Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZR-1 weight

B

Brett

Awhile back we were trying to figure out the vehicle weight of the ZR-1, and the LT-4, for that matter. No one could come up with numbers.

Isn't the weight of all vehicles posted on the driver's side door?

Brett

According to my technical data poster my '90 bone stock should weigh in at 3,465. I haven't had a chance to weigh mine though.....

Jay

I have weighed both my Z's on a truck weigh station scale. My red 91 with the spare tire removed weighed 3400lbs. My black 91 LPE 368 weighed in at 3350lbs. The 368 car has headers, no cats, lightweight flywheel, and no spare tire. Road and Track magazines Corvette Special addition (1991) lists the 91 ZR-1 curb weight at 3465lbs. The 90 model is supposed to be just a little bit lighter than this and the later cars a bit heavier.

ZR1 Weight

Hi Bret,

According to GM specs the ZR1 comes in between 3485 and 3540 depending on the model and options.

We have weighted only 10 cars. A small sample but helpful. This was done by a manufacturers sponsored racing group housed here in Atlanta back in the mid 1990's. Their scales was electronic accurate to two pounds.

Truck scales have proven to be off considerable more than this amount. I understand that 7% to 13% is very common from weight center to weight center and even larger amounts in some states.

Here are the results: Fuel load - 2 gallons

1990 ZR1.........................3522lbs
1990 ZR1.........................3534lbs
1991 ZR1.........................3501lbs
1991 ZR1.........................3512lbs
1992 ZR1.........................3517lbs
1993 ZR1.........................3521lbs
1994 ZR1.........................3502lbs
1995 ZR1.........................3498lbs
1995 ZR1.........................3503lbs
1995 ZR1.........................3490lbs

ZR1 and the Callaway TT weight in about the same. Both are too heavy but that was the best technology offer from the manufacturers production during these time periods.

Both are still great cars. Doug Rippie and several other used lighter components/parts on many re-builds for better performance like with the 368 cu inch set up that was mentioned here.

Hope this helps...

Take care,
Stan:)

Thank you, all. It's great to finally get an idea. All of your numbers are very close.

Stan, do know if all of those cars were stock or not? The numbers you posted seem to go against the commonly held belief that the ZR-1 increased in weight over time.

Also, do you have any LT-4 stats on hand?

Brett

Weight Discussion

Hi Brett,

According to GM own numbers, all the ZR1 were very close for the six year run. The real differences from year to year were very slight.

All the car we weighted were stock with no mods.

I checked the GM number numbers on the LT1/LT4 series. The various regarding weights were greater than on the ZR1 but part of this was because of the stock unit and the Grand Sport and or convertible models. Also the automatic vs, the six speed ZF unit. I really need to research this more when I have a chance.

According to GM the range on the on the 1996 model was 3335lbs to 3487lbs. I do not have just LT4 itself. However, we weight a CE LT4 coupe that had a "free-flow" exhaust made of stainless came in 3314lbs. One car cannot be counted on to be accurate.

Sorry I do not have any other info at this time. Take care...

Stan:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom