Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fiberglass repairs glass versus mat? where do you get your supplies?

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
After talking to a vendor about fixing my body and painting the car, I have decided, the heck with them, I will tackle this myself! Like so many things on the car, I have never done this before, so it should be quite interesting....

first things first....I need some pointers on technique, books and where to get the supplies for the fiberglass repairs and such. Is there a particular brand that you think is better than others?

I have a crack that runs from the passenger wheel well opening up the side and across the top of the fender. It looks like this as cracked and repaired before.

Since I am not making the car NCRS....actually a long ways from that, I was thinking of putting some reinforcing pieces (C-channel that can be proset in place) that would run the length of the fender. Anyone have thoughts on that?

your comments will be appreciated.....by the way, I decided this after the guy I talked to gave me a quote of $25-30k.....

Some other people suggested hiring someone for 1/2 a day or so and working with them so that I get a good idea of technique and process, which isn't a bad idea and will probably do!

Herb

Herb the easey answer is

Eastwood sells the stuff you want along with ecklers and all of the local auto parts stores by me.

The long answer is, If I was you I would put this problem aside for now. The problem is just not repairing the crack but also repainting the repair.

Your in a funney part of a car build where its easy to get lost,side tracked.

Get the car bak together and driveable then worry about getting it fixed.

We all have heard the horror stories of cars getting lost in a restoration shop for month/years

Herb the easey answer is

Eastwood sells the stuff you want along with ecklers and all of the local auto parts stores by me.

The long answer is, If I was you I would put this problem aside for now. The problem is just not repairing the crack but also repainting the repair.

Your in a funney part of a car build where its easy to get lost,side tracked.

Get the car bak together and driveable then worry about getting it fixed.

We all have heard the horror stories of cars getting lost in a restoration shop for month/years
You are right I am at a funny place in the project....I want the bottom to look almost as good as the top of the car....so I can't really put the body back on until the bottom is taken care of....I also want to do some modifications to the engine bay....I am planning on really changing how the bay looks....it is going to be VERY clean....I am trying to minimize the number of wires that anyone can see....as well as minimizing the number of hoses and such....I also want to clean up both sides of the inner fenders to be as smooth as a babies butt.....the wires for the front headlights and such to be run through "conduit" from the fire wall area to the nose of the car....in other words, I really want this to be clean and put emphasis on the motor....you know the intake I am going to use....I want that to be the focal point.....hence I want every wire that I can hide to be hidden! Smooth the front firewall similar to what you did as well as removing the wiper motor from the engine compartment and putting the mechanicals under the dash....

You get the idea......

Sharon and I both commented again how much we like your car. You have done some really fine work that is really a motivator for me. We also appreciated the time you spend with us. It is good to have you as a friend and on this forum!

thanks again..Herb & Sharon

Thank Herb the fealing is mutual

Smoothing the fire wall will be easey as most of the motor covers the area.

What are you going to do with the excisting heater? remove it and install under dash set up like mine

Wiper system that really cleans things up also BUT man what a pain to install.

Wiring Someday I will relocate my wiring to under the driverside fender area.

Thank Herb the fealing is mutual

Smoothing the fire wall will be easey as most of the motor covers the area.

What are you going to do with the excisting heater? remove it and install under dash set up like mine

Wiper system that really cleans things up also BUT man what a pain to install.

Wiring Someday I will relocate my wiring to under the driverside fender area.
I had a severe brain fart today.....when I have a chance to get creative and think about things...uh oh...look out....I have thought about doing the motor area in carbon fiber...and then I really got out of control and started thinking about doing the under body of the car in carbon fiber....oh man am I out of control now.....but the guy at work knows how to do vacuum bagging and such so I will be discussing with him how difficult it may be or not.....

Here is what aluminized fiberglass looks like
346.jpg

and here is what black (carbon fiber look alike) fiberglass looks like
207.jpg

Stay tuned.....more to follow.....

Also, do you know the difference in using a polyester resin versus an epoxy resin? Pluses and minuses?

Herb

Herb

that is an excellent idea . I dont know how easey it would be to excucute , But would definatley finish off the engine bay nicely
will let you know what I find out....I am not quite sure how we would do the vertical areas....but if anyone would have an idea how to do it, this guy from work would know how.....stay tuned......
Herb

Just curious. On what basis would someone give an estimate of $25,000 to fix a crack in a fender?

Just curious. On what basis would someone give an estimate of $25,000 to fix a crack in a fender?
complete paint job, smooth out engine bay, paint bottom of car to match top of car.....I just don't think he wanted to fuss with me and my car, which is ok, there are other people out there that like the color of green that I have....I am just not going to waste it on them......

Thanks for the clarification.
does that make more sense? Seems to me I am asking about a $10k or so job...am I off on my expectations?

Seems very high to me but I am not an expert and a cheapskate at heart. However, when I was looking for a shop to paint my 1967 I viewed a photo album at one establishment showing the restoration work done several years ago on a BB 1967. There was something like 1,000 hours of labour put into that car. So at say $50.00/hour....(a dentist with money). I later saw the car at a cruise day and it did look very nice. It was for sale. The owner was afraid to drive it.

Seems very high to me but I am not an expert and a cheapskate at heart. However, when I was looking for a shop to paint my 1967 I viewed a photo album at one establishment showing the restoration work done several years ago on a BB 1967. There was something like 1,000 hours of labour put into that car. So at say $50.00/hour....(a dentist with money). I later saw the car at a cruise day and it did look very nice. It was for sale. The owner was afraid to drive it.
yuck.....what fun is a car that you are afraid to drive????????????????????????????

With the quality of driving in this City I can understand his position. I have been out about seven times this year and "close-calls" total four. The last time was a soccer mom who ran a red light and missed me by one second as I passed through the intersection. I saw her run the red in my rear-view mirror. So I sympathize with the dentist. One hit and your C2 is gone for a year.

I always think...."what part of the RED car didn't you see????"

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom