Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZR1 style mufflers

L

Loaded 90

I was thinking about getting the ZR1 style mufflers from Mid America but was wondering what people thought of them. They are the ones with just the two round tubes going into the square tips. How do they sound, look and perform on a stock 1990? Can I put them on myself or do I have to get a shop to do it?

Mac

loaded 90

my old neighbor had a set like these on his 90 six speed and they sounded awsome as he went through the gears, however the cat gave out once and then it wasn;t so great sounding but when the cats are on wow

you wont be dissapointed

How loud was it? I don't want it unbearable inside the car.

Mac

I have a set on my '85. They do sound awesome. I like them very much. You can keep them quiet when you need to. They sound akin to glass paks on a 350. They were on my car when I bought it, the previous owner installed them but I was not happy with the way it was done so I re-did it. They need to be at the proper height and not sticking out beyond the bumper. If you let them stick out you will experience that yellow tint all over your back end caused by the reduced pressure right at that point on a Corvette.
Anyway they are a snap to install or de-insstall, don't even have to jack up the car. I just layed down on my driveway and removed them and re-installed them. I did have to modify the hangers a bit because they are not exactly the same as the stock mufflers. But now they look the way they should and work the way they should.

Hope this helps.........

You can beat the price of those mufflers... they are pretty loud though... I got lots of comments on how good the car sounded... I don't know what your level of unbearable is... you can hear the exhaust inside the car, I didn't get any resonance though, that is usually the unbearable part. hope this helps

Yes, everyone's level of "unbearable" is not the same. If you want to be sure leave the stock mufflers on. ZR1 mufflers can be heard inside the car but they are not "unbearable" in my opinion. Of course the most quiet mufflers I have are glass paks on my '55 Chevy. :) So maybe I am not a good judge of "unbearable." I do know that I like to run with the windows down and the stereo off so I can listen to the mufflers. They do sound good! I have never had a complaint about them being too loud though. Of course I do not run around trying to make noise with them the way I notice some of the "ricers" doing.

I have Monza mufflers on my '86, now those are loud! Still not unbearable inside the car though, again in MHO. But I think you "pays your money and takes your chances." No one can say for sure what another person hears. Personally I like the glass paks, the ZR-1's, and the Monza mufflers. So maybe I am not a good judge of what is too loud, or unbearable.
I will say that I put OD in the Chevy because the mufflers were just too loud with the cruising RPM's. So I do respond to "too loud", after a fashion. :)

Hope this helps...............

Hey loaded 90 which ZR1 mufflers are you thinking of buying, I think they have two styles.

I'm also interested in those same mufflers, I was hoping that they where going to sound like the Zr1 corvette or at lease sound more like a sports car (ferrari).

Does anyone have any muffler choices for me, I'm looking for power gains too, but more about sound. I'm looking for a muffler that will give me a throaty indy car sound, Quiet at cruise but head turning at WOT.

Hey loaded 90 keep me updated if you buy these mufflers and let me know which ones you bought and what you think of them.

Thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom