Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Zr1 Frozen Oil Filter

• Thread starter Thread starter ZRJIM
  • Start date Start date
Z

ZRJIM

The Oil Filter On My Zr1 Is Frozen/jammed/stuck When Trying To
Take It Off. Any Suggestions???
Removing It, Do I Turn Clockwise Or Counter Clockwise?
Thanks For The Anticipated Assistance.

A big pair of channel locks is my oil filter wrench. Good luck

Drive a phillips driver through it, and use the handle of the driver as leverage to turn the filter counter clock wise.

If all else fails...... Run a large screw driver thru the filter. "REMEMBER" this is LAST resort it's MESSY to say the least.

Thanks for everyones help/suggestions. Finally got it off with a large wrench.

This is what happens when do don't change the filter in two years.

Only put 2,500 miles on her last year. Need to give her more attention!

If you put a little oil on the seal of the new filter befor you put it on it will come off better the next time. Good luck ...E

When you install the new filter: Fill it first with the oil you are using for the engine. Upon start-up, the oil in the filter will be able to feed the oil passages and galleries right away!

Save The Wave!

lt4man said:
When you install the new filter: Fill it first with the oil you are using for the engine. Upon start-up, the oil in the filter will be able to feed the oil passages and galleries right away!

Save The Wave!

The LT5 filter installs upside down.

8388 said:
The LT5 filter installs upside down.

You just have to be real fast, or suspend gravity temporarily...

sorry, couldn't resist... to many twilight zone reruns...

I know that. Just wanted to see if anyone was paying attention. I am so poor, that sometimes, I cannot afford to even pay attention! :L

Auto parts stores sell a tool that fits on the end of a socket wrench or a breaker bar for about $5.00. It fits over the end of the filter and lets you just unscrew it with your wrench.

When you put the new filter on get some new oil on your finger and spread it around the rubber o-ring on the top of the filter this will help it from becoming stuck it the future and will help the o-ring to seal and prevent it from ripping (and then leaking) while sungging it up.

Here's a real hot tip that most don't know about. Before installing the new filter regardless of application, always wipe the threaded area well with a rag. The threads are machined, and sometimes the process leaves behind metal shaving.
And we don't want non of dat. ;)

man, I think I've done too many oil changes:crazy :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom