Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Update on Project BLOW

Kid_Again

Corvette
65 SB Roadster, 66 BB Coupe
Here are a few pictures from the Vortech kit of the blower and the carb housing.

I've already made some decisions about the installation. If you read the magazine articles about guys who have done a midyear install, they tap the oil supply to the blower from the the oil pressure gauge fitting on the back of the block. Early small blocks such as the 327 do not have a plug in the block for a remote oil filter steup. That, in my opinion, is nowhere near enough of an adequate oil supply.

So, I already bought the required parts from JEGSSUMMIT. First I install an adapter that replaces the oil filter canister which allows the use of a remote oil filter. This is NOT the kit that allows for screw-on oil filters on early small blocks. I had one of those and believe the quality of that piece is very, very low.

I'll run an oil line to a remote oilf filter mount on the frame which has two inlet and outlet ports. I'll tap one of the outlet ports for a direct feed of filtered oil to the blower bearing. The lines for the remote kit are 1/2" and that makes me feel a hell of a lot better than that dinky little hole in the back of the block.

ttfn

Heh Nice looking stuff.

On my 86 Vortech Set up there was an adapter that came with my kit and a SS Flex line . The supply line tapped into the oil filter housing for the blower.

One important note in the Carroll Supercharger manual was that before connecting the blower with a belt to the motor the following test should be done.

The oil supply line that connects to the Supercharger was put into a marked measuring cup and the motor started..... The ammount of oil collected in one min was then checked. I can't remember the amout of oil flow that Vortec Recommended but I would check with them.

So this means you'll need a belt to put on the motor and bypass the SC pulley to do this test... Also you can keep it with you in case you have a problem with the blower to let you get home. Of Course you'll want to carry a spare full connection belt also as I did.

Also.. the oil dump line from the SC in my set up went to a small in line oil filter....(this was really a Bosch fuel filter) ..and then back into the oil pan. This of course prevented metal chips from getting into the Main oil supply from the Blower.

Which also brings you to ...Removing your oil pan to have the oil return line Bung Welded on......

Happy Motoring...:D

I think I'll lie down 'till this passes.:crazy

Well best of luck with it. I am lost what car will this go into.

What a suprise some folks are going to get when you go "whistling by them"

Kid - we ran a 4 stage dry sump system on the Busch car with the remote oil filter set up. Gets it out of the way and becomes very serviceable. We used #12 lines for everything except the line going from the pump to the tank - that was a #16 - BIG BOY! We liked to flow lots of oil, first through a fine mesh screen filter then to the tank then to the paper filter then the cooler and finally back to the engine. I don't know if any of this helps but the remote mount had several outlets to use.

Steve

Hey guys, thanks for the posts.

Larry..it's going on the '65 sb roadster. It has the '67 bb hood so clearance SHOULD NOT be a problem but I do have the L88 cold air box grafted onto the underside so that will have to ground away. On the chance that I still need hood clearance, I will go with a lower profile Torker2 single plane manifold.

4WDVETTE....That's pretty much waht I want to do with the oil line setup but VNV is talking me out of that. He has a very good point about having all that additional spaghetti added under the hood but I'm kinda' leaning towards having a WHOLE LOT OF OIL going straight to the supercharger bearing. Luckily, it won't be as demanding as a turbo.

Larry, BTW, I added a centrifugal supercharger which I believe will not whine.

Also, as un update, the Vortech kit comes complete with a conical K&N air filter and dontcha' know that the existing FI hole in my radiator support allows most of the filter to fit through. Cold air is what I need. All I have to do is fab a bracket.

See you at Carlisle!

Larry, BTW, I added a centrifugal supercharger which I believe will not whine.
Oh..you are so wrong.....Can yo say...Jet Engine sound at around 3000 RPM..??:rotfl

No kiddin?? OK, didn't know about the whine. Cool. Now I have to figure out which bling I put on the hood and the sides. Right now the BB hood sports the VERY correct 327 emblem and the side has the stock flags. (It's a little known fact that only ONE bb hood left the factory with the 327 emblem and I HAVE IT!!! Watch for it soon on ebay.) I DO have a set of NOS FI emblems for the side and it may be time to put those on. Keep 'em guessing. :confused

HOWEVER. There's that little issue of my swapping out the stock sidepipes for a set of Sweet Thunders. Radio, what radio?

AWESOME!!!!!!! keep the photos coming

Spoke to JohnZ and Stepinwolf at dinner at Carlisle and they gave me sound advice. They absolutely recommended that I NOT put a blower on my current setup. Suggested that I go with new forged pistons and forged rods, probably redo the bottom end.

Sound advice. You do NOT want to disagree with these two guys.

HOWEVER.

Having never been encumbered by the thought process, I'm going ahead with my project. They will have EVERY right to say I TOLD YOU SO.

What the heck, you can't take it with you and my son couldn't figure out how to spend his inheritance anyway. If this puppy blows...572 time.

Picked up loads of tips from the 572 midyear owner at Carlisle. WHAT a nice guy.

Stay tuned.

was lookin to meet you at Carlisle but somehow our paths never crossed. If something blows you can always go bigger and stronger ;LOL

Spoke to JohnZ and Stepinwolf at dinner at Carlisle and they gave me sound advice. They absolutely recommended that I NOT put a blower on my current setup. Suggested that I go with new forged pistons and forged rods, probably redo the bottom end.

Sound advice. You do NOT want to disagree with these two guys.

HOWEVER.

Having never been encumbered by the thought process, I'm going ahead with my project. They will have EVERY right to say I TOLD YOU SO.

What the heck, you can't take it with you and my son couldn't figure out how to spend his inheritance anyway. If this puppy blows...572 time.

Picked up loads of tips from the 572 midyear owner at Carlisle. WHAT a nice guy.

Stay tuned.

Hic...@$#%&(*&^ ...WTF.......HIC*%#@*&^%..It's Your Vette do ..HIC.. What you Want..Hic...#@$%$:drink

was lookin to meet you at Carlisle but somehow our paths never crossed. If something blows you can always go bigger and stronger ;LOL

Heh What was the complete name of that Acid Cigar you gave me...something "Natural"..??? That was Good..... I think I'll order some.

Heh What was the complete name of that Acid Cigar you gave me...something "Natural"..??? That was Good..... I think I'll order some.

dirt maybe if you start smoking those I'll be able to find some Kuba Kuba's ;LOL I have not found any cigars from Drew Estate that are bad

dirt maybe if you start smoking those I'll be able to find some Kuba Kuba's ;LOL I have not found any cigars from Drew Estate that are bad

OK what kind of answer is Dirt..????? WTF is the Name...
Natural...???? What is the complete name....:L

OK what kind of answer is Dirt..????? WTF is the Name...
Natural...???? What is the complete name....:L

from the box:
Natural
drew estate
dirt
4x43

natural being the series of stogie
drew estate being the maker
dirt is the name
4x43 is the size

Acid is a line of cigars made by Drew Estate, Natural is another line

just call black cat and tell em you want dirt ;)

from the box:
Natural
drew estate
dirt
4x43

natural being the series of stogie
drew estate being the maker
dirt is the name
4x43 is the size

Acid is a line of cigars made by Drew Estate, Natural is another line

just call black cat and tell em you want dirt ;)

Ok.. So.. I want Natural ..Dirt...:L

Now that's in the Blue Line... correct.??

bossvette...sorry I missed you!

i spent most of my time at the Canadian Consulate learning how to properly slap my forehead when i say "eh?" :duh

Hey Mark, did you see my post about getting the car to the shore? Check out the continuing electrical saga.

Lemme know if you want to come over this weekend. No vette, I'm sure, since it's supposed to rain like hell. But lemme know.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom