Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Need info on crossfire injection

Vette kid

Hi guys I'm new to the forum but this looks to be a good one to be part of so here I am. Any way I was wondering if any one could feel me in on the crossfire fuel injection systems the pros and cons if u well cause you see I just recently bought a 84 vette it's good needs tlc but runs. Only thin is the old man I got it from switched to a carb when he was restoring it back about 10 20 yrs ago said they wasn't worth the head ache the spit fire wouldn't work to go etc... well cause the air filter need to be changed couldn't find a filter to really work (put a hole through hood not to happy) so bought the same one he had on there and now thinking of switching her back to the injection system just wanted to know if it's worth it in the long run or not any and all answer appreciated and thanks again :thumb

Attachments

• 20151021_115840.jpg
    20151021_115840.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Why would you do that?

Not to many air filters fit the car not easy to come by but I pretty much said f it don't feel like it's worth the hassle but still like to know the history and reasoning to y they decided to use them though.

Hi guys I'm new to the forum but this looks to be a good one to be part of so here I am. Any way I was wondering if any one could feel me in on the crossfire fuel injection systems the pros and cons if u well cause you see I just recently bought a 84 vette it's good needs tlc but runs.

They aren't "bad" systems. Most people just don't know how to work on them let alone maintain them. It's a good set up in factory form to do what it does: produce 200hp.

When all the parts are there and it is tuned & maintained... it runs quite nicely. And yes- with the right parts and attention to detail, CFI cars run very well. Historically, most people just don't know how to work on them, modify them, or where to even start.

I would guess the previous owner got rid of the CFI system thinking a carb was easier or that he/she needed to because he/she had a problem with it running and so it was not running the way he/she wanted it to run with CFI.

My advice- tune the carb, find a low rise air filter / or intake or both and see if you like it.

If you don't have the parts for the CFI system, you'll spend a lot of time trying to gather all the parts. Not worth the hassle when there are so many other options out there. From what you have mentioned, I'm not even sure there is enough of the CFI harness to even use if you did acquire all the parts.

It cold be costly to re-install the CFI

It may be costly to re-install the old CFI system as well, given some of the parts are hard to get.

I would be more concerned about the availability of the CFI intake manifold...rare as rocking horse doodoo.

You can't buy a new CFI intake, so you would need to buy a really good one that seals between the intake and the base plate...this is their Achilles.

Not a bad stock system, just limited though.
Don't get me wrong, some guys get them to go, but a lot of effort for an old system.

I am changing my CFI for a Edelbrock Pro Flo system as the CFI is ok if you want stock, but that old "wet intake" is out-dated and won't suit my needs.

Suggest maybe looking at the after market if you want to go down the EFI route, lot of good systems that are plug and play...they just cost a bit.

:beer

Tony

I think another thing is to not overshoot your wallet and your expectations from your mechanical skill and ability to the performance you are looking for out of the car.

You could build an awesome EFI system. You could rebuild an OE system. You could optimize your existing set up.

Sounds to me like the problem you are solving for is with the hood and a clearance problem.

What intake are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the color of your new 'vette! Enjoy it! I'd suggest you forget about returning the car to the CFI system. That would be an absolutely HUGE project, and if not done right, the car may never be driveable again! I would suggest that you do put the front wheels on the correct sides of the car, if this hasn't already been done. If in doubt, the wheels are marked on the inside as to which direction they should rotate.

:w

Love the color of your new 'vette! Enjoy it! I'd suggest you forget about returning the car to the CFI system. That would be an absolutely HUGE project, and if not done right, the car may never be driveable again! I would suggest that you do put the front wheels on the correct sides of the car, if this hasn't already been done. If in doubt, the wheels are marked on the inside as to which direction they should rotate.

:w

Thanks I like the color to gonna keep it that color when I get it repainted. I just got new tires old ones looked new but was around 20 yrs old so the wheels are on the right way now lol just quick question dose any one know what the fuel psi should be for it just curious cause mines staying around 6 psi thanks.

Since you have a carb, I think 6lbs is where your fuel pressure should be.

Your mixture may be off if you are thinking there is something not right with the fueling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's stumbling when I'm at a constant speed like it's not getting enough gas changed full pump already think carb just needs clean for how long she might have been sitting

It's stumbling when I'm at a constant speed like it's not getting enough gas changed full pump already think carb just needs clean for how long she might have been sitting

A rebuild would be a good idea. And maybe a tune up.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom