Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson Targets the 1984 Corvette

I agree, what a f..king idiot !!! What's the point in this video???

Cheers,

Selim (I love my Vette and all Corvettes)

I think a little plastic, a little paint, and it will be like new. Then, off to James bonds mechanic, some .50 caliber guns, and lets have another go at it, shall we! Lets even it up a little bit for Hank.:L

I think a little plastic, a little paint, and it will be like new. Then, off to James bonds mechanic, some .50 caliber guns, and lets have another go at it, shall we! Lets even it up a little bit for Hank.:L

Thats the best laugh I have had all day! I am all for it, lets find it, do a little somethin somethin, then pay him a visit.

DHS needs to put him on the "No fly" list. And the "No Drive" list. For that matter, let's keep him out of Arizona and the rest of the country too. Nice hair doo,though.:L
Very 80's.

Wonder what would have happened if he went up against something other then a dummy? Of course that would be a little unfair to him don't ya think? :beer

I'd take that Corvette over any British rattle trap.

Jim

WOW.... I think you guys might be taking this guy too seriously.... These are also the guys that send mini coopers over ski jumps and play soccer with small cars.....

Disclaimer: I do not get to see "Top Gear" on a regular basis. So the impressions I have of the show are based upon what limited exposure to I it that have had.

With that disclaimer in place, let me say two things: I have yet to see any clip from Top Gear in which they were more complimentary than disparaging of American manufacturers, design or product. I also have never heard them make even an obliquely negative comment about the one thing we know has historically plagued British vehicles: the electronics.

I think about those two observations, and I come away with the notion that "Top Gear" is basically a couple of a homers, who see it as their mission to tout European product above everyone else in the world.

And with that realization, all credibility to "Top Gear" goes out the window for me.

-Patrick

WOW.... I think you guys might be taking this guy too seriously.... These are also the guys that send mini coopers over ski jumps and play soccer with small cars.....

Maybe, but it's like anyone poking fun at anything you hold dear, like your favorite football team, baseball team, hockey team, etc. People may get a bit defensive.

This is after all, the Corvette Action Center. ;)

Jim

The piece obviously has some age on it. There are other Clarkson videos on youtube showing him destroying other marques/vehicles in different ways.

However, I seem to recall a Top Gear piece on the Z06 that was highly complementary. They ran the ring with it, if I recall correctly. I'll see if I can find it....

Here's the print version (not written by Clarkson):

Z06

Still looking for video...

ok here's some video from the show. Clarkson has a love/hate relationship with the 'vette. Not quite what I remember, but judge for yourself:

BTW, he calls it the Zed Oh Six....

Top Gear Z06

And another view from 5th Gear:5th Gear Z06 Drive

I agree Piet,

It's kinda like the two Myth Buster's guys that go around trying to prove different theories on "what if" situations against conventional wisdom.

People! You should consider taking a chill-pill. I would also like to save all the 69 - 72 Chevy Nova's, the 61 Impalas, the 1962 Volkswagen (rag top), and all the Vettes as well, but that is certainly not possible. :eyerole

GerryLP:cool

Do and say what you will. To me there is no objectivity from these reports, just cheap marketing plugs. To paraphrase what I stated earlier,” What’s the point?" If one is doing an objective evaluation, then that is what I wish to see and hear. Not a ski-jumping Mini, a sinking Citroen, A Honda dropped from a crane, etc. or any car being shot with a chain gun. When it is at these levels it is nothing more then sophomoric humor being generated in the guise of something else. Quick! Pull my finger.

I think they are all funny, but I guess that's because I am a sophomore in college. Well regardless of their bias opinions they are great entertainment. I think they might even be paid for that.

I thought it was rather funny...at least the beginning. But, something rubs me the wrong way when I see something destroyed just for the sake of destroying it. I grew up very poor, so perhaps I have a different perspective than some. But even though the '84 is much maligned, I'm sure there are many, many people out there (myself included) who would love to own and treasure that car.

Cheers,

Joe

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom