Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Brake light will not go out

jseremba

Corvette
1989 Blue Z51 6 spd Manual Transmission
Hello everybody,

I own a 1989 6spd Z51 Corvette. I just changed the brake booster and the brake lights are on and will not go out. I tried the adjustment procedure in the manual and the one listed on the Corvette forum. The lights stayed on. Then I had my daughter look at the lights to see if they went off when I depressed the switch. Even with the switch fully depressed the lights stayed on.
Does any body have any suggestions as to what is wrong.
Oh and on the back of the switch is what looks like two male ends that should have a plug on them. Looking under my dash I cannot see anything that looks like it should plug on the back of the brake light switch.
Thank you for your help.

Joe

You are talking about the brakes lights in the rear of the vehicle and not in the dash, correct?

If so, unplug the brake light switch wire connector under the dash and see if they go out.

Do your 4 way flashers work properly?

You are talking about the brakes lights in the rear of the vehicle and not in the dash, correct?

If so, unplug the brake light switch wire connector under the dash and see if they go out.

Do your 4 way flashers work properly?

Yes I am talking about the rear and roof brake lights.
When I was driving my other car. I realized that there is no electrical connection to the brake light switch. There is however a connector with a blue and white wire connected to the cruise control switch. I think that this connector belongs on the brake switch or that they are interchangeable. I have attached a picture. The one with the blue and white wires is cruise control switch.

So I think I have to adjust the cruise control switch or move the connector with the blue and white wire to the brake switch.

thank you for the help

Attachments

• Brake and Cruise switch.jpg
    Brake and Cruise switch.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 159
Yes I am talking about the rear and roof brake lights.
When I was driving my other car. I realized that there is no electrical connection to the brake light switch. There is however a connector with a blue and white wire connected to the cruise control switch. I think that this connector belongs on the brake switch or that they are interchangeable. I have attached a picture. The one with the blue and white wires is cruise control switch.

So I think I have to adjust the cruise control switch or move the connector with the blue and white wire to the brake switch.

thank you for the help

Two things
1) Someone from the Corvette Forum had a picture of the connector I need.
The former owner installed an Alpine security device. There is a LARGE bundle of wires looking at the bundle I actually think the connector is in the bundle.
2) I depressed the Cruise control switch. It has the blue and white wires on the connector. The Brake lights went off. So either way it is fixed.

Thank you all.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom