Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Point of No Return, Winter Project Has Begun

fine69

Corvette
'69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport
Not really anticipated to this degree, but after removing a little here... and a little there, I now have my entire interior, dash, and windows stripped out.
I can't really turn back now, so "the mistress" is parked for the winter.

A tall order, but here's what I hope to accomplish:
  • Clean everything;
  • Replace that old, dusty heat insulation;
  • Replace vacuum hoses and get headlights to function properly;
  • Get the interior lights to function (incl fiber optics);
  • Replace speedo and tach;
  • Get all gauges to function properly;
  • Get the air vents to function properly;
  • Replace (or repair?), top and lower left dash;
  • Replace (or repair?), top and left windshield pillars;
  • Replace seat foam and covers;
  • Replace windshield;
  • Repair or re-chrome windshield header;
  • Replace weather stripping;
  • Install radio and speakers (run new speaker wires);
  • Replace heater core;
  • Replace heater control.
In looking over this list, it may be a bit ambitious and unrealistic considering life's other priorities.

I have to keep reminding myself: "It's a project... no rush.... It's a project... no rush.... It's a project... no rush...."

:w

Not really anticipated to this degree, but after removing a little here... and a little there, I now have my entire interior, dash, and windows stripped out.

;LOL I now the feeling well.
Last winter all I wanted to do was remove and clean up my valve covers and intake manifold on my '65. Than I looked at the exhaust manifolds and figured while i was at it......... than I looked at another part and figured the same thing, than another part, etc.

from initially planning on just the valve covers and intake in about 2 days my car looked like this:

65enginebay1.jpg

65enginebay2.jpg

the disease is called "whileyouareatityoumightaswellas" and it's very dangerous!
;LOL

Oh hell, now you have me thinking about my plans.:eyerole

Here we had decided to keep the '76 at home, instead of in storage, so I could work on it over the winter......the same kinda things fine 69 described.

Looks like this may snowball on me.

I will try to avoid 'whileyouareatityoumightaswellas' :beer

uh, I am no mechanic, but you may be missing a car there:L
...that happens to alot of vettes when ya go to fast... rips the bady and other stuff right off! Your driving and the next thing you kno is that your sittin on a chassis holding a steering wheel..:D
zachh

Now THAT's creepy........I have just enough room to do that if I wanted to.

Only thing that may save me is if I try to take over both sides of the garage all winter..........think I can convince my wife that scraping snow/ice is good for you?

I can't really turn back now, so "the mistress" is parked for the winter. I have to keep reminding myself: "It's a project... no rush.... It's a project... no rush.... It's a project... no rush...."
Ralph:
Go get yourself a qt of "StaBil" fuel stabilizer from the local discount store. Double-dose remaining fuel in tank ... and try & crank it & get treated fuel into bowl. Your carb will appreciate it & will act appropriately come springtime. Treat any mowers/trimmers etc while you're at it.

I just bought a 68 Vert for a project, I don't know how much I will take it apart this winter yet depends on the cash flow:L

Well it looks like your heading in proper direction you actually have a list of your goals

This tho might be a problem

I have to keep reminding myself: "It's a project... no rush.... It's a project... no rush.... It's a project... no rush...."

Make a material list,get it ordered and start getting it done before you know it April will be here and you have a car in pieces

happened to me more then once

Best of luck with it

Ralph:
Go get yourself a qt of "StaBil" fuel stabilizer from the local discount store. Double-dose remaining fuel in tank ... and try & crank it & get treated fuel into bowl. Your carb will appreciate it & will act appropriately come springtime. Treat any mowers/trimmers etc while you're at it.

Jack,

Great advice, Thanks. When I did phase 1 part of this project (engine, tranny, front end, steering, suspension, brakes)... the mistress sat for almost 8 months. When I got the rebuilt engine started, the carburetor was left wirh a gummy residue. I ended up using a couple cans of Seafoam to get it straight.

Ralph

Well it looks like your heading in proper direction you actually have a list of your goals

This tho might be a problem

Make a material list,get it ordered and start getting it done before you know it April will be here and you have a car in pieces

happened to me more then once

Best of luck with it

Thanks... getting on it now. Parts have been and will continue to be ordered. I'm expecting my first package from Corvette Central this week.

Sometimes the turn-around point is the funding limitation, but in my case, reaching the 1/2 way point on the return leg is the reason why I stopped getting deeper into the project. It has been over a year since I last drove Gail, and to me, that is what I miss the most. So I felt that the engine was finally good to go, and I resisted ideas to remove the body off the frame.

I should be able to get her running by the end of September, and that is a moment not too soon.

GerryLP:cool

Ralph,
good luck with it. Hopefully, at some point i can get to that point too..

I guess the tip with taking pics before you take it apart is a bit late? :L

:w
-Stefan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom