Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Hood Release Problem Still!

Corvettekid85

Corvette
black 1975 corvette
i have tried everything i can possibly do to open the hood on my 75. Theres no rubber grommet because those were made in 76 because people were complaining about not being able to open the hood with a broken hood release. I think my drivers side latch is rusted and stuck. I have that thing on cinder blocks about 2 feet in the air and i cant figure out how to open this stupid thing. I wanted to get this thing open for my dad for Christmas, but my last resort is having it towed somewhere and having them open it and install another hood release. which seeing as im only 16 i dont have that much money right now. about 50 backs ha. If anyone can send me a pic of there 75's hood release on both sides i would be VERY EXCITED! i might just try and get a long socket rench and take both sides off, but its really hard to get a socket up there. possibly heard about the crossover cable just simply pulling it, but dont know where its exactly at. THANKS!

I have that thing on cinder blocks about 2 feet in the air.........
I wanted to get this thing open for my dad for Christmas,................
i would be VERY EXCITED!

Some how,I don't think Dad would be "VERY EXCITED" to bury you before Christmas!~!!!!!
:thumb
"GET THAT SOB OFF THOSE CINDER BLOCKS"!~!!:eyerole:eyerole:eyerole

Getting CRUSHED to Death buy a car coming down, AIN'T NO EXCITING matter!~!!:hb:hb:hb

:ugh

The restoration purists out there would probably not agree but when you finally do get the hood open use a three quarter inch hole saw just in back of the hood release latches on both sides of that upper cowling area and buy a couple of round plastic blank covers to fit those holes then if necessary you can pop them off and manually push the releases. Someone who owned my 74 had already done this and I did have to use that method once to get the hood open. I am not sure if that was done at the factory are done later but it was a good thing it was there.

Honestly i just want to get the hood open. I know how to install a hood release on a vette cause i did if to a friend on his 79. I just want to get this stupid thing open for my dad because i want to drive it in the future.

Cinder Blocks

I can't help much with the hood release situation having a '96, but I DO concur with GM Junkie, get the car off the cinder blocks. They look strong but can break and collapse without warning and being under the car when that happens is the very last place you want to be. Corvettes aren't known for their ground clearances at the best of times.

Someone will come by with a solution eventually .

Good luck and work safe.

I can't help much with the hood release situation having a '96, but I DO concur with GM Junkie, get the car off the cinder blocks. They look strong but can break and collapse without warning and being under the car when that happens is the very last place you want to be. Corvettes aren't known for their ground clearances at the best of times.

Someone will come by with a solution eventually .

Good luck and work safe.

I dont know the fix but there were postings on another vette forum about this. just google corvette hood , etc and you should find some detailed help. good luck!

Go to You Tube and type in something like Corvette Hood Release. Someone has posted a video showing how they got the hood open after the cable broke. It might help you out. As a precaution for the future, after you get it open attached a wire to each side and let it dangle, or whatever, down inside the engine bay where you can reach it to pull and release the latch in the future.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom