Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

High Mileage Oil Weight

jnj

Corvette
2006 Machine Silver Coupe
My 2001 has just over 192,000 and is starting to lose some oil between changes (5000 miles)
I use the recommended 5w30 Full Synthetic.
My question is with that mileage should I step up to a heavier oil like 10w30 or perhaps something else.

As for where its going, there doesn't seem to be any leaks, nor is there any blue smoke upon start up or full throttle passing

Thanks in advance

My 2001 has just over 192,000 and is starting to lose some oil between changes (5000 miles)
I use the recommended 5w30 Full Synthetic.
My question is with that mileage should I step up to a heavier oil like 10w30 or perhaps something else.

As for where its going, there doesn't seem to be any leaks, nor is there any blue smoke upon start up or full throttle passing

Thanks in advance

I wouldn’t. If you want to switch viscosity’s I would do a 5W-40 but not a 10W for cold start up. How much oil are you using in 1K miles?

I wouldn’t. If you want to switch viscosity’s I would do a 5W-40 but not a 10W for cold start up. How much oil are you using in 1K miles?
Losing maybe up to 1 Qt in more like 2k miles.
Just enough for the Low Oil Level to show on DIC.
Stick is at the ADD hole

Losing maybe up to 1 Qt in more like 2k miles.
Just enough for the Low Oil Level to show on DIC.
Stick is at the ADD hole

.5 qt in 1K miles isn't much for 190K. I doubt a heavier viscosity oil will help, but you could try it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom