Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question for 88 and 89 owners re:center caps

racsluos

Corvette
1987 Gold Coupe
Hey all 1988 and 1989 owners with 17" stock rims,

The center caps on your wheels are quite valuable...have any of you had yours stolen? Are they very easy to remove? I own an 87 and would like to go to the 88/89 wheel to get 17s while preserving my 'stock' status as per the insurance rules here, but I'm a little concerned considering the crazy $$$ these center caps go for.

thanks

-A.

they come w/ a mcguard lock for each - never had any issues in 17 years.

...besides, they are only good for 88/89 Vettes ;)

You could always get 90 wheels. look the same without the center caps.

Glenn
:w

I've never had a problem with my 88. I guess because of the lock. But good luck finding any decent ones on eBay. I look every couple of days on the chance of getting another set to refinish but no luck. I also have noticed that the major Corvette parts houses (Ecklers, MAD, etc.) don't carry them anymore.

Good luck with your search.

Ron
"Baldie88"

There's a gorgeous set on ebay right now, caps and wheels but no lock+tool. Might go for those if I can scrounge the cash, but I just bought mufflers and mats and plenum and dynamat stuff so might postpone the 88 wheel purchase til next year.

cheers

I've never had a problem with my 88. I guess because of the lock. But good luck finding any decent ones on eBay. I look every couple of days on the chance of getting another set to refinish but no luck. I also have noticed that the major Corvette parts houses (Ecklers, MAD, etc.) don't carry them anymore.

Good luck with your search.

Ron
"Baldie88"

You can find used sets of four with center caps, lock key and bolts from about $150 to $400+. Usually the more you spend the better the set. If you really want nice looking wheels the most economical way may be to find a cheap set and have them refinished. Sometimes on ebay there are very nice used sets in the $500-600 range if you don't want to have them refinished.

Whatever you buy make sure you get the center caps, bolts and key with the wheels. Buying the caps and lock bolts/key separately can cost as much as the wheels! Also make sure the center caps have the 0-ring seals (they are about $10-12 each) and a decent looking emblem.

I would definitely not worry about someone stealing 88/89 wheels and center caps because the market for these wheels is very limited. Even if a thief did want the wheels it would be difficult to get them off the car without the specific key for the center cap bolts (and there are a lot of different keys!)

Good luck!

I have never had a problem with my 89s of caps being stolen!

My "O" rings have started to rot out and I couldn't get replacements for them as all were out of stock. One supplier suggested I use the spaghetti-like beading used for keeping screen material in doors. It worked fine! Cost about 5 cents a foot. The material doesn't need to seal anything - just prevent rattling.

Hi !

My name is Kerem from Istanbul ( Turkey )

one week ago , my dream come true and I own a 1988 corvette and I have some trouble.

My EGR valve don't work properly according to snap on ECM codes. And My corvette is very slow :(

There is no "blue" flame with my engine . My question is:

if EGR failllure can cause serious power problem ? and the engine service soon indicator is on.

( I think also to change spark plugs, cable, gas filter etc ) .

take care !!

My name is Kerem from Istanbul ( Turkey )

one week ago , my dream come true and I own a 1988 corvette and I have some trouble.

My EGR valve don't work properly according to snap on ECM codes. And My corvette is very slow :(

There is no "blue" flame with my engine . My question is:

if EGR failllure can cause serious power problem ? and the engine service soon indicator is on.

( I think also to change spark plugs, cable, gas filter etc ) .

take care !!

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Karem. To better get your question answered make a new thread in the C4 Technical forum.

*Edit, I just seen you did that.

Haven't had any problems with mine. Very reliable locking system.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom