Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

heat barrier??

srs244

Corvette
1978 pace car, 04 CE convert
i remember at one time a rather lengthy thread on dynamat, etc as a heat barrier when re-doing the interior (carpet, etc). i figured since i am about to embark on this project, i would like opinions as to what you have used, how hard it was to install (work with), what you might think is the best product for maximum heat reduction at a fair price that was easy to work with.

thanks for the opinions and suggestions.

Reflectix, at home depot, ace hardware or lowes. God bless, Sensei

Another vote here ...some pics of it on my 77 check link in my home page, also did my C5 with it.

i remember at one time a rather lengthy thread on dynamat, etc as a heat barrier when re-doing the interior (carpet, etc). i figured since i am about to embark on this project, i would like opinions as to what you have used, how hard it was to install (work with), what you might think is the best product for maximum heat reduction at a fair price that was easy to work with.

I bought a roll of Reflectix insulation for about $20 (look in the attic insulation area), a roll of aluminum tape for around $15, and a can of spray adhesive for around $7 from Lowe's. I did mine a few weeks ago (over a weekend)... it's made a world of difference!... and it cost less than $50 for the entire project.

I used the Rik's Corvette carpet insulator. It works pretty good, and the 4' X 15' option does covers the entire front and rear areas. I still have about a 2 foot by 1 foot section laying around somewhere.

View attachment 11018

GerryLP:cool

thanks for the info. the price and availability certainly seems to make it pretty much of a no brainer. i appreciate the input.

Does Reflectix dampen sound too?

Gary,

I have not yet driven it with the top up (closed) since the install... so no notable sound difference with the top down... still just as load as before (headers going through 2.5" chambered system).

However, I would presume that it helps with the wndows shut and top up and sealed-in...

I'll test it out tomorrow and will write back.

Ralph

Here's a little something to think about:

http://www.lizardskin.com/

During my engine swap last winter I used this on the entire firewall and about 1/4 way into the transmission cowel area. This winter I'm going to pull out the reflectix in the interior and spray this. The beauty of it is that there are no seams, it covers every little crack and crevice. The reflectix made some difference and the cost was right but this stuff made driving the car on a hot day fun vs. leaving it in the garage. It's water soluble, contains ceramic and goes on about .050 thick. Remains flexible so it never cracks.

Bill

Does Reflectix dampen sound too?

Yes... However, I have two layers of Reflectix. I can carry on a normal conversation @ 70 with yelling at my passenger.

It's really good stuff, and a lot less expensive than the Dynamat.

Here's a little something to think about:

http://www.lizardskin.com/

During my engine swap last winter I used this on the entire firewall and about 1/4 way into the transmission cowel area. This winter I'm going to pull out the reflectix in the interior and spray this. The beauty of it is that there are no seams, it covers every little crack and crevice. The reflectix made some difference and the cost was right but this stuff made driving the car on a hot day fun vs. leaving it in the garage. It's water soluble, contains ceramic and goes on about .050 thick. Remains flexible so it never cracks.

Bill

i explored this product, but it is awful expensive. they claim it will take 4 gallons to do the interior of a corvette properly, that's just short of $400.00. even dynamat, which i really consider expensive is less and while i appreciate it is a sprayed product, i can't imagine that it is significantly better as far as a heat barrier. it might be marginally more efficient, but i would think that would be hard to prove. the case that the manufacturer seems to try to make on the website seems to be one of cost (i can't imagine that reflectex or dynamat would cost the $2000.00 they claim for a heat barrier type installation). i appreciate all of this is opinion, but is sure seems that a lot of folks are more than satisfied using reflectex or dyanamat or a similar product.

Hello
I did a search and found this topic. I have custom headers on my car and with all of the expenses at this point of my project, I won't be getting them ceramic coated until the fall(after the car is out)
I saw the comments about Reflectix and was wondering if it can be used on the outside of the car at the bottoms of the fenders in the engine compt and lower firewall
I have Lizard Skin sprayed on the inside of the cabin . The headers are outsiders and come close to the bottom of the front fenders and firewall. I am going to use aluminum plates in the affected areas that are spaced away from the body slightly and was wondering about using this in between
I am not driving this in the rain, but it will get wet and some road debris tossed at it
any advice is appreciated
Tom
street/strip 63 project

www.jcwhitney.com for a 24' roll of special insulation with foil on one side. Excellent for noise control too. Far cheaper than DynaMat. More effective than Reflectix.

"Dynamat" isn't going to do much to insulate from heat because it's primarily an acoustic management product.

What you need is thermal insulation products from a company like Design Engineering Inc.. I've used their products to insulate fuel system parts, insulate floor and firewall from the exhaust and to wrap my headers. DEI's stuff works great.

Yes, low-end vendors such as JC Whitney may sell thermal insulation, but buyer beware of products with low prices from Chinese sources. They might cost less but they, also, are probably less effective.

When I built my tube-frame Grand Sport, I used Thermo-Tec #14001 aluminized heat barrier (woven ceramic wool with heavy foil facing on one side - Summit has it) and covered the lower half of the firewall and the trans tunnel and underbody back to the rear of the seats; as with any reflective heat barrier, the material is installed on the OUTSIDE of the body, with the foil side toward the heat source. Used 3M Super Trim Adhesive to glue it to the body. Also used Dynamat inside the body to deal with noise and panel drumming. Neither product is cheap, but both are extremely effective when properly installed.

200222815154-4-GSscan5(2).jpg

:beer

"Dynamat" isn't going to do much to insulate from heat because it's primarily an acoustic management product.

What you need is thermal insulation products from a company like Design Engineering Inc.. I've used their products to insulate fuel system parts, insulate floor and firewall from the exhaust and to wrap my headers. DEI's stuff works great.

Yes, low-end vendors such as JC Whitney may sell thermal insulation, but buyer beware of products with low prices from Chinese sources. They might cost less but they, also, are probably less effective.

REPLY: Ive used J.C. Whitneys stuff with good results. Used it under all my carpeting as well as over the Trans tunnel underneath . Held up well. Plus its fireproof.

Reflectix is cheap and effective though there is little sound deadening provided. Some of these other solutions might be better but I wonder if they are worth the multiples of cost.

Front_Carpet_Reflectix.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom