Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZR-1 Exhaust Question

• Thread starter Thread starter karfever
  • Start date Start date
K

karfever

Any opinions on aftermarket exhaust, specifically Corsa vs. B&B? I also would like to see a rear angle photo of the tips position etc. Any reason to change out the stock exhaust and pay the additional 1000-1200? Thanks Steve:confused

Exhaust questions start opinionated fights, just like the LT4 Vs LT5 or the LT5 Vs Z06.....

WIth that said. I had a borla on the car, and bought a Corsa after hearing one in person. I have since added headers and the car screams at WOT.......well it did until I tore the engine out.

The B&B I have a strong gripe against. The resonance is horrible. I had the pleasure of driving a LPE 368 from Austin Texas to Portland Oregon. Every night I went to sleep I could still hear the exhaust in my ears.

Power effects will have some supporters as wil lthe borla and flowmaster. You just need to find an exhaust that makes you happy. So listen to as many as you can.

And shop around, I got my Corsa for under 800.

Jeff, Where did you purchase your Corsa system?

I know that the Power Effects system has received rave reviews...

karfever said:
Any opinions on aftermarket exhaust, specifically Corsa vs. B&B? I also would like to see a rear angle photo of the tips position etc. Any reason to change out the stock exhaust and pay the additional 1000-1200? Thanks Steve:confused

Here is what I used for what it's worth. I installed Magnaflow stainless steel mirror finish mufflers and replaced the resonator with a Magnaflow X Pipe. The system has no, I repeat NO resonance. It is very stealthy untill you stab it. It makes the car sound like none I have ever heard. It is a sound like an INDY car. Sounds very Ferrari like. Awsome sound. It turns heads and scares people because they don't define the different sound. The whole system installed was under 500 bucks!!

So if you want to spend much more because you hate money and want resonance---don't but Magnaflow. It was the Mirror finish Race Series mufflers. The inlet is 3" and the outlet is 4". The tips are made onto the mufflers. You can see these products on their web site. Good Luck!!:_rock

Sounds like the magnaflow may be the answer as I get confllicting reports on the B&B system.

karfever said:
Sounds like the magnaflow may be the answer as I get confllicting reports on the B&B system.

OK here is what I've found. I used for the muffflers part#14828. That can be seen on their website under mirror finish race series. The X-pipe that I used is listed under hardware on the website as part # 10789. There is a section under "locate dealer" where you enter your zip code and locate a dealer. My complete system cost 515.00 installed. The mufflers look real sharp. They are lighter than the stock components especially the resonator. The stock resonator weighs around 35 lbs and the x-pipe weighs around 2lbs.

Hope that helps!:bu

See my pictures and comments regarding my Triflo system in the LT5 Registry forum. lt5registry.net. Let me know what you think.
Mike

Thank for the info and pics Bob. What a beautiful car! I have decided to go with the B&B. Best deal for the money it appears.

95ZR1#418 said:
Bottom line: I have the 3" B&B TriFlo with Xpipe, best dynoed results, lots of resonnace that I can live with, I just love the sound.

What were the results with the B&B?

B&B Dyno results

I'm not about to type this list of results or just those of the B&B system since I would be here all night. They start at 2000rpm and go up to 7000rpm in increments of 250rpm giving Torgue & HP at each increment. E-mail Mark fowler at B&B and he will send you a copy or fax it: Mark@bbexhaust.com

There has also been some questions in regard to cutting out a plate on the B&B tips for more HP. This no longer applies to the now new & improved system. See my Question to Mark and his reply below: Hope this helps answer your questions

Bob-
The part you are talking about is a tip back. Why some people call
them
restrictor plates I do not really know. Even the new systems built
today
have tip backs on them however the opening is larger than it was
originally.
One thing to take into consideration that the inlet of the muffler is
3"
along with the pass tube. Then with the two outlets you have a surface
area
of over 5" coming out of the muffler. One of the purposes of the tip
back is
to help maintain the surface area from getting to big and loosing
pressure
not allowing the muffler to work properly. There have been some people
that
have spent a great deal of time to go in and opened these plates larger
with
a die grinder. The results of doing this will be a increase in sound
both
inside and out with little to no increase in power. To answer your
question,
yes you do have the latest design. It is up to you as to if you want to
spend the time to go in and open them up larger. I hope that I have
shed
some light on the matter for you and please let me know if you have any
additional questions.

Mark Fowler
Sales, B&B Performance Exhaust
623-581-7600
mark@bbexhaust.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 10:26 PM
To: info@bbexhaust.com
Subject: '95 ZR1 B&B 3" with X-pipe

Hello Mark-
<snip>

Anyway, I specifically asked the salesperson to have the restrictor
plates removed by the fabricators which I have heard so much talk about
doing yourself on the various ZR1 Net sites. He told me that the new
systems already have them removed due to customer input.

The problem I have is the continued talk about removing these
restrictor
plates. I have seen pictures people place on the web which as far as I
can see look similiar to mine and they have the plates.

Is there any way with the above information that you can verify that my
system is restrictor plate free? If I measure from the outer tip to
the
first rectangular opening it is 4.5" then futher in to the next
plate(which seems to vertically cut the opening roughly in half)it is
10.5". Is it this 1st and or 2nd plate which is the one being cut out
and which my system also has? It seems to me my system has the
restrictor plate.

I would greatly appreciate your comments, I would just like to know

Bob Bloyer
SynapseZ51@Yahoo.com
406 777 1198

'95 ZR1 #418

I thought maybe you had "personal" experience to speak of. Not that of the manufacturer selling the product. I just wanted to know what the B&B would add for my own comparison. I figure all cat-backs are within 3hp of each other.

Hey Biz:

Don't come over here much but I gained 8rwhp over Flowmasters when switching to the Tri-Flos. This had the restrictor plates removed but the resonator in place. After the x-pipe was installed I gained *another* 8rwhp for a total of 16. I know it's hard to believe but it's a fact. You cannot beat Tri-Flos for power. The are so loud it's almost unbearable; I don't drive my ZR-1 much though so I'm willing to live with the resonance/volume to gain that kind of power.

Before I go on, I'd like to give you some advice. Go to as many vette shows/events and listen to the different exhaust sound first hand. Also take a ride in these vettes if you can to check for resonance. Make sure you ask if any other exhaust mods were done such as headers, cats removed, etc. These mods affect how much resonance there is. From there decide on which look you prefer and also how much you are willing to spend. Also ask yourself what benefits are important to you from the exhaust mods. What's more important? More power? Just a nice sound?
Least costly?

I will make comments on sound and looks. Keep in mind this is based on personal choice. The other comments are base on my five years of reading forum comments, magazine article and personal experience.

Since you mention Borla, I'll start there. This system has been very well known for bad resonance. Wimpy tailpipes for an after market system. Nice finish. Fair price. Sound is ok. Fit is not always the greatest.

Corsa - Practically no resonance at all. Fair price. Good quality. Decent tailpipes. Ugly welds show too much. Sound is ok but not deep enough. Too quite at idle. Excellent fit.

Power Effects - Excellent quality. Nice deep big block sound. Excellent finish. Excellent fit. Have adjustable flaps in the mufflers that can be used to adjust the backpressure and loudness. It also helps in dealing with the resonance. With closed flaps there is a tiny bit of resonance at around 2,000rpm. This cat back is 2 3/4 inch which ideal for torq and horsepower for a streetcar.

B&B Triflow - The best-looking tailpipes around. Excellent quality. There have been issues with fit. Mufflers spinning, not the easiest to install. Comes in 3-inch pipe. The system has resonance.

Flowmaster - Not one of the best-looking mufflers out there for a vette. For some it's just fine and serves there needs just fine. Finish is not as good as the others. Has resonance.

MagnaFlow - Nice tailpipes. Has resonance.

Dynomax - Sound is ok but not loud enough for most. Cheap in price. Lousy tailpipes.

The following info was taken from an article in Corvette Fever June 1998 issue.
Exhaust shoot out! By Jim Van Dorn
Dyno results on stock Grand Sport LT4.

HP/TORQ
Stock:
299/307

BB Triflow catback 3-inch:
310/310

Power Effects cat back 2 3/4 inch:
299/308 - flaps in closed position
311/313 - flaps in open position

Dynomax mufflers only:
304/310

Borla Corvette Challenge cat back 2 3/4 inch:
304/309

Flowmaster cat back 2 1/2 inch:
306/309

As you can see the is very little difference between them all especially when you consider cost.

Some interesting comments they had were, "Borla teamed with Doug Rippie Motosports in developing their Corvette Challenge cat-back 2 3/4 inch system. Rippie's original request for the larger-diameter pipe was made when he fitted his mega-horsepower former Lemans engine (600+hp) to a production ZR-1. Rippie later related, "We found the 3-inch system was great for horsepower, but (it) lost torque. The 2 3/4 inch system was the best of both worlds.

I have an issue with the above. If that's true why is it the Triflow 3-inch tested pushed 310 torq and the Borla pushed 309torq. Could it be that they are really referring to how the max torq moves to a lower rpm with the 2 3/4 and moves up higher in the rpm's for the 3-inch? Is this possible?
I can feel a difference in low-end torq if I closed the flaps on my PE system. Feels like it has more but maybe it's just available sooner.

They also tested sound levels at 70mph cruise, at idle, interior sound. Let me know if this interest anyone and I’ll start a new post with the results. What's interesting is that they don't mention resonance at all. I'm thinking the Cruise @70mph sound level test would be as good indication of how loud the resonance is.
Stock 94
Triflow 107
Dynomax 96
Borla 100
Flowmaster 97
Power Effects 100(Closed) 103(Open)<this turns it into a straight pipe, you can see inside the exhaust.

107 DB is loud for most folks.
For me open headers use to be not loud enough.

So bigger is better for horsepower especially in a modified car I would think. But go way too big for the power output and you may lose some torque. When you have such a high level of power I don't think it makes much difference if you lose let's say 10-20ft pounds of torq for a streetcar.

There can be huge differences in Hp depending where you take your readings in the dyno curve in comparison to other makes. Of course if loudness/resonance is not your thing then you will never have the high gains available, so why ask about what is the "Best" or highest Hp output exhaust available on the market?

If highest net Hp/torque is what you want then B&B with the X pipe is the only way to go, but it is loud. If you don't like sound/music than buy any of the other brands they are all comparable. Just personal preference on sound.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom