to the point you should be full throttle hitting 2nd gear. no need for speed shifting unless you are good at it. you just need to be fast switching gears with the utmost speed if you want to see low to mid 12's.

i'm guessing you were at Richmond drag way? or Dinwiddy?

DRTH VTR said:
dial 12.57, 60' 1.847, 12.479 @ 112.24 lost, broke out (but happy!)

All of those runs were improvements over my previous runs. Between the VaraRam and the drag radials, I have cut about 0.6-0.8 seconds off my time, mostly from the improved tires. I added about 3MPH to the trap speed, mostly from the VaraRam.

Thanks to everyone who had suggestions for me, especially MadMic.
Jim B
Jim,

that is awesome! glad i could be of help :D over here on the right coast at one of our local tracks that could of been a 12.1-12.0 pass easily! just awesome! i see those DR's knocked off .2 on the short time :D that equals 3-4 tenths overall that you've picked up! awesome!

Mad-Mic said:
Try lower pressure. i run 18.5 psi in my rears at the track. as most stated you can't just dump the clutch. stock clutch even the Z's stock clutch absolutly sucks! you have to side step it and baby it out of the hole if you want any kind of decent 60' on street tires. what i would do is side step it at around 1500 rpm and only nail the gas to about 1/4 throttle then roll on it to the point you should be full throttle hitting 2nd gear. no need for speed shifting unless you are good at it. you just need to be fast switching gears with the utmost speed if you want to see low to mid 12's.

i'm guessing you were at Richmond drag way? or Dinwiddy?
I was at Firebird, near Boise, Idaho.
I was running 16# in the rears. I just think I need more practice, but I am pretty happy with the improvement in 60' and et.

John Henricy Corvette engineer is the only one to pull out a 4.0 0-60 time in a stock ZO6. He doesn't use the clutch.

TODD L GRIFFITH said:
John Henricy Corvette engineer is the only one to pull out a 4.0 0-60 time in a stock ZO6. He doesn't use the clutch.
Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.
0-60MPH vs 60' times.

How does he start without the clutch?

Amaizing man he is, a no clutch shift on a ZO6. WOW! 0-60mph in 4.0 seconds. He must engage the clutch on launch lol, but you can do 69mph in second gear on a ZO6, so he shifts from first to second with no clutch engagement. The quarter mile numbers I think should average around 12.5 sec.

TODD L GRIFFITH said:
Amaizing man he is, a no clutch shift on a ZO6. WOW! 0-60mph in 4.0 seconds. He must engage the clutch on launch lol, but you can do 69mph in second gear on a ZO6, so he shifts from first to second with no clutch engagement. The quarter mile numbers I think should average around 12.5 sec.
in some friends manual cars i've done that. 1-2 shift clutchless. just gotta jam back and not be afraid :D hard to do 2-3 and 3-4 can be speed shifted pretty easy using the clutch.

if you want to run the quicker times you have to atleast speed shift. can't granny shift the gears like your going to the grocery store :L

DRTH VTR,

CONGRATS! Your times are super! Plus, with only BF Goodrich drag radials and the Vararam added. Looks like you've picked up closer to a second in your overall times. For that amount of investment resulting in those lower times, that's a good return. I've got to get mine over to MIR to do some more runs. With everyone's inputs, I hope to establish a better baseline before I do any mods. However, no speed shifting. Want to keep tranny in one piece.

Again, CONGRATS!
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom