Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

(Callaway Production) Which came first?? The 86-SE or 87-001?

C

ccmsales

With 20 years in mind... Can you tell us the delivery date of the 1st purchased Callaway Twin Turbo? We definitely want to celebrate (if electronically) the company and the people who have made history and brought us the thrill and excitement of driving and admiring such "powerfully engineered" cars.

-Luigi
:cool

Luigi, I was fortunate enough to see the first Callaway made (the 86 Malcolm Conner car). I saw it in Farmington Hills, MI in 1994 or so. At the time it was owned by a guy named Matthew Williams who owned a Car Sales organization named Matthews Motorcars, Inc. He told me at the time he would sell it for $250,000. I later (around 1988) saw the car for sale in Auto Week for $88,000. Boy I wish I had the cash at that time to buy it. Not sure where it is now. I do know the VIN is 1G1YY0780G5108048.

Regards,
Bob

I do not believe the malcom conner car was first. It was in fact the only 1986 car converted. Car #1 is in the National Corvette Musuem. I saw it there a month and a half ago.

I do not believe the malcom conner car was first. It was in fact the only 1986 car converted. Car #1 is in the National Corvette Musuem. I saw it there a month and a half ago.

In the 1986 section on Malcolm Konner cars, Mike Antonicks Black Book states "One became the first Callaway twin turbo engine conversion". The story goes that it was Reeves or Callaway Corporate's car for a while, so it may not have been the first one sold to the public, but I am reasonably sure it was the first one built.

Bob

Guys, I split the thread from the original "event" thread in an effort to keep that one on track, while providing a greater opportunity to explore this VERY interesting question.

...FWIW, the car was delivered with BBS mesh rims - I have some original ads / articles from back then with the car and its release (MK SE Callaway) - there was supposed to be more than one ;)

Bob/Luigi, while the 86 was somewhat different from production cars, its ship date was actually two weeks after the first 87 went out the door. Strange, but true. :beer

Callaway4fun - it is indeed good to see 87-001 out on the floor at the NCM :cool

Here is an article from Sports Car Market, 1999:

9909_usa-mp.jpg

1986 Callaway Twin-Turbo Corvette Coupe
This car is one of 50 Malcolm Konner Special Edition Corvettes built by Chevrolet in honor of Malcolm Konner's retirement from his New Jersey Chevrolet dealership.
Chassis #: I GI YY0780G5 108048
In 1985, Chevrolet sought a high-performance option to bridge the gap caused by delays in introducing the all-aluminum twin-cam ZR1 engine.

Corvette chief engineer Dave McLellan had tried one of the 150+hp Alfa Romeo Callaway Twin Turbo GTV-6s and called Reeves Callaway to see if Reeves could create a turbocharged Corvette. Knowing that "the call" from GM doesn't come often, Callaway jumped at the chance and quickly developed a twin-turbo package that provided stupendous performance yet met emissions standards. Corvette Engineering blessed it, and it was approved for the 1987 model year as Regular Production Option B2K, the only time in Chevrolet history when a high-performance Corvette was actually produced as an RPO by an outside firm, and warranted by Chevrolet. Built in batches of five cars, this 1986 model was one of the first group of cars produced by Callaway. After a 200-mile test and shakedown drive at Callaway, it was delivered to Konner Chevrolet on October 6, 1986. As far as it is known, this is the only 1986 model year Callaway Twin Turbo built.

86-001 was delivered to its first owner in October 1986 and was purchased by the present owner in 1992 with only 8,810 miles. After a trip to Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, it has been carefully stored since and has only 9,500 miles on the odometer.

Only one person can own a complete collection of Callaways because the collection starts with this car. In a brief review of Callaway prices, a Sledgehammer was reportedly sold for $400,000; one of ten '91 Callaway Speedsters sold for a reported $150,000.

Featured at Bloomington Gold in 1993 and Chip's Choice at Corvettes at Carlisle in 1996, this unique 1986 Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette comes with extensive documentation from new.

The SCM Analysis
The high bid for this car at the Mecum auction at Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin in July, 1999 was $80,000.

first prod. TT's???

Luigi, I was fortunate enough to see the first Callaway made (the 86 Malcolm Conner car). I saw it in Farmington Hills, MI in 1994 or so. At the time it was owned by a guy named Matthew Williams who owned a Car Sales organization named Matthews Motorcars, Inc. He told me at the time he would sell it for $250,000. I later (around 1988) saw the car for sale in Auto Week for $88,000. Boy I wish I had the cash at that time to buy it. Not sure where it is now. I do know the VIN is 1G1YY0780G5108048.

Regards,
Bob

The earlyist documentation of engines and their assigned VIN # that I have shows that car was commissioned 2/5/87 with last 4 digits of VIN being 2617.

There were - I'm sure - a few produced before this date, but this is as far back as my records go.

The earliest entry for a vehicle/engine commissioned is 12-16-86, but doesn't include an engine # or VIN#.

Steve Batch

The earlyist documentation of engines and their assigned VIN # that I have shows that car was commissioned 2/5/87 with last 4 digits of VIN being 2617.

There were - I'm sure - a few produced before this date, but this is as far back as my records go.

The earliest entry for a vehicle/engine commissioned is 12-16-86, but doesn't include an engine # or VIN#.

Steve Batch

Steve, the earliest car was shipped in Sept. 1986 to its new owner with another one following a few weeks later in October 1986.
I hope this helps :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom