Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

AMP Meter Question

paul67

Corvette
1974 convertible
I attended a very nice cruise event yesterday in Quebec, Canada. A very nice show! On the way home I noticed my AMP gauge was a wee bit shy on the (-) side rather than a wee bit shy on the (+) side as used to be the norm. I tested the output from the alternator tonight and it looks fine at 14.5V. But in the non-running condition the battery shows 13.5V. It seems over-charged. Any ideas what is happening here. It is an Optima 800CCA battery.

aylmer06005.jpg

Today the ammeter is perfectly normal: slightly (+). I can't explain what happened last Sunday.

Today the ammeter is perfectly normal: slightly (+). I can't explain what happened last Sunday.

I'd check the connection at the meter...Of course..disconnect the negitive battery terminal before checking.:)

Thats normal for an Optima. Might have been something shorting out the guage and then fell off, check the guage for a loose conection or something that might be touching it and grounding it out somewhat.

I'll check the gauge connection. I have since learned that a fully charged (100%) gel battery will show 12.85 volts in a non-running state. So I guess things are normal.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom