Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake pads and rotors

ZAKS VETTE

Corvette
1992 C4 green drop top
I'm in the middle of changing pads and rotors front and back. On the rear I could not get the caliper over the rotor until i read the shop manual closer, I had the pads in wrong. Manual really helps..

One Q I do have is; The fatter rotor or thicker hat goes on front right?

TIA

Yep.............

attachment.php

Last edited:
I like it also,but for some reason it wont show up ?

Huh? What do you mean? The front right and left has more braking surface area. Is this what you are asking? Thought you had the shop manual, although YouTube will work as well.

Huh? What do you mean? The front right and left has more braking surface area. Is this what you are asking? Thought you had the shop manual, although YouTube will work as well.

yes i have a shop manual however it does not say anything about two different rotors?

Well, did I answer your question okay?

Last edited:
Actually no, I was talking about the hat part of the rotor one being thicker then the other...

I don't understand your problem.

1. You have two sets of rotors, front and back, correct?
2. Regardless of what you refer to as the rotor "hats", do two of the rotors appear to have a larger surface area than the other two?
3. If so, then forget the "hats" and place the two larger surface area rotors on the front; other two on the rear.
4. If rotor surface areas are equal, then I'd say you have the wrong rotors.

Where did you get these things. Can you post a photo of what your rotors look like?

I don't understand your problem.

1. You have two sets of rotors, front and back, correct?
2. Regardless of what you refer to as the rotor "hats", do two of the rotors appear to have a larger surface area than the other two?
3. If so, then forget the "hats" and place the two larger surface area rotors on the front; other two on the rear.
4. If rotor surface areas are equal, then I'd say you have the wrong rotors.

Where did you get these things. Can you post a photo of what your rotors look like?
I measured the rotor surfaces and they measure 1.80 inches so they both are the same except for the hats which two are higher then the other two. the ones I took off looked the same with the higher hats so I put them on the front. A video I watched on youtube showed the same thing about the higher hats.

Now I already thew out the old rotors so no comparison. I also threw out the packaging from rock auto and the rotors are on the vette.

It looks to me that the rotors with the lower hat height on the FRONT would not clear the calipers? That's the way the old ones were when I took them off.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom