Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

interior lights and fuse block

jseremba

Corvette
1989 Blue Z51 6 spd Manual Transmission
Hello Everyone,

I own a 1989 Z51 Manual Corvette. My interior lights and cigarette lighter just stopped working. I am looking at the fuse block diagram and trying to figure which fuse if any operates those components.
As I look at the diagram I am reading the numbers on the block and the fuse in the block. The fuse for inj1 has 7.5 printed on the block but the block picture has a 20 Amp fuse in it. What is up with that.

Thank you
Joe

The FSM for my 1990 shows a 20amp fuse for Inj1. That sounds about right too. Also the Assy. (Accessory) fuse feeds all(or most) of the Orange (HOT) interior wires. There are about 12 to 14 legs buried in a huge wire harness behind the passenger dashboard that come off of that. These are for the interior lights, the lighter, the stereo tuner box and a bunch of other components. Should it be grounded and blow the fuse immediately, let me know. I can direct you how to find the fault.
I had the whole interior of my '90 out chasing a dead short to ground. Took 3 days but I found it. I'm NOT saying this is your problem, but my right side cargo light's wiring behind the wall by the halo was pinched and shorted. The cigarette lighter is also a worthy suspect. I had one once where some one had dropped a "dime" into the lighter socket and it shorted.

You have to keep in mind that unlike most cars that are made of metal, Corvettes do NOT have grounds readily available everywhere, because it is fiberglass and plastic. So most of the accessories also have ground wires going to them which are often bundled with the "HOT" wire. As I mentioned, all it takes is a little pinch and you have a DEAD short to ground.

But once again; The FSM is your BEST tool.

Good Luck!

The FSM for my 1990 shows a 20amp fuse for Inj1. That sounds about right too. Also the Assy. (Accessory) fuse feeds all(or most) of the Orange (HOT) interior wires. There are about 12 to 14 legs buried in a huge wire harness behind the passenger dashboard that come off of that. These are for the interior lights, the lighter, the stereo tuner box and a bunch of other components. Should it be grounded and blow the fuse immediately, let me know. I can direct you how to find the fault.
I had the whole interior of my '90 out chasing a dead short to ground. Took 3 days but I found it. I'm NOT saying this is your problem, but my right side cargo light's wiring behind the wall by the halo was pinched and shorted. The cigarette lighter is also a worthy suspect. I had one once where some one had dropped a "dime" into the lighter socket and it shorted.

You have to keep in mind that unlike most cars that are made of metal, Corvettes do NOT have grounds readily available everywhere, because it is fiberglass and plastic. So most of the accessories also have ground wires going to them which are often bundled with the "HOT" wire. As I mentioned, all it takes is a little pinch and you have a DEAD short to ground.

But once again; The FSM is your BEST tool.

Good Luck!

Actually getting a little better at using the FSM. And, yes it did help. I went to the CLSTR/CLK fuse and did see as you a lot of stuf is on that fuse. Turns out it was a fuse that I replaced the fusible wire link with. I had to jump the car and the cables must have touched the fuse block and shorted the fuse. I replaced the fuse and lights and lighter are working. Thank you for the help.

Glad it worked out. NOT to tell anybody how to maintain their car, but you should put a fusable link back in when you get around to it. It serves as a "slow-blow" type of fuse that won't pop from a brief indiscretion.
Good Luck.

Glad it worked out. NOT to tell anybody how to maintain their car, but you should put a fusable link back in when you get around to it. It serves as a "slow-blow" type of fuse that won't pop from a brief indiscretion.
Good Luck.

Thank you for the advice. Take cars

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom