Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shift knob Removal on a 02 6spd

E

ELECTRONJMB

Hi folks, I read the post on having to remove the gear pattern cap and then pull out the key using visegrips.. I tried this and it just snapped off and now the key is flush with the shifter, (nothing to grab), is it time to drill?
Whats the deal with this, I just thought it would be easy to just unscrew and be done with it.. HELP!!:crazy
thanks
Jeff

About all I can say about that is welcome to the CAC!

I used a pair of curved snap ring pliers to remove that key.

Others will certainly come along with a solution for you.

I had the same thing happen to me. I then tried drilling a hole in the remaining key, then used a self tapping sheet metal screw (something to grab on to with vicegrips.....NG! The basemetal is so cheap that it stripped out on the first try (maybe you will be luckier). I bought an aftermarket shift knob anyway (I.E. the attempted removal) so I ended up hacking away at the stock shift knob with a dremmel tool, totally destroying the stock knob. Anyway, the new Momo knob looks and feels great!!

Good Luck,
Dave

It is a pain in the butt for sure! Mine came out with some vice grips gripped to the top of it and working it slowly. I did end up using a small slide hammer and a diesel injector puller that fit it perfectly, both tools we make. Two swings and it came out everytime, very easily.

I then upgraded from a C5 shifter to a C6 which does not have the same knob.

More on shift knob..

Thanks to all for the welcome to the group, this is my first C5 I sold my '67 435 Roadster about 4 months ago, and needed a new toy.. I used to be on the VetteNet years ago.. Nice to see a few familar names such as Hib.. Glad to see he's still in the game.. Now back to my shift knob.. Dremmel tool is my next step as I could care less about the original knob. Did you just hog out the plastic of the knob around the metal key, then unscrew the knob and deal with the key then?? Any advise would be great!
thanks
Jeff

I had the same thing happen to me. I then tried drilling a hole in the remaining key, then used a self tapping sheet metal screw (something to grab on to with vicegrips.....NG! The basemetal is so cheap that it stripped out on the first try (maybe you will be luckier). I bought an aftermarket shift knob anyway (I.E. the attempted removal) so I ended up hacking away at the stock shift knob with a dremmel tool, totally destroying the stock knob. Anyway, the new Momo knob looks and feels great!!

Good Luck,
Dave

Yes, that is exactly what I did. I excavated the plastic around the key. I had to nearly hog through the entire knob to key the remains of the key out. It was installed extremely tight!

Have fun and welcome to the C5 forum.
Dave

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom