Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 ZR1 Mufflers on my 1996 LT4

1996 LT4 Topic

mcich7781

Corvette
1991 Zr-1
Hello,

I just purchased a Red 1996 LT4 and joined the CAC. This is my first Corvette. After getting the car home I started the ritual every first time Corvette owner goes through, exploring every nook and cranny in and under the car. Finding the RPO codes and trying to put a history of the car togther from the Carfax and the various documents the car came with.

The car is basically stock with the following exceptions: Chrome 11"x17" Grand Sport Wheels, A JVC CD/Cassette head unit, and most surprising are the two Black ZR1 Mufflers at the back. The car is not loud and I just assumed the mufflers were the originals until I looked under the car. I ran the GM Part numbers and looked at hundreds of ZR1 pictures and thats what the mufflers appear to be.

The question I have is there any performance advantage of having the ZR1 mufflers over the stock ones? I kind of like the look of the 4 square exhaust outlets compared to the single rectangle outlet.

MCC

First off, Welcome to CAC and congrats on the LT4 purchase. Now I can't tell you anything about your muffler situation, but I can't imagine that you get any performance increase with the ZR1 mufflers. I think that the big difference is the appearance of the outlets. BTW, I like the looks of the four outlets too.

Hello,

I just purchased a Red 1996 LT4 and joined the CAC. This is my first Corvette. After getting the car home I started the ritual every first time Corvette owner goes through, exploring every nook and cranny in and under the car. Finding the RPO codes and trying to put a history of the car togther from the Carfax and the various documents the car came with.

The car is basically stock with the following exceptions: Chrome 11"x17" Grand Sport Wheels, A JVC CD/Cassette head unit, and most surprising are the two Black ZR1 Mufflers at the back. The car is not loud and I just assumed the mufflers were the originals until I looked under the car. I ran the GM Part numbers and looked at hundreds of ZR1 pictures and thats what the mufflers appear to be.

The question I have is there any performance advantage of having the ZR1 mufflers over the stock ones? I kind of like the look of the 4 square exhaust outlets compared to the single rectangle outlet.

MCC
LT1,LT4 & ZR-1 shared the same exhaust from the connector past the converters.

It is true that LT1, LT4 and LT5 engines shared the same exhaust but...remember, the Gen 2s V8 was new for 1992. Prior to that, the ZR-1's exhaust was unique to that car. Only 90-91 ZR-1s have the four outlets. Putting those on a 96 will probably decrease performance as those mufflers are probably more restrictive than what's on the car now.

Hello,

MCC

not that you would notice

It is true that LT1, LT4 and LT5 engines shared the same exhaust but...

Hi Hib.

I think the the LT4 exhaust is unique because it has a crossover/balance tube. This crossover is just ahead of the differential on the exhaust system. I can’t seem to find any photos or data to share or why it was added. I just recall an article sometime back mentioning the crossover tube on the LT4s.

Could it have been added to lower resonance?

B17Crew
:w

Hi Hib.

I think the the LT4 exhaust is unique because it has a crossover/balance tube. This crossover is just ahead of the differential on the exhaust system. I can’t seem to find any photos or data to share or why it was added. I just recall an article sometime back mentioning the crossover tube on the LT4s.

Could it have been added to lower resonance?

B17Crew

The 96 exhaust does have the second crossover and it might have been exclusive to manuals. I cut one out of a scrapped 96 GS exhaust and added it the system on my 95. The effect on resonance was modest at best.

As to why GM added it, I'm not sure if it was resonance or some other frequency they were trying to attenuate.

The 96 exhaust does have the second crossover and it might have been exclusive to manuals. I cut one out of a scrapped 96 GS exhaust and added it the system on my 95. The effect on resonance was modest at best.

As to why GM added it, I'm not sure if it was resonance or some other frequency they were trying to attenuate.

Thanks, Hib!

I have yet to come across anything from GM as to why they added it, I was figuring it was for resonance as well.

B17Crew

wasnt the crossover behind the rearend ?????

The crossover on the OEM LT4 exhaust is literally inches ahead of the rear differential. I tried doing a search so I could post a photo but couldn’t find one.

B17Crew

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom