Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Corvette's always run HOT!!!!

Hillrod

I have a 2000( base)?Corvette C-5?C-6? 100% stockwith 53,000miles garage kept. This is the 3rd. Vettethat we have enjoyed,they have always had a goodMoters,but are 220F* and just keep running HOTTER as you drive? The car was born to run over the temp.that water turns to steam! I am a retired Pipefitter that is so HOT! as the temp. gage rises HOTTER &HOTTER! 240F*-250F* (to myself) is steam! I don't want to moter run at high temps. I am at my ropesend,I know the design engineer has a lot of work to put the Corvette's looks with coolants being used in a confined space in front of the car! If you can get methe answer, I am ready to fix it ! Thank you so much!

I have a 2000( base)?Corvette C-5?C-6? 100% stockwith 53,000miles garage kept. This is the 3rd. Vettethat we have enjoyed,they have always had a goodMoters,but are 220F* and just keep running HOTTER as you drive? The car was born to run over the temp.that water turns to steam! I am a retired Pipefitter that is so HOT! as the temp. gage rises HOTTER &HOTTER! 240F*-250F* (to myself) is steam! I don't want to moter run at high temps. I am at my ropesend,I know the design engineer has a lot of work to put the Corvette's looks with coolants being used in a confined space in front of the car! If you can get methe answer, I am ready to fix it ! Thank you so much!

Exactly what temperature is your engine running at?

What temperature is too hot for you?

My 2001 never ran more than about 210-215. 190-205 was pretty normal. I'd have to say there's a problem....air lock in the system, plugged radiator or water pump not working properly....but I'm no mechanic, so I'll let those guys help you troubleshoot.

The C4's had the reputation of running hotter due to design but I've never heard of the C5, 6 out 7 having that issue. With routine running my C6 and 7 run around 200 degrees or less on the hottest of days.

If the problem is running hot at highway speeds, do basic stuff first. Check the coolant level just in case the low coolant warning is not working.

Disassemble the cooling stack and see how much debris is stuck between the HVAC condenser and the radiator or on the front of the HVAC condenser. Clean as necessary.

Check to make sure the front air dam is in place and, if it is, make sure it's straight and not bent back. Repair or replace as necessary.

Lastly, if the engine runs hot in traffic, too, verify that the cooling fans are working.

Let us know what you find out.

Solved my running hot problem.

I've experienced this issue with my 2002 for sometime. I bought it in 2004 with 3K miles. It now has 185,000 miles.

I've been concerned with the temperature getting over 230 when idling in traffic, for years. I've tried cleaning the radiator with a dryer brush, using coolant additives, etc., all to no avail.

I finally did what I should have done a few years ago. I had a new radiator installed.

The problem with cleaning it with the brush is that it only got the surface debris off. There was all kind of debris that was embedded in the radiator, that there was no way to remove.

I just took a trip to Myrtle Beach where I did a lot of stop and go in 90 degree weather, on the strip. Highest the temperature ever got was 201 degrees. I only wish I had done this sooner.

Frank Hamilton

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom