Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Coolant Leak!!

Corvette
1987 Z52 Black Convertible
Out with a few friends for a while tonight, when I see the low coolant light come on. I make a left turn then it goes off for a couple minutes then comes back on. Well I was close to my buddies house so I just drove it till I got there coolant temps were real low (165ish). Well when I get there and stoped I start to hear the belt squeling. Well when I open the hood I see from the TB down nothing but coolant spread all over.

Well after close observation and removing the TB duct from the MAF. I find that the one fitted curved house for the TB has a nice half inche slit in it. So I call the bro, tell him to bring me some duct tape and some coolant, and I limped the car back home, temps were still low around 175-185, So I am not to worried about anything bad. I checked the oil and it was fine. Oh well, I can't complain it is a 20 year old coolant line though to my knowledge.

Out with a few friends for a while tonight, when I see the low coolant light come on. I make a left turn then it goes off for a couple minutes then comes back on. Well I was close to my buddies house so I just drove it till I got there coolant temps were real low (165ish). Well when I get there and stoped I start to hear the belt squeling. Well when I open the hood I see from the TB down nothing but coolant spread all over.

Well after close observation and removing the TB duct from the MAF. I find that the one fitted curved house for the TB has a nice half inche slit in it. So I call the bro, tell him to bring me some duct tape and some coolant, and I limped the car back home, temps were still low around 175-185, So I am not to worried about anything bad. I checked the oil and it was fine. Oh well, I can't complain it is a 20 year old coolant line though to my knowledge.

Great time to do a TB bypass!

Actually I did one. I should have been more specific about the hose. It was actually the curved house coming out of the intake that is supposed to go into the TB then out on the passenger side. Since I couldn't get a long fitted hose to make the curve I just spliced that shorter hose, and a longer one together. I hope that Autozone has a fitted hose that that I can use to splice it back in or else I am not sure what I am going to do...

Actually I did one. I should have been more specific about the hose. It was actually the curved house coming out of the intake that is supposed to go into the TB then out on the passenger side. Since I couldn't get a long fitted hose to make the curve I just spliced that shorter hose, and a longer one together. I hope that Autozone has a fitted hose that that I can use to splice it back in or else I am not sure what I am going to do...

Seems weird they wouldn't have a long hose that fits which you could cut to ideal length. Hope you get your part.

Seems weird they wouldn't have a long hose that fits which you could cut to ideal length. Hope you get your part.

They had hose long enough, but i couldn't get it to curve out and go back into the other hose that goes into the heater core I think. If I took the straight hose and tried to make the bend with it, I couldn't get it to keep form and it just collapsed.

They had hose long enough, but i couldn't get it to curve out and go back into the other hose that goes into the heater core I think. If I took the straight hose and tried to make the bend with it, I couldn't get it to keep form and it just collapsed.

I hear you there - managed to get mine to work with a long straight hose, but it went on a bit of a long journey to minimize the curve and prevent collapsing.

I hear you there - managed to get mine to work with a long straight hose, but it went on a bit of a long journey to minimize the curve and prevent collapsing.

Yeah I don't know what exactly I'll do. Tomorrow before I have to go to class I want to spray the motor down and get all the coolant off of everything. Hopefully I can get it fixed on Tuesday after I get out of class, since it is my only day off of work.

Yeah I don't know what exactly I'll do. Tomorrow before I have to go to class I want to spray the motor down and get all the coolant off of everything. Hopefully I can get it fixed on Tuesday after I get out of class, since it is my only day off of work.

Happy to take a pic of mine if it can be of help.

Well I went to AutoZone today and to my suprise they had a hoze that was a very close match to the one that split. Purchased it put it back on and completely flushed the coolant system and added new, and I am back on the road now.

Just for kicks what is the capacity that should be in the C4 cooling system? I have the heavy duty radiator etc etc, but I could only get a little less then 2 gallons in the system.

Well I went to AutoZone today and to my suprise they had a hoze that was a very close match to the one that split. Purchased it put it back on and completely flushed the coolant system and added new, and I am back on the road now.

Just for kicks what is the capacity that should be in the C4 cooling system? I have the heavy duty radiator etc etc, but I could only get a little less then 2 gallons in the system.

I believe it's about 2.5 gallons...

I replaced all the heater hoses in my '84. Had to buy new hose lengths that had different angle bends built in, then cut the ends to matching length. It worked great, but you have to take the old hoses into the store with you to make the matches right and also use them as templates for length cuts. But it's worth it ... well worth the effort.

I just opened the petcock on the bottom of the radiator, so I guess there could have been some water left in the engine. Oh well, it is close enough for me.

When I did my bypass, I used a plastic 90 made for heater hoses. Keeps the run short and out of sight.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom