Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wandering front end...

J

joshs78sleeper

oK...i just picked up my 78 about a month ago from my grandma (Family heirloom). I drove it home from reno to the bay area cali, and noticed pretty much the whole way that the steering on it seems to wander. What i mean by this is it seems to jerk left and right on the road when just driving down the freeway. Now at first it really worried me, it was jerking so bad that it was scaring me thinking i was gonna hit a car in the next lane. I learned to deal with it after a while, and I just really have to relax my grip on the wheel and let the car do its own thing, whereas before i was trying to control it.

Well the tires were at least 8 years old and the car had been sitting for a long time, so i thought that this might be a part of the problem. I put more air in the tires, and made sure they all had the same pressure...this seemed to help a little bit.

The whole front end suspension was just completely rebuilt a week before i picked the car up. Im just wondering what might be causing this??

My grandma said the cars always been like that and you just have to get used to it...anybody elses c3 drive like this? Is it just old? Or is there something wrong?

It's called recirculating ball. I have just had the front end on mine rebuilt as well and have the same problem. As long as you have some left or right pressure on the unit, the steering is crisp. Get it in the middle with a little play in either direction and it feels like you are driving a truck.

Do a search on steering and you will find that you are not the first to post about this complaint.

The solution is rack and pinion steering and a kit called "Steeroids".

...and welcome to the CAC.

Bob

Yup, thats totally how it is...on turns the sucker holds good and handles great....but when im just cruising its all over the place. Im just glad to hear im not the only one with the problem.

The only thing that concerns me is how its gonna react with 400hp behind it. When i put this new engine in, which will be soon, I hope im gonna be going straight down that quarter track.

Is there a cheaper solution then $985 for rack and pinion? Or should i just not worry about it and wait untill i get the money for that?

The mechanically handicapped, I admit I am one of those, use Steeroids. Others have put rack & pinion from other cars in for about a third of that price as I recall. Search the forum for steeroids or rack and pinion and you will see what some others have done

Jerky steering...

...I haven't experienced that. Am I just lucky?

ps system has been replaced three times, the third time I finally did everything at once and now I have no leaks.
Heidi

josh,

Before you shell out some big bucks for the steering mods..

What kind of tires are on your 78?

Have you had the car up in the air and inspected the idler arm, power steering unit (control valve, pump and slave cylinder), rubber bushings in the stablizer bars?

What is the wear pattern on the tires, and when was the last time the car had a 4 wheel alignment?

The 60 series tires caused some 78-82 cars to wander a bit, but most of my experience has been with OLD tires, esp.. the Good Year Gator Backs..

Just a few more ideas for you to check, if you haven't already.. and If you have a buddy with a good set of tires.. try a 4 wheel swap for a drive and see if that makes any difference..

Well, like i said the tires are very old. I am putting new rims and some good rubber on next week so i guess ill see then if that helps.

I did check out the steeroids set....it was $985....thats where i got that figure from. Thats why i was asking if there was anything cheaper as a solution.

The bushings on the front end were all replaced no more then 300 miles ago....so thats why I was asking. Once i get the new tires on if i still have the problem then i guess ill have to check it out more.

But at least i know its a somewhat common problem.

Yeah things get really interesting at 110mph!!

Did you replace the idler arm? I've heard that can give you this kind of problem.

Michael

My car tracks straight and true. I can let go of the wheel at 75mph and it does not pull at all. There is a small amount of play in the gear box,but it is very minimal. The front suspension has been completely rebuilt and all the wheels profesionally spin balanced. Do you know if the car had a complete front and rear alignment recently? I would have this checked for starters. That wandering all over the road business would drive me nuts!
I am thinking about that Steeroid system down the road,but I would like to see the price come down somewhat.

Dave

Josh,
My 1980 also has the same problems that you discribed. I have been beating my head against the wall trying to figure this problem out too! I checked my whole front end and cannot find any play. I'll also be using the advise that you get here.:confused

Sounds like a "toe-in" problem....
The front-end shop may not have set the toe (around 1/8" toe-in) if there is no toe-in the car will want to wander all over the road. Have a front-end shop check it before you spend a lot of money.

Some have had that same problem with 255/60/15 tires on the front and changed to 235 or 225/60/15 front and the problem went away. If you now have 255's maybe you could borrow a pair of 235 or 225 and see what happens.

...it may also be that there is too much play in the steering box. You could always loosen the lock-nut and tighten the lash-nut a little. That would get some play out of your steering.

When I first got my car, the steering was horrible! Very scary to drive. I have replaced a ball-joint, tie-rod end (or 2), new sway bar bushings, power steering pump, and recently rebuilt the power steering rod and control valve.

The steering is right-on now, and I cannot complain at all about the way it handles.

-Vic

I agree vmrod, but if the steering is that worn it should be replaced. You need to be carefull about tighting the lash-nut because while you way take some play out of the center of the rack, the ends (left and right side), will tend to lock or tighten up. This is not good, in fact scary, when you are making a sharp turn. Try to solve the problem with the least expensive solution first.

My 82 did the very same thing. I drove it to Eureka Springs AR. a month ago & was sorry when I got in to the Ozarks. After I got it home I replaced the steering control valve. Actually, I attempted a rebuild 1st..... that was a disaster..... after I drove on the rebuild apx 50 miles, it leaked something awful. Then I replaced it with a new valve. The car drives like brand new. I couldn't believe how much diference there was before & after the new valve. Good luck!!!

PS - prior to the new valve, I had already replaced: Ball joints, springs, shocks, PS pump, had tires rotated & balanced & had the front end aligned. None of this fixed the wondering, it did tighten everything up nicely but I couldn't keep the car heading straight. I do still have the original slave cylander which was going to be next but now, no need.

I had a very similar problem with wandering when I got my car. The first thing was taking almost all the "slop" out of the steering box with the adjustment screw on top. Be careful, and tighten it slowly until you feel just a little resistance. Too much starts ruining the internals in the box. when you feel just a little resistance, stop and turn back 1/16 of a revolution or so. I had to do this three times to find "The Spot", but the car handled great after that. If you tighten the screw too much on a non power steering car, you will notice increased turning effort immediately. On a power steering unit, it's not as evident. That's why you need to be careful.

The other thing is to look at is the front end bushings on the a frames. They are probably shot, just from sitting. Replacement is probably needed if they are 20 years or so old.

wandering front end to Bob Chadwick

i recently installed a steroid rack & pinion from Eckler's (ship to canada is 1,700,00$) but sill beating my head against the wall it is still wandering right & left the whole front end has been change also had alignment done with new rear shims .but did not check toe in 1/8" i will have that check thank's :thumb

i recently installed a steroid rack & pinion from Eckler's (ship to canada is 1,700,00$) but sill beating my head against the wall it is still wandering right & left the whole front end has been change also had alignment done with new rear shims .but did not check toe in 1/8" i will have that check thank's :thumb
Hey, J.G.L.!! Welcome to the CAC!! It's always nice to have another Canuck aboard. I'm in Ottawa. Sorry about all the politicians... :ugh

By the way, this is an ancient thread from our archives but the advice looks like it's still good. :thumb

When you get a chance, drop by the New Member Introductions area and say "Hi" to everyone!

Cheers!

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom