Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Concerns buying rebuilt engine?

Corn-vette

I just looked at a 1969 L68 car that ticks all the boxes as far as what I want...seller even has protecto plate, window sticker, etc. Car had a frame off done a few years ago, and at that time the engine was rebuilt. Shop is Carolina Engine Heads down in High Point, NC. I'm not familiar as I'm in NY, and the invoice from the shop lists things like "bore block" and "cam shaft" etc etc. I left a voicemail to see if they could describe more about what was done...current owner seems unaware of what was done, he just wrote the check.

Let's pretend that they did a great rebuild. My concerns are that the car is showing 43k, so I can't be sure if now we're looking at 43 or 143, notwithstanding the rebuild. My concern also is that I don't know what to make of the fact that it's been rebuilt. Is that a bad thing for the cars longevity decades down the road? Should I be looking to drive a negotiation based on the fact that you probably can't bore the engine again if the time comes for another rebuild?

And, realistically, I don't know if they did a good job or not. Anyone have experience they'd care to share?

If the current owner is unaware of what was done to the engine ,look for another car. If it had 43k at the time of it being rebuilt, it shouldn't have needed to be bored unless the engine wasn't taken care of during it life. Ask for receipts of what was done and what documentation he has on the car.

The car is 50 years old so if all the rubber and bushings weren't replaced at one time or another, they will need to be.

Last edited:
From what I could see, many/most bushings were replaced (notable exception would be those on the leaf spring, oddly enough). Hoses, fuel lines, brake lines replaced.

Invoice from the machine shop suggests heavy work done, which is just odd. Couldn't have needed that at 40k, and if it got to 140k, that's a stretch for that engine I would think. I'm extremely torn on this car, it's just the current owner seems like he cares only for outward appearance, and has zero awareness of anything that went into making it look nice, as it does right now.

Are you positive it's the original engine? I would be suspicious of the old switcheroo where they rebuilt a non corvette motor and dressed it up to look like one.

Are you positive it's the original engine? I would be suspicious of the old switcheroo where they rebuilt a non corvette motor and dressed it up to look like one.

I always thought a 427 was roughly the same engine whether it came from a Vette, or from a Chevelle.

Just my 2 cents worth, if the current owner can't (won't) answer your questions about the rebuild, I'd walk away as fast as I could. Something seems off with this sale to me.

I always thought a 427 was roughly the same engine whether it came from a Vette, or from a Chevelle.

Have you had the engine stamp pad verified for correctness? If you don't know how to do this yourself, contact your local NCRS chapter to see if youcan get one of their guys to do it for you. Be aware that for every one genuine car. There's probably three phonies. If there is any doubt it's time to run away!

Have you had the engine stamp pad verified for correctness? If you don't know how to do this yourself, contact your local NCRS chapter to see if youcan get one of their guys to do it for you. Be aware that for every one genuine car. There's probably three phonies. If there is any doubt it's time to run away!

It would depend on the asking price if you want numbers matching. There are all types. I know a guy with a 69 who just got done building a 454 to ove 500 something. Too much torque for a M21, and the differential, but that was his thing I guess.

The OP mentions having a protect o plate and a window sticker which indicates to me that he's looking for a real deal L 68 vs. a phony clone. I also can't imagine any reason for doing a full frame restoration on a car with only 43K miles on it.

Something's not right

Blocks are known to "settle". If you're going to spent the money on a "seasoned" block, why not clean up the bores 10 over. What is unknown.... were they cleaned up or done 30 over because it was worn out?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom