Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Manual tranny oil leak

The73vetteman

Corvette
'73 L48 4spd
My M20 leaks oil from the plate on the left where the shaft enters the case. Not a problem when it's low on oil, but when I fill it I then find oil all over the garage floor... ;)

I've seen somewhere a kit to replace the seals around this shaft, but my question is, how big a job is this? Can I do it with the trans in the car or do I need to remove it?

BTW, one reason for the leak is that one of the securing bolts has been sheared off (Bubba had much fun with my car!) so I need to remove the threaded section from its mating hole. Any of you mechanics out there think I can do this without dropping the whole box?

Be purdy Tough Man!!:upthumbs

You might try taking the plate off and see if you have any bolt still sticking out and grab on to it witha pair of vise grip pliers, if not , its time to pull the transmission. That is not as bad as if you had an automatic trans. Besides, it sound like you might have someone go completely thru the transmission to check out everything else. Shifting good?? No scratching between gears etc?? Maybe BUBBA put some molasses in thee to help it shift.

You might try taking the plate off and see if you have any bolt still sticking out and grab on to it witha pair of vise grip pliers, if not , its time to pull the transmission. That is not as bad as if you had an automatic trans. Besides, it sound like you might have someone go completely thru the transmission to check out everything else. Shifting good?? No scratching between gears etc?? Maybe BUBBA put some molasses in thee to help it shift.
I don't think you can get the plate off in the car there's not enough room to clear the shifting forks!!:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom