Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

MPG

BugMan

Corvette
04 Torch Red Convertible w Black Rag Top & 6 speed
A couple of weeks ago I did a 250 mile trip from Miami Beach to New Smyrna Beach. I purposely kept the speed limit at 65 mph to see what would be my mpg. Well I averaged 33.1 mpg on the 250 mile trip each way on my 04 convertible. Is this what you guys get? I realize Florida is flat as a pancake so feedback from drivers in flat country would be quite appropriate. Thanks.

At 65 I would get around 30MPG in my Z06. At 80, it is more like 27.

A couple of weeks ago I did a 250 mile trip from Miami Beach to New Smyrna Beach. I purposely kept the speed limit at 65 mph to see what would be my mpg. Well I averaged 33.1 mpg on the 250 mile trip each way on my 04 convertible. Is this what you guys get? I realize Florida is flat as a pancake so feedback from drivers in flat country would be quite appropriate. Thanks.
With a 6sp thats just about right.What you might not realize is that at 75-80 mph you might only get 33.0.

From Massachusetts to Daytona in May this year, I averaged 29.9 MPG with the cruise set at 75 MPH, The trip also included showing those punks in the Mustangs and tuner cars not to bother messing with the C5.........you will only see the back end for a very short period of time.......while the C5 MPG is good you have to pump in the high test rocket fuel for the performance........beats the 17 MPG in the SUV though.

Is it me or does everyone you pass on the higway seem to want to keep up with the vette speed wise ?

Went 3,000 miles in the 04 Conv auto, Austin to Las Vegas and back, and got 30.5 mpg.

When I drive on the freeway on flat terrain, the best I have seen is 26-27 on cruise control at 75 mph on long trips. I have an A4 but what I think makes the difference is the 3.15 diff.

However, when I check on my Normal day –to- day driving, I always see 18 mph on the DIC even if my daily driving contains a lot of highway. I guess this is caused by the fact that I like the sound of the corsa between 3,500 and 5,000 rpm and being pushed against the seat on acceleration. Gas is $4.25 here.

4.5 mph on race track….

Is it me or does everyone you pass on the higway seem to want to keep up with the vette speed wise ?

No, it's not just you- I think everyone wants to think they're soccer-mom mobile or deisel truck is just as fast as a Vette. The trick is to choose your road kill moments wisely. ;)

Coming back from Cruisefest in June, I drove across southern Indiana, southern Illinois, around St. Louis and through Central Missouri- with the AC on the whole time- and still averaged in the high-20s.

Then I hit Kansas. The good news is that my gas mileage actually increased slightly. The bad news: the Kansas State Patrol are ruthlessly efficient at enforcing a 65 MPH on I-70. And at 65 MPH, Kansas is one, incredibly long, boring state to get through.

-Patrick

I saw something online recently that said for every 5 MPH over 60 it cuts 10% on your MPG. So, on my last 200 mile trip here in mostly flat Okla I checked that theory. On the first part of my trip there was some construction so I kept it at 60 MPH and got 33 MPG, then I put it at 70 and got 30 (that's 10% worse at 10 MPH more) and later on the turnpike I put it on 80 and got 26.5, another 12.7% worse. So, for a vette which has much better aerodynamics than most cars and especially trucks you loose 10% for every 10 MPH. Mine is a 2001 Coupe with the 4 sp auto and it was over 100 that day so the A/C was running to the max.
Save the wave...
Dave

My $.02 worth. We took the 02 Vert from Maine to Nashville and back via
Gettysburg. Traveling at 70 to 75, with 3:90 gears, averaged for the 3400
miles a nice 30.1. Seams the mileage on the C-5 is great and with a six
speed, a little better. :)

The Vette is the easiest thing I have on fuel, just need more summer to
drive it. :w

I average 33.+ on a trip,cruz set on 83 in 6th!! have seen 35. on occasions!:upthumbs

WOW.

My car must be totally screwed (02 auto coupe). I can set the cruise control and cruise for a whole tank and not get over 23mpg. (DIC says 25 but its always optimistic)

I have a friend with same car (different color) and he gets 22 mpg.

I think that some of the MPG claims sound a little optimistic. The DIC indicator uses a mathmatical formula to calculate gasoline use. It is not measured directly. The DIC does not average the fuel mileage for a whole trip, either. I remember reading (in the owner's manual?) that it only counts the last 20 gallons or so.

The only good way to get a more accurate reading would be to use the indicated mileage on the odometer and the gallons of gas purchased for several consecutive tanks and calculate the result.

On a recent trip to the Bonneville Salt Flats from Reno (mostly flat, 75 mph speed limit with a couple of 55 mph construction zones), I drove there with the top down all the way, averaged 73 mph with 25.7 mpg.

On the way back I had the top up, averaged close to 80 mph and got 25.1 mpg.

I will pick the 80 mph any day over a .6 mpg saving - even at $3.35/gal for premium here!

....The DIC does not average the fuel mileage for a whole trip, either. I remember reading (in the owner's manual?) that it only counts the last 20 gallons or so....
The factory service manual for my '04 states:

Average Fuel Economy (AFE)
AFE is calculated as the ratio between the following values:
- AFE-Distance/Fuel
- Distance=The accumulated distance since the last AFE reset
- Fuel=The accumulated fuel consumption since the last AFE reset
The IPC receives fuel level information from the PCM via class 2. You can reset teh AFE mode by pressing the Reset button on the DIC. The value of this mode is retained during ignition OFF.

This past weekend the wife and I went on a nice little cruise up over the Rockies to Gateway Colorado (Southwest of Grand Junction) and back through Steamboat Springs. Then back to Johnstown CO. We went 775 miles with a half a dozen or so "spirited runs". When we filled up each time the DIC was only a few tenths off of the actual calculated MPG, which ended up being 28.7 mpg! We also went over 6 mountain passes. These cars are just too much! I did not reset the DIC after each fillup.

On a VERY hilly route I take about twice a week I average 27mpg over about 30 miles. Many times will the instant milage reading be 9mpg on the uphill and 99mpg on the down hill. In order to come out with a trip average of 27mpg, you'd thinking one way was an overall decrease in altitude, but oddly enough it's about 27mpg both ways. Ahh the things you think of when you're bored on the freeway.

On a trip from central La. to Hot Springs, Arkansas and back, averaged 28.7 mpg. Much better than my GMC truck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom