Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: lt-1 hood

manager16150

I have a 70 with what looks to be an lt-1 hood (no drill holes from big block)
but could still be after market. Any help on how to be sure would be great.

A2738.jpg

If your hood is a good reproduction, there may not be a sure way to tell it from the real thing. Do you have any reason to believe it is not GM? Can you contact previous owners and see whether any of them replaced the hood?

In their day, these hoods were available over the counter at GM Parts Departments; they were popular. It is possible the hood was purchased over the counter at Chevrolet. That would make it genuine GM, but not original for your car.

GM hoods were press molded gray fiberglass. I do not advocate scraping paint and primer off your hood, but if you find a spot of bare fiberglass, the color could be a clue for you.

:thumb

If your hood is a good reproduction, there may not be a sure way to tell it from the real thing. Do you have any reason to believe it is not GM? Can you contact previous owners and see whether any of them replaced the hood?

In their day, these hoods were available over the counter at GM Parts Departments; they were popular. It is possible the hood was purchased over the counter at Chevrolet. That would make it genuine GM, but not original for your car.

GM hoods were press molded gray fiberglass. I do not advocate scraping paint and primer off your hood, but if you find a spot of bare fiberglass, the color could be a clue for you.

:thumb

the car is a 350/350 not an lt-1
what color should it be?
can you tell from the underside
thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom