Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

spark plug replacement

hdkeno

Corvette
2005 Victory Red coupe
Anyone know the best way to change the spark plugs on a 1981 L81?

On my stock L81 it looks like a real bear to do,and I would think you would have to get most if not all of them from underneath,and or remove a wheel or 2.

My Silverado 2500 was a piece of cake compared to this.

As always,thanks in advance. Ken

I have yet to even look at mine, but what I've been told is 'front two from the top, back two from the bottom' My mom had a 73 when I was a kid and my dad got to do a lot of stuff to it, I remember hearing a whole lot of complaining after the spark plug experience!

Craig

I did mine last year and yes they are a bear!!!!!some went in from the top, and some went in from the bottom.....I just dont remeber which ones, but I did have to put the vette on jack stands to do it,
Just one piece of advice,change them when you HAVE to do an oil change then its up in the air anyway,also If you have intentions of changing the spark plug wires,that would be a good time to do that as well!!!!

good luck!!!!

It's not going to be easy. But please consider these preparatory steps:

1) Take it one step at-a-time.
2) Raise the vehicle.
3) Don't rush the job. Drive another vehicle while working on this (if possible). If not, then do this semi-project though a long week-end.
4) Replace spark plugs and ignition wires. The #1, #2, #3, and #4 wires must be routed first (to include their location behind the engine mounts), and then finished with their respective terminals at the spark plug.

The right-rear shield requires the starter to be removed. Ouch, I know! But that funky shield that wraps around the oil dipstick can only be accessed that way. Consider removing the front "Y" pipe before attempting. You'll be glad you did. View attachment 11239

The right-front shield is tricky, and requires patience. The plastic duct for the right air cleaner snorkel should be removed to make things more visible and accessible. The bolt that holds the shield is aligned with the top of the engine mount. View attachment 11240

The left-rear shield is the easiest. You're right! From the bottom of the Vette. The oxygen sensor connector gets attached to this shield, so be careful detaching it.

The left-front is the same way as the right-front. Bolt at the edge of the engine mount; however, you'll have to contend with the alternator. So perhaps it would be easier to remove the alternator w/ the bracket at the same time (off the front of the cylinder head).

For the wires, there is a clip at the oil pan for both sides where the front two cylinder wires on either side get held in place. Yes! Below the "V" shield.

Unless you want to go through this pain again, replace the ignition wires. As a said before, route the #1 and #3 wires down from the rear wire support, to the clip at the oil pan, and up behind the engine mounts. This is why you should not trim, cut, and finish the terminals at those cylinder locations before routing. View attachment 11242
View attachment 11243

GerryLP:cool

p.s. I have some other photos in my share website, These could help you in identifying things. http://l81power.spaces.live.com/?lc=1033

Wow, I am just going to pay my mechanic, I would not have the patience for just putting in spark plugs.
Anyone know the best way to change the spark plugs on a 1981 L81?

On my stock L81 it looks like a real bear to do,and I would think you would have to get most if not all of them from underneath,and or remove a wheel or 2.

My Silverado 2500 was a piece of cake compared to this.

As always,thanks in advance. Ken

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom