Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

air shocks??

stevolwevol

Corvette
1977 light blue
I was inspecting the underneath of my 79, and I discovered that the previous owner installed air shocks on it. I put about 50 lbs of air in them, and it brought the back end up nicely (where it should be). That's probably why they are there due to tired leaf spring. My guess is that the upper bracket isn't supposed to be load bearing like the air shocks would give it. If they are safe to use, I could replace them. Any input would be appreciated.

The
previous owner put a band aid on the problem. The shock mounts weren't designed to hold the load of the rear of the car. I would replace the
leaf spring.

The
previous owner put a band aid on the problem. The shock mounts weren't designed to hold the load of the rear of the car. I would replace the
leaf spring.

That's what my thoughts were Doug, it just looked really nice. The top shock mount looks weak for sustained pressure the air shocks would give it, so... now I should replace the spring(s). I'm not crazy about the fiberglass monosprings, so maybe stock replacements will do.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom