Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlight assembly Problem ... need help/suggestion

Ray0214

Corvette
1995 torch red coupe
On my 1995 corvette, both headlights continue running after turning off. I took the passenger side out and replaced the plastic gear and ppellets, reinstalled and it worked perfectly. However when I tackled the drivers side I ran into all kind of problems. First of all the small pin that has to be driven out simply would not budge, not even a little, so, I tried to drill it out thinking I could find a replacement, that didnt work either, it would not budge, and unless I can remove the pin, I cant get the shaft with the gear out of the motor. Getting the pin out is not possible at this point it appears. Also, the bolts on the side of the motor were so tight I couldnt budge them so I quit, afraid I would strip out the heads....so, I am looking at just buying a rebuilt motor and replacing the whole unit. I have searched for a video detailing how to seperate the motor from the bracket and headlight but couldnt find anything. Would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have. Thanks

Using the proper size punch you should be able to drive out the roll pin.

Here's a video showing the rebuild of the driver side motor.
After the roll pin is out and after you remove the gear side cover plate.

You can't pull the gear and shaft out because of the cut of the gear and how it messes with the worm gear.
What you need to do is loosen the three bolts holding the armature housing to the gear housing. Do not remove the bolts completely. If you do you will have to reset the brushes.

Once the bolts are loose assuming they don't break off, pull the armature housing back away from the gear housing. This will give you enough clearance to pull the white plastic gear out of the gear housing.
If any bolts break off you will have to drill them out and use nuts and bolts as replacements or use self tapping bolts.

Video is below.

Corvette HEADLIGHT GEAR REPAIR - C4 CORVETTE - FIERO - FIREBIRD - ESPRIT - REATTA - YouTube

Thanks

Using the proper size punch you should be able to drive out the roll pin.

Here's a video showing the rebuild of the driver side motor.
After the roll pin is out and after you remove the gear side cover plate.

You can't pull the gear and shaft out because of the cut of the gear and how it messes with the worm gear.
What you need to do is loosen the three bolts holding the armature housing to the gear housing. Do not remove the bolts completely. If you do you will have to reset the brushes.

Once the bolts are loose assuming they don't break off, pull the armature housing back away from the gear housing. This will give you enough clearance to pull the white plastic gear out of the gear housing.
If any bolts break off you will have to drill them out and use nuts and bolts as replacements or use self tapping bolts.

Video is below.

Corvette HEADLIGHT GEAR REPAIR - C4 CORVETTE - FIERO - FIREBIRD - ESPRIT - REATTA - YouTube

Thanks, I have viewed the video and very easily repaired the right side with no problems other that stubborn bolts but I was finally successful in getting everything fixed and it works perfectly. My problem is with the passenger side with the most simple part of the repair, tapping out the clinch pin/cotter pin or whatever its called. I suppose I used a punch that was too small and I actually expanded the pin to the point it would not move in either direction. So, then I was going to drill it out and find a replacement, but that too failed. That pin just will not come out. I have ordered a replacement motor and housing, so hopefully that will be an easy process. I have looked for videos on replacing the motor and actuator but haven't found any. If you happen to know where one is. please let me know, or if you have ever taken the entire motor housing and actuator out maybe you have some tips. The motor I ordered has the clevis pin and stops already installed. Looks like its just a bolt in process with splicing the wiring into the light harness. It was an expensive lesson, I got too cocky by fixing the passenger side so easily

I have viewed the video and very easily repaired the right side with no problems other that stubborn bolts but I was finally successful in getting everything fixed and it works perfectly. My problem is with the passenger side with the most simple part of the repair, tapping out the clinch pin/cotter pin or whatever its called.

I went and verified on my car and I believe the passenger side motor assembly is the one that has the problem of pulling the white gear out of the housing because of the cut of the gear teeth.

You said you easily repaired the right side then you say the problem is with the passenger side?

When sitting in the driver seat Left refers to Driver side and Right refers to passenger side.

Any ways replacing the motor is basically the same for either side.

Here's a different video which shows the motor removal from the housing.

How to change the headlight motor gear in a C4 Corvette - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

I went and verified on my car and I believe the passenger side motor assembly is the one that has the problem of pulling the white gear out of the housing because of the cut of the gear teeth.

You said you easily repaired the right side then you say the problem is with the passenger side?

When sitting in the driver seat Left refers to Driver side and Right refers to passenger side.

Any ways replacing the motor is basically the same for either side.

Here's a different video which shows the motor removal from the housing.

How to change the headlight motor gear in a C4 Corvette - YouTube

yeah, I know about the harder one on the passenger side. I just loosened the bolts holding the worm gear and moved it up a little and the gear came out with little or no problem. I have seen all the videos showing how to take the motor off and replacement of gear, however, What I need now is "how to" info on replacing the entire motor, including the bracket, spindle going into headlight, stops. The motor I have ordered is totally assembled with bracket and all. I know there are two screws on the bottom of the bracket that have to come out, what I dont know is how the shaft goes into the light to rotate it. I can see that there is a nut between the sides of the bracket then a shaft with a "spindle" that appears to go into the headlight frame. It would be helpful if I had something to show exactly what has to come apart. My motor is beyond my rebuilding... the pin will not come out of the rotating piece on the side, therefor I cannot remove the motor from the frame, so i am replacing the whole thing... Motor and housing. Correction to the above post...the problem was with the drivers side,but only because I screwed up the clinch pin by using a punch that was too small and expanded the pin to the point it would not come out

Last edited:
yeah, I know about the harder one on the passenger side. I just loosened the bolts holding the worm gear and moved it up a little and the gear came out with little or no problem. I have seen all the videos showing how to take the motor off and replacement of gear, however, What I need now is "how to" info on replacing the entire motor, including the bracket, spindle going into headlight, stops. The motor I have ordered is totally assembled with bracket and all. I know there are two screws on the bottom of the bracket that have to come out, what I dont know is how the shaft goes into the light to rotate it. I can see that there is a nut between the sides of the bracket then a shaft with a "spindle" that appears to go into the headlight frame. It would be helpful if I had something to show exactly what has to come apart. My motor is beyond my rebuilding... the pin will not come out of the rotating piece on the side, therefor I cannot remove the motor from the frame, so i am replacing the whole thing... Motor and housing. Correction to the above post...the problem was with the drivers side,but only because I screwed up the clinch pin by using a punch that was too small and expanded the pin to the point it would not come out

here is a picture of what I need instructions with

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 146
Many years ago when I had to repair my C4 headlights, I found the problem of removing one of the big gears due to the flange on the gear - I could get out but the other would not slide out because the flange interfered with the worm gear. Instead of loosening the worm gear stuff, I got a small triangular file and cut grooves in the flange in line with the gears teeth. This allowed me to remove and replace the gear without having to loosen everything.

here is a picture of what I need instructions with

I just replaced my motor assembly like that. The videos show how to remove the headlight assembly from the car. Where they loosen the bracket to remove the motor, you have the bracket on the motor. Remove the bracket and motor as one unit. Reverse your steps and it goes back together.

Update

I just replaced my motor assembly like that. The videos show how to remove the headlight assembly from the car. Where they loosen the bracket to remove the motor, you have the bracket on the motor. Remove the bracket and motor as one unit. Reverse your steps and it goes back together.

I repaired the right side the way the you tube video showed, taking the entire assembly out of the car, knocking the pin out loosening two bolts holding the housing, taking the 3 screws that mount the motor to the housing, taking the cover off, loosening the three screws at the base of the upper housing to allow for removal of the gear .... some bolts were stubborn, but in all it was fairly easy and it works fine. The drivers side L/H side was a lot more trouble --caused by me -- I messed up the clinch pin and simply could get it out, so just ordered on ebay a motor, complete with the housing. It was extremely easy. I took off the outer cover, just like you would to replace a headlight, then removed the 13mm nut that secures the shaft on the motor to the assembly, then the screws everyone says to loosen, I took completely out and the complete motor and housing was off. If I were to replace the gear and pellets, this is absolutely the way to go -- remove the cowling, take out two screws and one bolt and its out. When its out you have complete access to the screws holding the gear and pellets. For me at least, I would much rather do it this way rather rather than struggle to get to the one screw thats difficult to get to and probably in so tight you risk stripping the head, not to mention a stubborn clinch pin which I encountered. This way you leave the motor in the motor bracket..simpler way I think. Took 35 minutes

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom