Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New product? rust remover

IH2LOSE

Corvette
1966,and a 1962 thats almost complete
Anybody here use this product?

http://www.safestrustremover.com/default.asp#

I pop in on another car forum and some one had a link to this product. All though its exspencive,I could think of 1000 times I could have used it.

I am going to contact them on monday to ask some questions but it looks like the magic pill we have all be looking for .

Looks like impressive stuff. Wish I would have known about it a few years ago. I always liked phosphoric acid for small items but this stuff seems to do it all.

BL

Anybody here use this product?

http://www.safestrustremover.com/default.asp#

I pop in on another car forum and some one had a link to this product. All though its exspencive,I could think of 1000 times I could have used it.

I am going to contact them on monday to ask some questions but it looks like the magic pill we have all be looking for .

I'm gonna give you a site that indeed DOES look like a magic pill for rust removal, provided you have a pan large enough to get your part into:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Machining/QuickTricks/RustRemoval/rustremoval.html

Pretty good article on rust removal, plus a great guitar/fretted instrument site for any of you musicians (or former musicians, like me) out there!!

I have to try that. I'm sure I can find something to experiment with tomorrow.

Rusty things are not hard to find in my shop so we'll see what happens. :L

I bought a gallon of the stuff at the World of Wheels car show last winter. I tested it and here's the result. It doesn't work fast though. I think this test took 3-4 days.

Before:
rust_removerbeforepic.jpg

After:

rustremover_after180.jpg

I have a gallon of Oxysolve from Eastwood that I use occasionally. It is great to brush on things or to dip in a can. You have to keep an eye on the parts though because they will disappear if they are too thin.

I started the experiment at 2PM est with about 1 tablespoon of baking soda in an old butter container filled with tap water. The part is an old heavily rusted square washer from one of the odds and end boxes in the back of my truck. I used a large nail for the steel on the positive side. Made the connections and set them in the container then plugged in the battery charger.

Right away the washer started bubbling like an Alka Seltzer tablet and the water started to cloud up. In just a couple of minutes the water was rust colored and the washer wasn't visible any longer. I'll keep an eye on it and see just how long it takes to get the washer rust free.

I started the experiment at 2PM est with about 1 tablespoon of baking soda in an old butter container filled with tap water. The part is an old heavily rusted square washer from one of the odds and end boxes in the back of my truck. I used a large nail for the steel on the positive side. Made the connections and set them in the container then plugged in the battery charger.

Right away the washer started bubbling like an Alka Seltzer tablet and the water started to cloud up. In just a couple of minutes the water was rust colored and the washer wasn't visible any longer. I'll keep an eye on it and see just how long it takes to get the washer rust free.

Keep a close eye on it Tom, it may disappear completely!!!:L:L:L

The scale is off of it and it's now black. The water looks like rust soup. :L Still bubbling..............

At 9:30 it is about 90% rust free but I used up the solution. It had 1/4" of rust sludge in the bottom of the container and the positive electrode which is a pole barn spike was trice it's diameter with rust sludge that collected on it. After I cleaned it off I saw that the spike was being eated away to a degree also. I mixed up some new solution and started over. It's bubbling fast again.

Most stuff with just a little surface rust would have been clean hours ago. Also I could have knocked off the scale before I started.

Well, here's the end product. It is clean. The rust is gone. It may have still been working on the deep pits as it was still bubbling. The charger clip that was hooked to the part is also very clean. The positive clip isn't in too good of shape and the nail was about 25% gone. It was a little corroded anyway and now it is pretty bad. Next time I'll use a big washer or something I can screw a lead wire to and leave the clip outside of the container. It did work very well though. A bigger tub and a rack with multiple leads for the negative side would get you in business cleaning up a lot of small hardware all at once.

Tom

Well, here's the end product. It is clean. The rust is gone. It may have still been working on the deep pits as it was still bubbling. The charger clip that was hooked to the part is also very clean. The positive clip isn't in too good of shape and the nail was about 25% gone. It was a little corroded anyway and now it is pretty bad. Next time I'll use a big washer or something I can screw a lead wire to and leave the clip outside of the container. It did work very well though. A bigger tub and a rack with multiple leads for the negative side would get you in business cleaning up a lot of small hardware all at once.

Tom

Wow I would say that's magic.

My interest in the other product was from there pictures on there web side showing how they spray/drip it on the bottom of a car and then the bottom looks as if it was brand new. How great would it be to be able to derust an undercarriage this way.

This may sway off topic but

So now you have me thinking Tom

It seams every new car I have owned since I would say about 1993 seams to prematurely rust. I means the fuel, and brake lines, frame, bumper brackets, suspension a-arms, u-joints. Just go look under a car of this vintage.

Some rust more then others. With all of the new electronics in a car could a electrical field be generated to cause the opposite of Toms exsperament.Meaning cause it to rust prematurely.

Now I know some of you folks would say Larry your in the east coast home of the rusty cars, but I often go into my brother inn laws shop and see an 80'S non garage kept car up on the lift and it looks like a 20 year old car but not everything is rotted off of it

Has anybody else noticed this,I was trying to figure out if it had to do with so much aluminum in the car and causing a galvanic reaction because of the dis-simular metals and the steel parts became the anode (or sacrificial parts)

Appreciate the info and the quick feedback, Tom. I'd never tried this particular trick, but I've got a lotta faith in the guy who runs the site it comes from, he's particularly good at what he does.

Looks like you should clip your battery charger clips to another piece of metal and let that part submerge into the solution if you don't want your charger clips to be eventually eroded away, huh?

Thanks again,

Ron

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom