Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Full exhaust change

Stallion

Corvette
1996 CE LT4
I'm just trying to get a monetary estimate here, on how much I would be looking at to replace the full stock exhaust (exhaust manifolds to tailpipes) with something that is non-stock.

I'm looking for headers, and then the rest of the exhaust system. Not really sure what I'm looking for post-headers (haven't done too much research on the subject yet), but I just want to know what kind of money I'm getting myself into here. $800? $1800? $2800?

By the way, 1996 CE, and I'm looking for absolute bolt-on exhaust headers back. Not really wanting to modify or fab.

Thanks!

Hey Stallion,

No input on your question, just wanted to say congrats on the 96 CE! I guess I wasn't paying attention, don't recall you miving into a C4. Very cool!

- Eric:w

I'm just trying to get a monetary estimate here, on how much I would be looking at to replace the full stock exhaust (exhaust manifolds to tailpipes) with something that is non-stock.

I'm looking for headers, and then the rest of the exhaust system. Not really sure what I'm looking for post-headers (haven't done too much research on the subject yet), but I just want to know what kind of money I'm getting myself into here. $800? $1800? $2800?

By the way, 1996 CE, and I'm looking for absolute bolt-on exhaust headers back. Not really wanting to modify or fab.

Thanks!

try this link, they make a nice system but you may need to call for a price.

http//www.melroseheaders.com/products/smooth_flow_exhaust_systems/c-4.php"]http://www.melroseheaders.com/products/smooth_flow_exhaust_systems/c-4.php[/URL]

try this link, they make a nice system but you may need to call for a price.

http//www.melroseheaders.com/products/smooth_flow_exhaust_systems/c-4.php"]http://www.melroseheaders.com/products/smooth_flow_exhaust_systems/c-4.php[/url]

I emailed them and they said that system will start at $1600. That's about $600 more then I was expecting to spend. I'm not looking for top-notch parts (she is a daily driver). I'm just looking for some headers, and pipes that won't hold back too much sound.

Am I unrealistic?

I emailed them and they said that system will start at $1600. That's about $600 more then I was expecting to spend. I'm not looking for top-notch parts (she is a daily driver). I'm just looking for some headers, and pipes that won't hold back too much sound.

Am I unrealistic?

Yes, I think you're unrealistic to spend $1,000 for a full exhaust system. Headers themselves would be $700. A catback would be at least $300 so there goes $1,000 right there. And that's not even counting the cat or anything else that is needed.

I think just because they aren't full tube headers doesn't mean you can't classify them as headers. They are shorty pipes. And it's not so much power I'm looking for, but the "header sound".

A good quality (stainless steel) cat back can be $1000! I gave $900 for my Corsa (cat back). Are you going to do the install yourself? I'm with Edmond, those aren't much more than smoothed out exhaust manifolds.

I have to agree. If you are going to go through the trouble you really should go with Long Tubes. There in lies the problem ... they don't match up to the rest of the factory stuff. There is some degree of customization just to make it work. I did my exhaust and it was around $900. LT -> Y -> Borla XR1 -> fabbed Y turn downs, all 3". It sounds much like the factory LT4 at idle. It's a little louder I think, my GF thinks its quieter. When you get on it though its pretty loud.

:w

I have to agree. If you are going to go through the trouble you really should go with Long Tubes. There in lies the problem ... they don't match up to the rest of the factory stuff. There is some degree of customization just to make it work. I did my exhaust and it was around $900. LT -> Y -> Borla XR1 -> fabbed Y turn downs, all 3". It sounds much like the factory LT4 at idle. It's a little louder I think, my GF thinks its quieter. When you get on it though its pretty loud.

Hrtbeat1, when you get on it though she really screams? That's ultimately what I'm looking for. My LT4 puts out great power for me, so it's not the "free flow" of wide-open exhaust that I'm looking for (though, that will be nice obviously), but I want her to roar when I get on her.

So you have you whole system at $900??? That's what I'm looking for. Do you have specifications on each part of the system? I would like to go with something similar, especially if you used full-sized headers.

Thanks!

Cold hard facts...

Am I unrealistic?

Any "bolt on" true dual system including longtubes will cost that at a minimum.

Using a "budget" header will cost more in labor time and cutting/fabricating is involved. most shops won't touch this kind of work, and the ones that will aren't cheap. Assuming you want to delete the cats (a major no no and no reputable shop will touch the job, mine included), you're going to have to have pipes bent up.

Cost is the reason most people don't do longtubes, unless they can do the job themselves (most forum guys can't, with some exceptions).

Have you checked into the muffler eliminators? With the free flow of the factory exhaust, just taking out the mufflers might give you the sound you are looking for. The LT4 resonator acts like a modified X-pipe, doing much the same as my Borla, my exhaust is just much shorter. MidAmerica of Ecklers should have them, couldn't tell you a price, but its too much for a piece of straight pipe if you ask me. The $900s is a rough guestimate, basically parts. I did all the labor, you just have to figure how much you want to do.

Have you checked into the muffler eliminators? With the free flow of the factory exhaust, just taking out the mufflers might give you the sound you are looking for. The LT4 resonator acts like a modified X-pipe, doing much the same as my Borla, my exhaust is just much shorter. MidAmerica of Ecklers should have them, couldn't tell you a price, but its too much for a piece of straight pipe if you ask me. The $900s is a rough guestimate, basically parts. I did all the labor, you just have to figure how much you want to do.

I think that's good advice, I'm going to go with the muffler eliminator and see if that's the sound that I'm looking for. It's the cheaper and easier method.

Just one question, why are the muffler eliminators( http://www.madvet.com/shop?part=3.6755.618966 ) $200?? It seems like it's just some pipe..?

If you click on that link that I posted, it says that for the late C4s there needs to be a little modification (pipe cutting??). I have searched but to no avail have I found some muffler eliminators that just bolt right on. Is that too much to ask? Suggestions?

Because the pipe bolts to a Corvette!

Very true. When they hear Corvette, the $$$ signs pop up.

Actually, if you're not going to mess with the cats, ask at the local exhaust shops. They might be able to do it for less. In fact, I've read numerous stories of how local exhaust shops have eliminated the resonators for the LTx cars. They shouldn't have a problem with it since it's not an emissions part.

What system did you get for $900 ?

If you are reffering to me I bought the LT1 Corsa system for less than $900 a year or so ago (8/05) through a group purchase.

I agree with everyone saying to go with the LT headers. When I took my original manifolds off they are basically a shorty header. If you are going to go through the trouble of wanting better sound, then get LT's. I LOVE the way my car sounds with the TPIS headers I bought.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom