Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Run Flat Tires

Corvette
2000 Dark Bowling Green Metalic Convertable
I recently had an experience with my run flat tires that I thought I would share. I was on the beltway in St. Louis doing 60mph when I hit something in the road and my left front tire immediately went flat. The information center reported first low pressure, then said it was flat, then reminded me that max speed was 55. I was amazed that there was no change in handling characteristics. I took a back road home and averaged around 40mph while driving 20 miles to the tire place near my home. There was a half inch hole through the tread of the tire so I had to purchase a new one.

Run flats work and deliver a safe and convenient method of getting to a repair site. I cannot immagine what it would have been like with a normal tire, rapid deflating at 60mph. Then, with no jack or spare waiting for a tow truck.

I had flirted with the idea of going non-runflat for the quieter ride but now will hapily ride the safe way.

RW,

Great to hear yet another EMT success story! Seems as though someone on here has one every few months. Noisy ride and all, you can't put a price on the safety of you and those you care about.

I'd have to say, a big fat "me too". If I want to take my car on a track and time it, etc, I'd get a second set of rims and tires just for that. But for daily driving, hell, not plowing into others, or worse is a big bonus especially with a front flat.

When I had to get new front tires recently, Mr. Pinky made me get runflats because he didn't want me to be stranded without a spare. Not like I'd be changing a spare anyway but at least I don't have to "depend on the kindness of strangers" - !

There is another post with the Kumho run flats for Vettes. They seem like a very good alternative to the goodyears. Cheaper too.

I ran Kumhos on a C4 I had and was very satisfied with their performance and general appearance. My C5 will be getting new shoes in a few months and Kumho will be one of my choices to replace the Goodyears.

I ran Kumhos on a C4 I had and was very satisfied with their performance and general appearance. My C5 will be getting new shoes in a few months and Kumho will be one of my choices to replace the Goodyears.
I saw two lists recently at Discount Tire. One was of EMT tire brands that can be repaired, the other was of EMT tire brands that cannot be repaired. Kumho was on the list of those that cannot be repaired. When buying new EMT's everyone might want to check the lists if you are interested in being able to repair the tire.

I saw two lists recently at Discount Tire. One was of EMT tire brands that can be repaired, the other was of EMT tire brands that cannot be repaired.
Any idea if that list is online anywhere? That is just the info that I have been looking for.

tom...

I travel all over the country and I prefer the EMT's and I only by major name brands.I don't want to end up in Butfield Kansas looking for the Hackamoto dealer.

Any idea if that list is online anywhere? That is just the info that I have been looking for.

tom...
It might be online someplace, but I wouldn't know where. I would think that any Discount Tire store will have the lists. Google may lead you someplace. Seems you can find out anything about anything with Google.

Got some new Kumhos

These are outstanding. So much quieter than the Goodyear emts, and I think they look a lot better. Plus they were a fraction of the price. Too bad the shop I went to jerked me around for 4 hours trying to get these things put on. Sorry have to vent here.
First off, my car was up on the lift for about 2 hours without anyone doing anything to it, there were only 2 other cars in the shop and about 6 mechanics;squint: So the guy sees me walking around and he's trying to tell me that since the sidewall on runflats is so stiff, it's really hard to put air in them. 10 min later I see them finally trying to put the tires on the wheels;squint: Then the idiot trys to put the 17in tire on the 18in wheel. Finally got out of there at 9pm, but the manager wasn't there to yell at anymore so I think i'm gonna have to make a trip back today.
I feel people automatically give me crap for having a vette. Anyone else have problems like this?
Anyways, I've got a warranty on these tires so that if they can't be fixed, I'll just get another one for free.
All in all, pretty good shoes

Michelin

I replaced the Goodyears with Michelin runflats 2-1/2 years ago... 5,000 miles ago.

They run somewhat quieter, roll over bumps without that jarring thud and feedback through the steering wheel.

Considering safety, convenience, street performance, I will stick with these. They were about the same price as the Goodyears at the TireRack.

Considering safety, convenience, street performance, I will stick with these. They were about the same price as the Goodyears at the TireRack.[/quote] I bought the same tire and agree with you.The only down side is the tire bead is out by the rim a little.I 'd hate to buy a off brand and on my way to Cruise-fest have a major tire problem. The sit in wild Willey's tire shop for three days waiting for UPS to ship a matching tire .

vett boy,
Glad you brought it up! There is a Hackamoto dealer in Burntscrotum, Kansas about 25 miles east of Butfield. But they are only open Tuesday nights and only take money orders written on the Bank of Japan.

Well i've been to Weasedink.Your one sick puppy Larry if you understand me.But I think you understand my point of view. Steve

I have an 02 Z. I know the tires on it now are not emt's. My question is do the emt's weigh more than the non emt's and by how much?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom