Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! "Dead Battery" Again! 2007 Convertible Automatic C6

N

nelkem

This has probably happened 5 or 6 times since I purchased the 2007 Convertible automatic. That is - Corvette may sit for a while or not - take it out, drives great. Park it for a short time and the car does not start - all the symptoms of a dead battery.

I use a battery tender every night (the one recommended from the Corvette Museum) and it keeps the battery around 14.

For example - I used the car for 3 days straight last week (it was 70 in NY) - and it sat in the garage this week until today (battery tender is on continuously). I also ensure that I turn off all accessories (radio/GPS, AC, etc.). My wife pulled the car out fine this morning - started great. She pulled into the driveway and parked. Went inside to get something, turned the car off. Came out a few minutes later - doesn't start - sounds like a dead battery.

I had bought the car into a Chevy service dealer in 2007 and they turned off the passenger side key FOB sensor (bulletin # 07.06.03.001) to minimize battery drain.

I did call GM this time and made an appointment to get the car checked (of course, not until next week) - as I have the extended warranty. GM and the dealer spoke and they will run a full diagnostics, check the security system, battery, etc.

Car only has 8,600 miles - never been rained on, etc.

Any ideas - as I'd like to suggest as many things when I have it in for inspection and service next week. I know this has been discussed as DBS, etc. but I am thinking there may be something else going on. However - every time I charge the battery (I can't wait to get home) - its fine again for at least a few months.

Help!! ;shrug

Thanks!!

HI there,
there are plenty of things that could cause this.

But, tight battery cables, all the latest calibration updates are only the FIRST things to look at .

Then, if your draw is between 10-20 ma, then test the battery and possibly replace it.

Allthebest, c4c5

I'm on my fourth Delco battery. The car was fine - the batteries failed.:D

I simpithize with ya....hate to hear that. I hope I'm not jenking my own C6, but I have never had this problem.....sounds like either bad battery cable connection. I'd try to clean the terminals (b-cables) and ensure when cables replaced they are good and snug to battery. Does your vette have same battery as when new? If so, would'nt hurt to go ahead and replace....these things you could do before your service visit next week and cost nothing much except for battery (which is something you'll want to keep in tip-top condition anyway). best of luck....keep us updated after your service visit....

Same here; 2006 Original Battery never a problem. ;shrug

Could just be a bad battery, the dealer changed mine when I bought the car at 2700 miles. Mine is an 08 and it sat in the dealers showroom from October to February. I use a battery tender if it sits for more than a couple of weeks, so far no problems.

Could just be a bad battery, the dealer changed mine when I bought the car at 2700 miles. Mine is an 08 and it sat in the dealers showroom from October to February. I use a battery tender if it sits for more than a couple of weeks, so far no problems.

iagree.gif
iagree.gif
iagree.gif

I had to have Vett Boys left over 2008 Battery changed at 144 miles from setting dead on the lot in Peoria Ill for over a year!!:thumb

Forgot to say check the battery connection to starter. I had a new Camaro back in '84 and this was the problem and had the SAME symptoms. Where the battery power connects to starter....mine was loose on that NEW Camaro (back then) which caused it to die while driving or act like dead battery (periodically) when cranking.

This has probably happened 5 or 6 times since I purchased the 2007 Convertible automatic. That is - Corvette may sit for a while...

Car only has 8,600 miles - never been rained on, etc.
There's your problem right there. You got a 4 year old car with only 8600 miles on it! (You know, if you drove your car in the rain, the battery will last longer.) j/k!:chuckle

Actually, there is a speck of truth with what I write. You need to exercise the charging system in this car...often.
We all know that the C6 doesn't like to go to sleep. If your FOB is within close proximity to the car, it'll always be "ready" to receive RF signals. Try moving your FOB at least 25-30 feet away from the car when not in use. This will tell the computer to shutdown.

Regarding your battery tender~ remember, they don't really "cycle" the battery like an alternator does. Your battery can become "dependant" upon the nice easy current it receives from the tender. You gotta hit it with 15-16v every once in a while. The duration of voltage surge doesn't matter (it can/should be short), it's the surge that keeps sulphates from forming.

The C6 is very "persnickety" when it comes to voltage. It likes 12.5v minimum. It'll act really odd if it gets down to 11.5v.

Have you checked the batteries in your FOBs?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom