Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Collectors Edition Fuel Tank

UKVETTEHEAD

Corvette
C3 Collectors Edition
The crash protection bladder in my 1982 tank has swelled and in hot weather prevents the sender unit float from free movement causing the fuel gauge to stick at approx half full. Seems OK in colder weather. I understand these bladders are no longer required but has anyone tried to cut it up and remove from the tank? Almost impossible I'm sure. Is there any way to get it back to hug the tank sides.? And why are there no baffles in the tank. A major oversight by GM.

Last edited:
That's a new one on me. what does it do with the tank full?
The crash protection bladder in my 1982 tank has swelled and in hot weather prevents the sender unit float from free movement causing the fuel gauge to stick at approx half full. Seems OK in colder weather. I understand these bladders are no longer required but has anyone tried to cut it up and remove from the tank? Almost impossible I'm sure. Is there any way to get it back to hug the tank sides.? And why are there no baffles in the tank. A major oversight by GM.
??

That's a new one on me. what does it do with the tank full?

??
Yes, the fuel level doesn't seems to make a difference. However, I have now got he tank out of the car and have been venting it over a few days and this lining has now returned to its original shape and is now hugging the tank wall. I can only conclude that the high temperatures we have had in the UK this summer is the reason. Thanks for your input Tom.

Is it possible that there is a leak allowing fuel to get out of the bladder and accumulate between the bladder and the tank?

It is possible but I've not found any holes or damage inside. There is also vapour venting system which has not worked for years, in fact I capped off the vacuum lines to it but I have now reinstated it so that may help. I am waiting to fit a new pump to the tank now so shall see what happens then. Thanks again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom