Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Headlight Modification

frank_nesta

Corvette
1977 Convertible and 2017 Black Rose Grand Sport
I saw this headlight modification in the latest edition of Vette magazine, March 2012. They accredit John Drahos of Corvette Conspiracy for the work on this Corvette and Ed Roethel for the headlights. Since I am in the process of restro-rodding my 1977 Corvette and I always liked the look of Eckler's pop up square headlights from years ago. I contacted John Drahos of Corvette Conspiracy to see if they are willing to sell that upgrade as a kit and the cost? I am not sure that I would be interested in the electrical powered versions since I have just rebuilt the vacuum setup. But, if that is the only way they would sell it I would still be interested.

This is what John wrote back

Frank
That was a one-off conversion that we did on that '69. Our reason was total air flow through the grill when the lights are down and a smoother more streamlined look with the lights in the up position. We also needed the room for the inner cooler.......if we get enough interest in this conversion we may put together some type of kit.......

Thanks John

Check out http://www.corvetteconspiracy.com/gallery_c3.html Click on the blue '69 on the right,click on that car and bring up a slide show of the build.......... Look at the 8th slidefor a good look at the headlight.

If any of you are interested in this look I would appreciate you dropping John Drahos a e-mail john@corvetteconspiracy.com or call him 216-641-2786.

Frank

Yes that is my thoughts also. They used 9005/9006 bulbs.

If it doesn't pan out, I would try to do it myself. Buy a fiberglass kit, a set of lights and bezels, and a junk set of housings off of Ebay and cut them down yourself. There's a lot of guys with glass experience here on CAC that could give you some pointers.

The worse that would happen is you'll learn a lot and you could have some fun. If it does work out, you'll be able to say you did it yourself! :thumb

Doc, I intend to DIY. The nice thing about the Eklers Bezels I have the basic shape to start with. I planned on cutting out a pie shaped piece and glassing the to halves together. If they fit well I can make a mold or adjust the mold as I go. There is a ton of info on the net. Thanks for the suggestions.

Doc, I intend to DIY. The nice thing about the Eklers Bezels I have the basic shape to start with. I planned on cutting out a pie shaped piece and glassing the to halves together. If they fit well I can make a mold or adjust the mold as I go. There is a ton of info on the net. Thanks for the suggestions.

Please take lots of pictures and keep us updated. :cool!:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom