Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Water Wetter

04cmnthru

Corvette
2014 C7 Coupe
Ran a forum search on Water Wetter. A few posts but they are somewhat dated and I was looking for maybe some newer information.

Is anyone that is using this product seeing any significant difference in operating temperatures? Also, I am wondering if this is compatible with Dex
Cool given all of the recent blogging over problems alleged to be the result of DexCool and the class action suit. Thanks

:pat

To be honest, I don't know anyone using Water Wetter, either. So I'm as curious as your are, 04CmnThru, to learn some observations of those who are using it.

:w
-Patrick

I use it in all my cars. When I first started using it, I paid attention to the temps and noted a difference of 2-6 degrees lower temps afterward - given similar outside air temps and driving conditions.
I still use it but I haven't quantified any changes since my first tests with it several years ago.

I had a 67 BB Coupe, I had a rebuilt the 402 in it and bored it .090 over. I also had the radiator recored at the same time. When I got it running the temp would slowly creep up until it over heated. I went back to the radiator shop, and they had one of those laser thermometers. He pointed it at the output of the radiator and it was reading around 205, He put the Water Wetter in and the temp droped to 193, The car still slowly ovr heated( turned out the head gaskets I got from the machine shop were for a marine engine). But I use the Watter Wetter in everything I have now.

Bradleywrench13 said:
...He pointed it at the output of the radiator and it was reading around 205, He put the Water Wetter in and the temp droped to 193...

Wow- more than a 10 degree difference. That's impressive. I may have to investigate this stuff a bit more. Off to find the Wetter Water Website on the World Wide Web...

:w
-Patrick

I put one bottle in mine at the beginning of summer. I noticed a drop of ~5-8F I have read that 2 bottles are recommended for the C5, I think that was in Mid America's catalog.

Red Line Water Wetter uses a corrosion inhibiter package which is very similar to what's in DexCool, ie: it's calcium-based "organic acid technology" (OAT) rather than silicate-based.

DexCool is a good coolant choice for Corvettes provided it's mixed between 50/50 and 30/70 with water. A lot of what you read on the blogosphere about DexCool has to do with vehicles other than Corvettes and with vehicles which may have not been maintained properly. Also, some of what you read gets momentum from attornies representing defendants in class action suits who have a vested interest in getting as many people as possible to join their classes.

The one claim you should ignore is that DexCool can be run to 50,000 or more miles between coolant changes.

If you use DexCool 50/50 change it at 4 yrs or 48,000 mi. which ever comes first. If you use a low/no antifreeze coolant, you must use Water Wetter and change the coolant at 2 yrs/24,000 miles.

If you use a 50/50 mix of antifreeze with silicate-based inhibiters, change coolant at 3/36,000.

Since DexCool was introduced in 1996, when I use antifreeze in coolant, DexCool is my choice.

Red Line Water Wetter uses a corrosion inhibiter package which is very similar to what's in DexCool, ie: it's calcium-based "organic acid technology" (OAT) rather than silicate-based.

DexCool is a good coolant choice for Corvettes provided it's mixed between 50/50 and 30/70 with water. A lot of what you read on the blogosphere about DexCool has to do with vehicles other than Corvettes and with vehicles which may have not been maintained properly. Also, some of what you read gets momentum from attornies representing defendants in class action suits who have a vested interest in getting as many people as possible to join their classes.

The one claim you should ignore is that DexCool can be run to 50,000 or more miles between coolant changes.

If you use DexCool 50/50 change it at 4 yrs or 48,000 mi. which ever comes first. If you use a low/no antifreeze coolant, you must use Water Wetter and change the coolant at 2 yrs/24,000 miles.

If you use a 50/50 mix of antifreeze with silicate-based inhibiters, change coolant at 3/36,000.

Since DexCool was introduced in 1996, when I use antifreeze in coolant, DexCool is my choice.

Agreed. The only thing that I might add is to use distilled water when changing any coolant.

Ah, but does anyone run the Water Wetter in the winter (for those of you that have winters) or do you change youur fluid for each season. I am just about to 36k on my 04 and thinking about changing all the fluids.

I use Water Wetter as well. I have noticed a good 10-15 degree reduction in operating temps. I have 2 bottles in my Corvette and never saw above 170 degrees all the way to BG and back for the Cruisefest (through Kansas, etc.). I also run a Robert Shaw 180 degree high-flow thermostat, and I added a big trans cooler that I spaced 1" off my radiator using those expandable freeze plugs and removing the bolt and washers (I'm running a B&M Holeshot 2400 stall).

I found WW at AutoZone, $7 for about 8 oz., as I recall.

I can't advise regarding winter use of WW, but if I want my car to run warmer in the winter (for heat/defrost), I put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator. The 'Vette is parked in Winter.

Rick
:gap

Water Wetter is waterpump lube.
the reducing temps claim is pure BS

the reducing temps claim is pure BS[/quote]

I have to disagree. With no other changes to my cooling system, and only adding WW, I noticed a 10 degree drop in my Corvette traveling through Wyoming in August of 2003.

After installing a 383, Edelbrock water pump, trans cooler, and fresh coolant with WW, it was 15 degrees lower-through Kansas in June 2005 (Cruisefest).

I installed a new temp sender shortly after getting the car in 2003-I am confident it is accurate. I am well aware that "a fool and his money are soon parted", however, I will continue to purchase Water Wetter for my vehicles that see usage in 100 degree temperatures-I am that confident, and I have proven it for myself in multiple vehicles.

Rick

Do you just add it to the coolant overflow tank (after taking out some of the DexCool)?

Do you just add it to the coolant overflow tank (after taking out some of the DexCool)?

Adding it to the overflow tank does not ensure it gets into the engine cooling system. I suggest you remove the radiator cap, get a turkey baster and suck some of the coolant out, add the Water Wetter, install the cap.

The coolant you pulled out of the radiator can go into the overflow tank.

I usually use two bottles of the Water Wetter.

Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom