Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need Help W/ 4 Speed Ideas

Corvette
1981 Corvette Spectramaster Blue
Ok it has been forever since I really hung out on here and alot has happened since I did I am currently in Iraq in what I hope to be my last year in the army.

The big plus of being over here is that it has opened up more money for the vette and I really want to put a 4 speed transmission into my car, what I am wondering is what are my options and what has to be done to jam it in there.

Thanks,
John Dykstra

Well if it's automatic the pedals and clutch linkage will have to be installed. But if I were you a Tremc 5 spd is the way to go. I have one in my 73 and you can drive it all day and not get tired of it. My 77 I have plans on a 200r4 for the spring building the trans now. I am a fan of overdrives. Good luck and come back safe

Well you have two choices 200r4 or 700r4. The 4l80e is a computer controlled unit. The 200 is pretty much a bolt in. Where as the 700 need to hve the driveshaft shortened. And a redesigned crossmember. I am going with the 200 in my 77. Check www.bowtieoverdrives.com
They have some information that may interest you

When I contacted BTO for a 200-4r swap they said another crossmember would be needed for my 79 with a TH350 trans, but the drive shaft will be fine. They claimed the 200 trans mount was about 7 inches more rearward than my 350. I liked the idea of their tubular crossmember to eliminate the exhaust portholes. You might contact them for your exact needs.

It was my understanding that the stock crossmember could be used. And you eliminate the small bracket that is used for the th350. The 400 and the 200r4 are real close in the mount area.

It was my understanding that the stock crossmember could be used. And you eliminate the small bracket that is used for the th350. The 400 and the 200r4 are real close in the mount area.
I have heard several people say the stock crossmember could be used for the 350 to 200 trans swap, but have never seen any pictures of it done. At least three transmission shops told me I would need a custom crossmember for the mod. Most anything can be made to work with some ingenuity and fabrication, no doubt. I'd like to see a picture of the finished and modified crossmember. I really dislike the limitations and trouble presented by the exhaust portholes, so the BTO tubular crossmember looks attractive for more than just the trans swap. Drag Specialties shows a picture of a stock crossmember modified to eliminate the portholes. It looks like a lot of work and the BTO tubular unit is lighter for around $200.
drivetrain.jpg

I haven't seen pictures of this either, but I have read about it. Can't remember where. I will be doing this swap in my 77. The trans is done, and I have a spare crossmember to play with. Just have to get my butt in gear.

Well I found the dimensions. The 200r4 from the face to the trans mount is 27 inches the 400 is 26 15/16. I am hoping I can get away with the stock crossmember. Eliminate the th350 support and just use the two holes in the top of the crossmember.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom