Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Car Door Rubbing

Lagerheads

Corvette
2006 C6 Corvette
Hello,

A few months ago I purchased a used GM Certified 2006 C6 with 30K miles. Recently in this heat wave that we have been having in NJ, I have noticed a weird sound coming from drivers door when I fully open it. Upon further inspection, I can see that the top of the door actually is rubbing against the body panel behind the front wheel. It seems to only happen after it has been baking in the sun for a while. Is this the door expanding due to the heat? Has anyone heard of this? It looks like it is actually starting to rub some paint off. It has a bumper to bumper warranty for another 9 months so I was thinking about bringing it to the dealer, maybe the hinge is misaligned, but I thought I would check here first. Thanks for any help!

Dan

Hello,

A few months ago I purchased a used GM Certified 2006 C6 with 30K miles. Recently in this heat wave that we have been having in NJ, I have noticed a weird sound coming from drivers door when I fully open it. Upon further inspection, I can see that the top of the door actually is rubbing against the body panel behind the front wheel. It seems to only happen after it has been baking in the sun for a while. Is this the door expanding due to the heat? Has anyone heard of this? It looks like it is actually starting to rub some paint off. It has a bumper to bumper warranty for another 9 months so I was thinking about bringing it to the dealer, maybe the hinge is misaligned, but I thought I would check here first. Thanks for any help!

Dan

Fiberglas is NOT metal/alloy component....it is fiberglas. Fiberglas does NOT expand/contract as does metal when heats/cools.....so rule that out. If you have bumper to bumper warranty have them fix it to YOUR satisfaction. The only steel on your car to speak of is in the frame!! Again, fiberglas acts like insulator, that's why it's used as insulation in your house etc......but it does NOT act like steel.

Yes, exercise your warranty for this. I would be interested in a thorough history of the vehicle though. "Certified" may be suspect if it was in a collision. Any problems opening/closing the door? Carfax?

Any other body panel fitment issues? The vehicle is "too new" to have worn out hinges, unless it was damaged somehow.

Can you post a pic?

Yes, exercise your warranty for this. I would be interested in a thorough history of the vehicle though. "Certified" may be suspect if it was in a collision.
I hate to say or even think it but I thought it .:eek:hnoes It's not normal and I agree fiberglass isn't known to expand .

I vote to take it back to the dealer ,feel free to use my name .:D Oh and except nothing that sounds like BS.

Yes, exercise your warranty for this. I would be interested in a thorough history of the vehicle though. "Certified" may be suspect if it was in a collision. Any problems opening/closing the door? Carfax?

Any other body panel fitment issues? The vehicle is "too new" to have worn out hinges, unless it was damaged somehow.

Can you post a pic?

Thanks for the help fellas, the carfax was clean, but I know that everything doesnt make it on those things. I will try to post a pic tonight, but it looks like it is going to have to go to the dealer.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom