Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Synthetic versus standard oil

Jessica19699

Corvette
1998 Jet black coupe
Hi CAC members I just have a curious question I wanted to ask no emergency or issues thank god, I was just wondering which is the better oil to use in corvette's synthetic or regular oil, my car has roughly 119,000 miles on it when I bought it the owner before me had regular oil in it so I just kept it the same. is there a better one to use than the other or is it personal preference and what mileage should the car be at if synthetic is the better of the two? Thanks in advance Jessica

I can't think of a single question that could be more controversial. Wars have been fought over lesser issues. ;)

When you say 'better'- is that in a purely theoretical sense, or something that applies to the real world where an owner would see some measurable difference between the two?

Be ready for some contradictory answers where each side will dig their heels in.:ugh

I can't think of a single question that could be more controversial. Wars have been fought over lesser issues. ;)

No truer words have ever been said; nor in such a diplomatic fashion. :chuckle

Be ready for some contradictory answers where each side will dig their heels in.:ugh

I let Chevy's and Volvo's DIC tell me.. If the interval is longer, they want synthetic and shorter they want dinosaur oil. When the DIC says change; I change with the appropriate oil. Past that, IMO, it is all opinion.

I use Castrol Syn-blend 10w40. The best of both worlds(and arguments.) Actually a couple years ago O'Riley's was selling off all their stock for $1.50 a quart because Castrol was changing the bottle graphics. COOL! So I helped them out and I bought up 10 cases. I maintain 4 engines regularly. Three 5.7's(350 chevy's); (2 in my boat and 1 in the Vette) and a 4.2L in my GMC. I'm a stickler about changing oil too. The cars every 3000 miles(max) and the boat twice a season. I also use Nothing but Fram Filters too. I get the PH30's at Menard's on sale for about $2.25. I've NEVER had a hard-part, oil related failure. PERIOD!

No matter what type of oil you use, it makes sense to change it regularly as to keep clean oil in it. DON'T forget the air filter too. The K&N is awesome. Keep it clean with the K&N recharger kit.

Synthetic is a better oil pure and simple per my technical training, and I tend to believe it. Do you need it in a street driven vehicle, probably not. Synthetics are longer lasting in high rpm, high heat conditions as in racing conditions on a track where sustained speeds and rpms can and need to be obtained. Synthetic oils will probably never wear out, but they still get just as contaminated as dino oils so do you still want to leave them in your engine longer? Probably not. If someone was hell bent on doing long oil change intervals, then I would recommend using a synthetic oil vs a dino oil. If a vehicle is street driven and the oil is changed fairly frequently then a high quality dino oil will be just fine. I am no chemist or engineer, but I do know what I have seen in the auto industry and what I have been taught, and the best oil is probably the one recommended by the vehicle manufacturer or the engine builder if the engine has been replaced.

Thanks for the input guys I think I heard my answer, mixed reviews for sure and it seems like depending on how the conditions are that the car is driven(this is a weekend cruising car for me) i'm thinking it is more like personal preference I didn't realize I was opening a can of worms or a huge controversy lol, I haven't had an issue with regular oil at all and I keep it changed every 3000 miles so I will just stick with that thanks again for the replies;)

LLC5
Excellent post.

I use synthetics and change it when the oil life monitor says to change or when the oil looks dirty when I check it.

Years ago, engine oil changes were typically prescribed at a set interval, which was usually based upon mileage. It wasn’t uncommon to see owner’s manuals and maintenance shops advising drivers change oil every 3,000 or 5,000 miles.

But those intervals aren’t the best means to determine if a truck or SUV truly needs an oil change. As no two drivers are alike, vehicles can be subjected to a wide range of conditions, even if they’ve traveled the same number of miles. A vehicle that regularly carries heavy loads or tows trailers daily may put more strain on the engine, and need an oil change before it reaches a 3,000 mile interval. Conversely, a vehicle used for mild highway driving in warm climates may have oil that’s still good for another couple thousand miles or so.

That’s where the Oil Life Monitor comes in. Although it doesn’t measure the level of engine oil (you’ll still need to check that on the dipstick underhood), it helps provide a realistic guide as to when an engine needs its oil changed. Depending on the vehicle and the conditions experienced, the oil in a GMC may not need to be changed for up to 7,500 miles or a year.

Based on data collected over decades of extensive powertrain testing, GM engineers have developed sophisticated algorithms that reflect how time, engine speeds, engine temperatures, load, and other factors affect oil life. By plugging in real-world data for those variables, the Oil Life Monitor can accurately calculate when an oil change is needed and display the remaining oil life within the Driver Information Center."

How To Use Your GMC Oil Life Monitor - GMC Life

If the manufacturer's oil life monitor is programmed for synthetics; I'd recommend using it. If I'd choose to use Dino oil instead; I'd change it at 3K or when it looks dirty on the dipstick.

I haven't had an issue with regular oil at all and I keep it changed every 3000 miles so I will just stick with that thanks again for the replies;)

At 3000 miles, that's less than half of GM's recommendation for standard driving profile. With your type of usage and high frequency of oil change it wouldn't be of any advantage to use anything other than basic bog standard oil.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom