Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

AIR CONDITIONING "OR LACK OF"

M

MHORNE

Air Conditioning "or Lack Of"

My 1989 Coupe, will not blow cold air. The compressor runs, and inside doen't blow anything resembling cool air. I checked the Freon, which is full, the lines coming off of the comp. are all cold, I removed the entire dash to see if there was a door that opens/shuts upon turning on air, and it does work fine, however the ait is hot. What am I to do, I purchased this car 3 weeks ago and with Summer quickly approaching i need help. Under the hood, everything seems to be running as such, IE: cold where it should be, there is a black objst on the fire wall which seems to be where air goes, and I can feel cool air coming out of there, near a rubber like gasket, "feels like putty" that is as far as the cool air travels. Can anyone help? The Chevy dealer has a minimum price of 15o bucks just to tell me what they think is wrong!! wow thats sick. Anyway is anyone can help I would appreciate it!!
I did some checking, and I have electronic controls, The owners manual states that in the off position, If I choose 70 degrees, the system will force all air to the floor outlets, I have it set on 60, and today it was 75 here, and I had hot air blowing in thru the floor, does it sound like an outside air sensor? I have no clue, Im reaching for straws here, another person said to disconnect battery and it would reset, is that correct?

WELCOME to :CAC MHORNE I haven't looked at the links that MR Piitot provided, but you'll NEVER go wrong following his advice :beer I'm sure you'll find some info there, proly by, I think SUNCR, who knows all this stuff.

The answer is close at hand :beer

The links were for a 90-96 veete, Mine is a 89. Will they still be the same?

I don't claim to know much about the later generation vettes, which to me this is. I'm trying to learn. But could this be a case where your A/C is fine but your heater controls have failed? I don't even know if your car has a hot water control valve, but if so I think I would check it. I'm pretty sure if both are on, the heater will win. Hope I'm not wastin your time.

Mike

MHORNE said:
The links were for a 90-96 veete, Mine is a 89. Will they still be the same?
My car and my experience is pre-electronic A/C. I intended to nudge you to the search tool above, but also to help with what I suspect is a setup that is similar to yours, by finding the reset that I remember reading about. You won't damage the unit by pressing buttons to seee if the procedure listed in those posts works.
:w

Gee, Moon. Thanks..Now the pressure is on.:L

What do you mean you "checked the freon"? Did you check your high and low pressures with a set of gauges?

Another thing, is there a spray of oil on the underside of your hood, directly above the compressor? If so, you are experiencing shaft seal leak, a common problem on the Denso compressor.

I highly suspect that the freon has leaked out of the system after many years of use.

Of course I checked the freon with qauges, they read perfect for freon.
I am going to try the above link and see if it is the same for my year.

MHORNE said:
Of course I checked the freon with qauges, they read perfect for freon.
I am going to try the above link and see if it is the same for my year.

Maybe check the a/c controller...

I had a problem with my 84 and it was the hot cold lever ... Not sure if yours has a lever or not but I pulled my controller and moved the cable manually ...
it works now but only cold... No heat...

I suspect a clogged evaporator coil. Not the conderser that's in front of the radiator. The one in that "black box" on the firewall.

Len:w

MHORNE said:
How Do I Unclog That?

Seperating the two halves of the evaporator shell will expose the coils. Save as much of the black "goo" for reuse. It's not that hard a job. Keep a bucket handy to catch the antifreeze when you remove the heater hoses. You'd be suprised what can get sucked up in there.

Len"w

NYERNGA,
Tahnx man, you fixed the problem, upon opening the evaporator shell, i found a door which release the cold air into vette, I opened the door and air conditioning worked fine, The only downfall is when i hit the heat button, the door shuts, and doesnt reopen. But being that is almost summer, I reopened it, and will not hit heat button till september, haha if I can keep wifes hands away from it. Anyway thanx so much man , you were a life saver, as well as saving me alot of money and not needed parts from my chevy garage.
Mike

MHORNE said:
NYERNGA,
Tahnx man, you fixed the problem,

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then..;LOL

be cool:cool

Len:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom