Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! C4 ZR1 Activation of Air Conditioning blows out new Alternators

Chuck Shilling

Corvette
1990 ZR1 Bright Red
Had some alternator problems and lack of cool air coming out of vents when I would put on Air Conditioner system.

Had Air Conditioner checked out, they added some dye and topped off system with proper freon. This was professionally completed at the same time I had a new 120 amp rebuilt alternator installed professionally.

Now, as soon as I try to activate my Air Conditioning system my alternator blows up and we get no recharging back to battery. Replaced the alternator 3 times now and afraid to activate my A/C?

Help! Has anybody had this problem and found a solution?

Chuck The Frustrated ZR1 owner.

Last edited:
My first guess would be a bad compressor clutch or a bad secondary fan motor. Disconnect those, then watch your volt meter as you turn on your a/c. If the voltage drops significantly, turn off the a/c. It's something else. Time to see your a/c mechanic again.

:cool

Had some alternator problems and lack of cool air coming out of vents when I would put on Air Conditioner system.

Had Air Conditioner checked out, they added some dye and topped off system with proper freon. This was professionally completed at the same time I had a new 120 amp rebuilt alternator installed professionally.

Now, as soon as I try to activate my Air Conditioning system my alternator blows up and we get no recharging back to battery. Replaced the alternator 3 times now and afraid to activate my A/C?

Help! Has anybody had this problem and found a solution?

Chuck The Frustrated ZR1 owner.

Chuck, did you get this problem resolved? When you say the alternator "blows up", do you mean the diodes blow and your dash volt reading goes to zero? ... and this is immediate? Amazing that you don't blow a safety fuse first.